Old 12-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Sautee , Georgia
Are we crazy

My wife is trying to talk me into driving our Airtream out to our place in Breckenridge for New Year's Eve. Looking at the live cameras on I 70 the highway is clear with plenty of car and heavy truck traffic. Of course, that can change at any time. Also, the low temps this coming week are 2 and 3 degrees. The AI is winterized at this time but we would need to sleep in it and use the bathroom on the 4 night trip out to Breckenridge. Any one with experience similar to this? Feeling insecure. LOL

Old 12-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Yes

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
[snip]
Feeling insecure. LOL
This suggestion is meant to be a joke, right?

Old 12-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Assuming that you aren't camping, you can use RV antifreeze for the toilet and bottled water for drinking. Be sure the propane is topped off.

Hopefully during the winterizing process, RV antifreeze was run thru the black/gray water pump and out the hose.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
In addition to the helpful advice you've received so far...😳

No, you're not crazy. You love your Airstream and want to use it.

You say to YOUR PLACE there - are you saying you'd need your Airstream facilities during the trip but not when you get to your place? If so - you could avoid the dewinterizing process by just using it as your rolling home and staying at places where you can use facilities on the way to your destination.

I don't think it would be as fun as you'd expect but it certainly doesn't make you crazy.

Can you say more about what you envision the trip to look like? Folks might have more practical suggestions. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
alternate potty - homer bucket with kitty litter in it, dispose of at rest stops
OR - heavy duty plastic bag lining the toilet, dispose of at rest stops
OR - do you have nerf bars on your truck? paper towel to keep buttocks from sticking to nerf bars - front and side doors (curbside) opened - brace the last inch of your tailbone on the nerf bar, do what you have to do - clean up and carry on (watch out for drones).
Old 12-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Sautee , Georgia
Steve we would be staying in our house in Breckenridge with the AI parked and plugged in. We would be traveling through Alabama, Missippi and Texas on I 20 then up thru Oklahoma on I 35 to Kansas, turning west on I 70 for a last nite in Kansas continuing on 70 to Brekenridge. So, we will be spending 4 nights in RV parks along the way if we do it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
The potential delays, problems with the pluming while in very cold weather etc. could end costing more than staying motels along the way.

Driving with out the trailer would much less stressful.

Flying would get you to your place for a longer more relaxed stay.

If you did take the trailer and use the facilities then you would have to winterize there and again once back home.

The pleasure of R Ving can turn into a lot less fun in trying weather.

Lots of considerations only you can sort for yourself.

Does sound a little crazy to me. You did ask.

Cheers Richard
Old 12-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Sautee , Georgia
tevake thanks for the input. It is an Airstream Interstate so I would not be towing just driving the thing, but your right I think in your comments about it could turn out to be no fun at all. Thanks again for your response.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Personally I feel more comfortable driving my Airstream Interstate cross-country than I do driving my Honda Fit subcompact. The bigger vehicle gives one a bit more… authority, I guess, when dealing with other traffic on the road, so that other traffic is less intimidating. And with all of the traction and stability control devices on a Sprinter van, handling isn't really any worse than a passenger car, either.

My recommendation is, take your Airstream Interstate, but don't use it as an RV, just use it as a van. Keep the van winterized. Take advantage of motels and restaurants along the way. But if overnight lows are going to be in single digits, running the furnace overnight would not be amiss, while you're sleeping in a rented bed and bathing in a rented shower with unlimited hot water and eating food someone else has cooked.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Sure just my two cent. I hadn't realized you are talking about a small motorhome. And have a place to plug it in while there. Casts a different light on it. Do the AIs have a belly pan that helps warm the pluming while the interior heat is keeping the interior from freezing? The tanks and dump valves are exposed on the older classic Mohos.

I do wonder if finding open parks along the way would be a challenge.

Appreciate your adventuresome spirit.

Let us know how your trip goes.

Cheers Richard
Old 12-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The Con's vastly outweigh the Pro's in my opinion.

If you go, I hope you will let us all know how it goes . . .

Protagonist has it right IMO -- use the Interstate as a van, and keep it winterized -- that would work if you are comfortable driving it in a blizzard and deep snow -- have good snow tires, chains, etc.. [edit -- and very good towing insurance for high altitude rescues from the ditch]

Heading into high elevations after the first day of winter (today?) -- near the Continental Divide -- one should expect the worst.

If you are banking on the current weather, good forecast, traffic cams showing light traffic etc. etc. (as suggested in your first post), then you are being naive, again in my personal opinion. If you appreciate the full set of risks you are running, then yes, your sense of adventure will be fun to see play out . . .

PS -- check out all the precip. heading in from the west coast, and the storm over Salt Lake City heading east to the Rockies as snow:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/nat...r-radar?play=1

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Go for it. Leave the van winterized. Take RV antifreeze with you to use the toilet and take bottled water for other uses. Have antifreeze in the gray tank as well. Watch this video.

Winter Camping: Here We Come!Roadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog
Old 12-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The weather is all upside down at the moment.... while the east is basking in warmth, the west is having quite a lot of rain and snow. The 10 day forecast indicates a lot of snow for much of the west including Colorado! Are you sure you want to risk it?
On an optimistic note, we had a few inches of snow here in Northern Arizona, and the other morning had to back out the Interstate and up our sleep driveway into the road. I was expecting the wheels to be spinning but it just sailed through with no slip at all.