Old 04-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #15

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
San Luis Obispo , California
We've had our AS for about 10 days. Took out for its maiden trip over the weekend. The PS rear nite shade won't retract now. Printed out the User Manual from the manufacturer's website. Tried to re-program as described on p. 9, but no luck. Have an appt on the 20th to repair. We also noticed two shades that need a "limit adjustment" so they won't crinkle. Other than that, we enjoyed our first outing.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Check for a blown fuse. I had the 5amp fuse blow so my rear door shades became inoperable. Replaced fuse and all is well.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #17

San Luis Obispo , California
Mcrider: Thanks for the suggestion. I've traced the wiring and both the PS mid & PS rear shades are powered by the same fuse. Inasmuch as the mid shade is working properly, I'm assuming it's not the fuse.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Depere , Wisconsin
Slomanbob...I have exactly the same problem after my recent 6 week trip...blew the 5 amp fuse and PS rear shade became inoperable. Replaced fuse and PS mid shade is fine. My rig is in for service now and I will let you know the cause of the problem PS rear shade
Old 05-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Waynesville , North Carolina
Thanks for the manual download. Do you have to take off the side panel to get to the rollers? If so, is it easy to do... do they snap in somewhere?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarreau View Post
Thanks for the manual download. Do you have to take off the side panel to get to the rollers? If so, is it easy to do... do they snap in somewhere?

Remove screws located in overhead luggage compartment. Then the side panel will pull away sufficiently to access wiring if needed. Limit. Programming switches can be reached without going to this trouble.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Hopefully Airstream has improved the install of these Automotion Shades. I've now had a rear door shade toast a motor. Had to remove the rear interior panel to replace it. And on my current trip I just had another one eat it's own programming switch (twice this has happened). The programming leads can get tangled in the shade as it retracts and will rip the wires apart. I'll better engineer/secure that when I get home and repair. Crappy install by Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3002.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	275856  
Old 11-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Temple City , California
Crappy workmanship for sure. Double sided tape to secure the wire harness is a joke. One of my night shade is not in sync with all night shade function. It'll work independtly, tried to re sync according to the manual but doesn't work. Any clues how to re sync with the rest?
Old 11-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomanbob View Post
We've had our AS for about 10 days. Took out for its maiden trip over the weekend. The PS rear nite shade won't retract now. Printed out the User Manual from the manufacturer's website. Tried to re-program as described on p. 9, but no luck. Have an appt on the 20th to repair. We also noticed two shades that need a "limit adjustment" so they won't crinkle. Other than that, we enjoyed our first outing.
Similar problem with our '17 AI Touring - i.e., cargo door night shade refuses to close; dealership ordered parts over 3 weeks ago - still haven't arrived from Airstream! Seems ordering parts from Airstream is a frustrating and slow process!
Old 11-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Bend , Oregon
The past several model years have migrated from manual to electric shades as you know. While the electric shades are sexy, they seemed poorly engineered and installed.

Our '17 unit has seen a dramatic improvement in the install and performance of the electric shades.

2017 4x4 Interstate
Bend, Oregon
Old 11-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
If the rear shades will not operate, check the fuse. They are fused separately and mine would blow regularly. Switched to a 7.5 amp fuse and that stopped happening.

To re-synch, place the shade in the opposite position of the others and re-program. You will have to re-program the "ALL" Button as well.

What did they change in the '17 install?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
If the rear shades will not operate, check the fuse. They are fused separately and mine would blow regularly. Switched to a 7.5 amp fuse and that stopped happening.

To re-synch, place the shade in the opposite position of the others and re-program. You will have to re-program the "ALL" Button as well.

What did they change in the '17 install?
Assuming that both rear shades share the same fuse, I doubt it's a fuse since one rear shade works and the other doesn't. And it's ONLY the night shade on the passenger side cargo door which doesn't work. The sun shade on that door works fine!

Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Depere , Wisconsin
auto shades

I had a similar problem with one of my night shades i.e. It would work independently but not with all-shade mode. I eventually turned off all power to the rig and waited a minute, then reprogrammed the shade per the manual using the all-shade mode. All of the shades now work as specified.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Ah, I didn't pick up that nuance. I had the same issue. Failed motor for the night shade. Sun and Night shade comes as a unit so you have to replace it in one go. If under a year, it is still under warranty. If not and you plan to do it, you have to pull the back door trim off. Not hard, but you need trim tools, patience and time. There are two spring clips that hold the blind in (on the glass facing side of the window. Push up and it releases the blind frame.