Old 12-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
We have traveled I-70 in November,December,January, and February; the DOT does a great job on the roads. We've also been I-25 from New Mexico to Montana and Idaho in the winter with our Interstate. The Sprinter handles just fine , just don't be in a big hurry slow down and enjoy the adventure. We sometimes camp at a truck stop if campgrounds are closed for the winter, we've even plugged our ceramic heater into their electricity. When you're going from point A to point B, there is nothing like a warm dry motel for a few hours; take along a 100 foot outdoor extension cord, many motels are happy to let you plug in when you're renting their rooms.
Use your Interstate and enjoy it's benefits and all life's excitement and pleasures.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I made a one week trip to Minnesota last February. We didn't camp as it was just too cold. It never got above freezing during the whole trip and never above zero in Minnesota. We stayed with relatives in Minnesota. The Interstate did fine, it was winterized and we used anti-freeze to flush the toilet when using it on the road.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Better have some decent snow tires or chains with you...new law in effect this year.
Colorado Has New Snow Tire Requirements For Passenger Vehicles – Gear Junkie

Not Carrying Chains on I-70 $50 + $17 surcharge

Not chaining up when the chain law is in effect statewide $500 + $79 surcharge

Blocking a highway as a result of not chaining up $1,000 + $157 surcharge

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Is it a question of flying vs driving? Or driving the AI vs a passenger car? If it's the latter then I would take the AI, especially if you have a place to plug it in to run the tank heaters...

I would also get a ceramic heater to keep the inside warmer, winterize the holding tanks and macerator pump. Bypass the water heater but I think you will still need to get some anti freeze into it or make sure that you have all the water out of it...

These rigs are meant to be used for all these activities, if they were just fair weather conveyances then they would be useless (at least to me) I like to roam the earth.. If I could get it to float I would take it to Europe 😀...

I like the comfort of having all the amenities it provides while road tripping. With some planning I do believe it could be a fun trip.. But I would make sure to have chains, a shovel etc...

I also like the fact that I'm on my own schedule, not the airlines... If we want to stay or reroute to see something else it's not a big deal just a simple change of direction...
Old 12-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Physical comfort aside, the OP's main logistical hurdle in this scenario would seem to be the commode. It sounds like the plumbing system can be left winterized and the Interstate used much like a regular van, as Protag suggested. But if one is staying overnight, at a minimum the toilet still has to function. And that can be managed with antifreeze slugging as has been suggested, but it's far from ideal and it presents its own challenges.

For longer-term consideration: this kind of limitation might eventually be overcome by using waterless toilets. There was a recent trailer thread in which posters spoke in positive terms about some of the latest models (can I find that thread right now? no, because I often have trouble backtracking and locating what I want). Historically they've been an over-hyped disaster, but technology marches on, and with those products I think the current tiny house craze is really going to spur additional improvements. I don't think tiny houses are going away any time soon, as people discover their huge financial upside - they are further legitimizing the idea of living in a small wheeled structure. And the market will respond to that by supplying improved products.

I've already planted this seed in the mind of my husband - in the future, down the road (pun intended), we may be switching over to a composting or incinerating toilet model. It would simplify the plumbing, it would free up space otherwise consumed by the black tank, it would remove a pesky sewage management issue, and it would potentially expand the operational range of the Interstate.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A sparkle bucket-ish porta potty with double plastic bags and kitty litter works, without using the toilet. Just stow it carefully with good lid so it can't tip over!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
A sparkle bucket-ish porta potty with double plastic bags and kitty litter works, without using the toilet. Just stow it carefully with good lid so it can't tip over!

I can't help but giggle when I visualize that particular apparatus in a vehicle that sells for a buck and a half. Talk about both extremes of consumer experience.

Reminds me of our first backcountry visit to Big Bend Ranch State Park. The park manager handed us a free BORG bano - a Home Depot orange five gallon bucket with a strip of foam pipe insulation fitted around the rim because that's what they expected campers to use, at least while at the designated launch points / parking spots. And I said no thank you, really, I have a 5-gallon portable marine toilet in the back of my car. And those little potties work very well - except they are also water-based and have the freezing weather limitation.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
My wife is trying to talk me into driving our Airtream out to our place in Breckenridge for New Year's Eve.
[snip]
Wondering if you are still thinking of making the trip. Terrible weather out that way right now.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Sautee , Georgia
OTRA we are watching the weather will decide later this week. I have enjoyed the wide range of opinions and suggestions.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
What's the problem? Just do it , if in very bad weather just park and read a book ,enjoy and have fun...
Old 12-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Merry X-Mas (Festivus, etc) to all.

We might be going to Phoenix for a few days (leaving Saturday or Sunday). I noticed it's in the 30's at night. If we don't use the RV systems (toilets, sinks), and we are not winterized, is that ok? I assume if anything freezes at night, it will thaw during the day. But, want to be sure we don't damage anything.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
We might be going to Phoenix for a few days (leaving Saturday or Sunday). I noticed it's in the 30's at night. If we don't use the RV systems (toilets, sinks), and we are not winterized, is that ok? I assume if anything freezes at night, it will thaw during the day. But, want to be sure we don't damage anything.
It's not just the temperature, it's the duration. Water doesn't freeze instantly, so if the below-freezing temperatures are only for two or three hours, you're probably okay, whether you use on-board systems or not.

If you have access to an electrical hookup and can use the tank heaters plus the water heater, the only things that will be at risk of freezing are the macerator pump and the external fittings (municipal water inlet and external shower connection. Not much you can do about the macerator pump— but if you ran it dry last time you used it, and don't use it when the temperatures are below freezing, it shouldn't retain enough water to hurt it. Mine has survived winter camping that way when the temperature dropped below freezing.

As for the external fittings, the best protection I can think of without winterizing is a couple of Styrofoam hose bibb covers…
http://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-FC1.../dp/B001FG3C1C
I use these when I go winter camping and I'm expecting the temperature to drop below freezing overnight. If you can't think of any other way to attach them over the shower connection and municipal water intake, you can always use duck tape; just make sure you also carry some Goo Gone to remove the adhesive residue afterward.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Sautee , Georgia
Thanks Protagonist l have run the macerator pump dry and I have disconnected the external shower water supply from the inside after draining it dry. I will have power each night we stop on the way and when we are in Breckenridge. We will not be using the water system at all and it will stay winterized. Thanks again for your advice. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Yes, thanks Protag. Merry x-mas too!

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote