Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Audio/Visual Schematic

Prior to my purchasing my 2013 AI the previous owner had a dealer install the Tracvision A7 in-motion satellite system. It only works with DIRECTV. If you are a DIRECTV customer it only costs a few dollars a month to add the extra receiver. However, I have Dish Network and the lowest priced DIRECTV package was $65. I am going to remove the Tracvision and sell it on eBay.

The Tailgater system works with Dish and I found a used one for a good price. Since I am a Dish subscriber, it only costs me $7.00 a month and only for those months where I am using the system.

Hooking it up exposed some wiring issues. A few weeks ago we had camped at a place that had cable. I hooked it up to the outside of the AI but there was no signal. The same thing happened when I hooked up the Tailgater.

To find the problem I removed the left side panel in the front upper storage area. First of all I discovered the original equipment antenna booster was gone. I also found three coax cables that were not hooked up to anything. The total number of coax cables was five and they were all labeled.

I called the factory to get some information on where those cables should be hooked up. They sent the attached A/V schematic which is a great help. To get the wiring back to the way it was when it left the factory, I have ordered the booster. To make sure there is a connection from the outside cable inlet, I hooked up the cable to my Tailgater and it worked.

I also discovered two HDMI cables in that front overhead storage area. The one with the yellow ends goes to the front TV while the one with the white ends goes to the rear TV. Since my Tailgater receiver only had HDMI or RCA out connections, I have ordered a HDMI amplified splitter so I can have the Tailgater signal on both TV's.

Now all I need is to install the original equipment omnidirectional antenna and I should be good to go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coax wiring diagram.pdf (108.0 KB, 568 views)
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The coax diagram is a tremendous help - thanks for sharing. Other posts have bemoaned inconsistencies in how Airstream does their wiring - but this at least gives me a place to start. I am considering various satellite options (Tailgater being one of them) and this will help me in whichever one I choose. I am also considering a Winegard Mission in-motion (works with Direct or Dish). That seems to be similar to what you are removing. We currently have cable at home so, unlike you, we have nothing on that front to harmonze with.

Who did you contact to get this? I's like to get a similar diagram for the DC and AC systems. I would be very helpful as I customize the power system to better suit my needs - installing more cut-off switches, etc. Thus far I've jsut done simple add-ons (hardwired surge protector, battery temperature , and state-of-charge monitor with the better Magnum remote. More modifications planned for this year.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I talked to Mike in service. He was very helpful.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Audio/Visual Schematic

Thanks for sharing that 2013 A/V diagram. It adds a missing piece to a set I got from Airstream last year. I think they will now give you diagrams since the 2015 owners manual has them all in the back pages.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Boxster1971,Would you be willing to post yours on ths forum like was done with the A/V? Have you done enough checking to have confidence in them? If you can't post, can you provide a drawing number or some sort of desciption so that I know what to ask for.
Thanks
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I can post later as I'm in Key West at the moment without good WiFi. When I asked Airstream last year I requested wiring diagrams for my model. They didn't send me a complete set because they said some were for in house use only. But now I see those same diagrams in the 2015 owners manual. They wouldn't send me the main DC diagram for some strange reason.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
My antenna booster arrived recently so I could finish up the A/V wiring. The Winegard booster I bought also had a 12V outlet. The wires had been cut during the installation of the Tracvision A7 so the first order of business was soldering ends on the wires and attaching those leads. It was tight mounting the new booster because of the 12V outlet. It would not fit in the original hole so I switched the locations for the booster and the 120V outlets. I had to do a little wood shaving with my utility knife to get the 120V outlet to fit in the booster hole. The end result was everything fit.

The Dish 211Z receiver that works with the Tailgater antenna does not have a coax output. Because the HDMI connection would be the best quality, I bought an amplified HDMI splitter to I could have the satellite output on both TV's. It works great as the image on both TV's is excellent.

The Tailgater antenna will ride on top of the dog's cage while traveling. Looking forward to using it during our California trip next month.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basking Ridge , New Jersey
Does the Tailgater receive/provide HD signals, or are you just using HDMI as it is your only output option on the box you have from DishNetwork.

As a quick aside, Our 2014.5 AI came with an HDMI switching unit already installed, that allows as many as 4 inputs to each of 2 outputs. Overkill for the 1 Bluray Player installed, but will allow you to add digital satellite, video game system, Ipod/Ipad with proper output cable etc. or even a laptop with the right cabling.

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yes it does receive HD signals.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Carlsbad , California
Does anyone know how the HDMI cable was wired (drivers or passenger side) in a 2012 Interstate? I have to rewire mine as the end broke off near the back TV
02interstate is offline   Reply With Quote