Old 09-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Cape Coral , Florida
Atlas Privacy Shades

We have a 2019 Atlas on order and our only major concern is regarding the privacy shades for the cab windows and windshield. AS hides (in the fine print) the fact that these are inexpensive magnetic shades that are far inferior to what is offered even on much lower priced competitors Sprinter based RV's. We are used to pull curtains on our Winnebago VIA which are very easy to use. The thought of having to wrestle with and store several cumbersome shades that do not fully cover the windows is a big concern. Does anyone have experience with these type of shades and/or know of an after market alternative?

Atlasonorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Atlas. Please give us updates once you pick it up.

As for the front cab screens, I have no specific knowledge of them, just wondering how you heard they were inferior to others? Why not give them a try first before planning on replacements?

rowiebowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlasonorder View Post
We have a 2019 Atlas on order and our only major concern is regarding the privacy shades for the cab windows and windshield. AS hides (in the fine print) the fact that these are inexpensive magnetic shades that are far inferior to what is offered even on much lower priced competitors Sprinter based RV's. We are used to pull curtains on our Winnebago VIA which are very easy to use. The thought of having to wrestle with and store several cumbersome shades that do not fully cover the windows is a big concern. Does anyone have experience with these type of shades and/or know of an after market alternative?
ATLASONORDER - First, you are comparing apples to oranges. Setting aside which material is better for now. The VIA has a much wider front cab than the AI or Atlas. I believe it is as wide as the rear width, and if not, definitely wider than the standard Sprinter cab width. Enough width that they can put curtains. Curtains take a lot of volume because when they stack, they have to stay there but still clear the entire window AND windshield (by law). There is no such room to do so in the confines of the standard width of a Sprinter cab. Doing so will interfere with door operation or captains seat swivel operation or both.

Regarding materials - in 2014 we had opportunity to travel with friends on a day trip in their 14 or 15 VIA. The curtains were not thermal curtains. Which means they block light but did little to help with heat & solar energy reduction. Maybe their new curtains incorporate the thermal lining on new MY's but that means even thicker stacking than non-thermal curtains. Definitely a non-starter for standard Sprinter cab width. Just too bulky.

Regarding quality - not sure which "small print" you refer to. Please enlighten us if you could post. Agree with ROWIEBOWIE - how can you tell it is inferior if you have not used one before? Please elaborate. For our personal use, I agree in that the AI or Atlas solution IS cumbersome at first but I prefer to have as much room in the cab, instead of curtains flapping behind my seat, even if AS were to offer it. I find curtains in a vehicle inferior (not due to quality) but because they attract dirt easily and tend to degrade faster due to constant exposure to UV and curtain fabrics always degrade faster than reflective sunscreens.

Between the side window & windshield tint, & the AI/Atlas supplied window shades, they do an excellent job of reducing UV, VLT, TSER to better levels than the curtain solution does. If I was to spend big bucks anyway on an alternative shade solution, try investigate the tinting options you can get with LLUMAR or 3M or other reputable tint brands.

I have not seen a window curtain solution that appealed to me, until the day that they incorporate them built-in to the door cavity itself and above the windshield/headliner. Then I may consider it. The cumbersome installation is not really cumbersome once you get used to it. It's just different.

Best of luck in the search. CONGRATS on Atlas purchase.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Deland , Florida
Congratulations on selecting the Atlas, my husband and I will be getting ours in 3 weeks and can’t wait! If you are on Face Book, there is an active ‘Airstream Atlas’ group you may want to join. This would be a good question to some of the folks that have already received theirs. Good luck and happy travels!
AtlasFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:17 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Cape Coral , Florida
Sorry for my delay in responding. Busy week. Thanks for all three feedbacks! One thing I forgot to mention is that our two cats love to sit on the dashboard and would certainly tear up the supplied shades trying to get there. I think we will use the supplied shades for long term storage and have custom curtains similar to those supplied on the LTV units made for every day use. While on the road we pull the curtains multiple times per day so the supplied shades would be to cumbersome to use and the curtains much more convenient.
Atlasonorder is offline   Reply With Quote