Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #71
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I have been towing trailers of various types and sizes and have never had such a device installed on any of them in 40 years of towing. It's just another thing you think need if you are paranoid about such things. Last three flat trailer tires I had were due to rotten valve stems, and were discovered before embarking, or at destination. I have since had metal valve stems installed on most of my trailers. Wife's horse trailer is next.
Yes, I know what you mean. When I grew up in the 1950s, there were over 150,000,000 people in the US. A large percentage of them were on the highways frequently, yet essentially none of then ever wore a seat belt. Of those, a large majority died of causes other than highway accidents. Many, including me, are still alive today. Now we have laws requiring us to wear seatbelts. Just doesn't make sense.

So if I were you, I would consider myself lucky enough to not need safety items, because you have a proven record of detecting problems before they fail. As long as you wear your seat belt, the odds are greatly in your favor to die of other causes, before you have a chance to die of a blowout induced automobile accident.

However, being a pessimist by nature, I generally go against the odds and prepare for worst case scenarios. What a waste of money, I've still been in some scary situations in my life.

Ken
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #72
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Ravenna , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
snip

I tried some tire pressure monitors that replaced the valve stem caps, but they were rigged to make them difficult to steal and in turn difficult to remove to air the tires. They now occupy a cardboard box in my garage.
Not all TPMS require the use of anti-theft setting. I marked the caps on mine with wheel position, so if I were concerned with potential of theft it's simple to unscrew and re-attach in proper location as I do not use the anti-theft set screw.
__________________

__________________
Retired tire engineer (40 years). Write a blog on RV tires.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #73
Newbie
 
joemikeb's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I have been towing trailers of various types and sizes and have never had such a device installed on any of them in 40 years of towing. It's just another thing you think need if you are paranoid about such things. Last three flat trailer tires I had were due to rotten valve stems, and were discovered before embarking, or at destination. I have since had metal valve stems installed on most of my trailers. Wife's horse trailer is next.
Single or tandem duals on a trailer are one thing, but duals are another proposition altogether. With the single or tandem tires it is easy to visually check the condition of the tires and stems but with side-by-side duals, like those on the Sprinter 3500, it is virtually impossible to accurately assess the condition of the inner tire/wheel without dismounting the outer wheel or at the very least crawling under the vehicle with a flashlight and a tire thumper. Fortunately a flat on the inner dual is unlikely to create severe instability or handling problems. Unfortunately the most likely indication of a problem will be the flames from the burning tire seen in the rear view mirror.

That is why I am still looking for an internal TPMS for my AI. At one point I found a TPMS with sensors that are strapped/glued to the inside of the wheel with no external connection other than an RF link. At the time I though they were too expensive, but I have more experience now and think they may well be worth the additional cost. All I have do do is find that #&$% URL.
__________________
Make errors ó otherwise the Great Spirit realizes
you have finished your purpose on earth.

ó Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #74
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Ravenna , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Yes, I know what you mean. When I grew up in the 1950s, there were over 150,000,000 people in the US. A large percentage of them were on the highways frequently, yet essentially none of then ever wore a seat belt. Of those, a large majority died of causes other than highway accidents. Many, including me, are still alive today. Now we have laws requiring us to wear seatbelts. Just doesn't make sense.

So if I were you, I would consider myself lucky enough to not need safety items, because you have a proven record of detecting problems before they fail. As long as you wear your seat belt, the odds are greatly in your favor to die of other causes, before you have a chance to die of a blowout induced automobile accident.

However, being a pessimist by nature, I generally go against the odds and prepare for worst case scenarios. What a waste of money, I've still been in some scary situations in my life.

Ken
1921 24.09 people died per MM miles traveled
1950 7.24
1985 2.47
2012 1.47
I think the highway and vehicle regulations have made driving safer. No single change can be cited as the reason but the cumulative effect is unquestionable.
__________________
Retired tire engineer (40 years). Write a blog on RV tires.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #75
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Ravenna , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
Single or tandem duals on a trailer are one thing, but duals are another proposition altogether. With the single or tandem tires it is easy to visually check the condition of the tires and stems but with side-by-side duals, like those on the Sprinter 3500, it is virtually impossible to accurately assess the condition of the inner tire/wheel without dismounting the outer wheel or at the very least crawling under the vehicle with a flashlight and a tire thumper. Fortunately a flat on the inner dual is unlikely to create severe instability or handling problems. Unfortunately the most likely indication of a problem will be the flames from the burning tire seen in the rear view mirror.

That is why I am still looking for an internal TPMS for my AI. At one point I found a TPMS with sensors that are strapped/glued to the inside of the wheel with no external connection other than an RF link. At the time I though they were too expensive, but I have more experience now and think they may well be worth the additional cost. All I have do do is find that #&$% URL.
If you think you can visually check tire see if you can tell me the inflation of this outer dual.


How about this time


One problem with internal TPM sensors is the cost /difficulty of changing them when the battery dies.

Batteries on my TPM are $1.75 each


Note the SOLID mount of the hose ends. 18,500 miles and no leaks.
This picture does not show my external sensors.
__________________
Retired tire engineer (40 years). Write a blog on RV tires.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #76
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
1921 24.09 people died per MM miles traveled
1950 7.24
1985 2.47
2012 1.47
I think the highway and vehicle regulations have made driving safer. No single change can be cited as the reason but the cumulative effect is unquestionable.

I hope you realize that my post that you quoted was intended to be satire.


I believe there is some law of nature that forbids arguing with satire.


Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus
 
Pick's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,310
Images: 36
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I used to drive tractor trailer. We checked our tires multiple times daily with a "tire thumper", a small wooden bat. Once you learn the feel/sound of a good tire vs a bad tire, it's all you need.
__________________
ARS WA8ZYT
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #78
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I used to drive tractor trailer. We checked our tires multiple times daily with a "tire thumper", a small wooden bat. Once you learn the feel/sound of a good tire vs a bad tire, it's all you need.
Just one more comment:
They manufacture so I presume they sell many different TPMSs for Semi tractor trailers.


Here is a scenario:
You have been driving down the highway towing your Airstream. About 10 mins ago you left a rest stop and on the entry ramp to the highway, you ran over a number 10-2 1/2 inch sheet metal screw that was dropped by the truck in front of you It was driven entirely into your right rear trailer tire. It is leaking at the rate of 5 psi every two minutes. your trailer tire is now 25 PSI low. Your TMPS would be alarming to alert you to the safety hazard, but you don't have one. How are you going to thump that with your small wooden bat? Because of the dual axles, you will not detect any difference to cause you to stop and check it. It's not likely to cause any injury to you when the tire disintegrates, but fairly like to cause damage to the trailer. However perhaps you like repairing that sort of thing, so in that case no problem.


My personal opinion is that your are not safe, just lucky so far, or perhaps just not unlucky. I don't expect this to have any effect on how you conduct yourself, but at least I now feel better.


Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #79
Rivet Master
 
Ron_CA's Avatar
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 665
I'll chime in FWIW

I have driven Ford 1 ton dually flatbed trucks 100s of thousands of miles in years past. These had lumber racks and were often overloaded (not my choosing just the way it was at work).

Not sure why but the inner tires would most frequently go flat vs the outer tires. These vehicles were not maintained as well as most here will do, but still not one accident or rollover from having a tire failure. I got used to walking by the truck and pushing on the inner tire with my foot to see if there was pressure in the tire. Not a very good system, and not as easy to do with a full body van vs a flatbed.

Those were Fords, we are talking about Sprinters, but still, if you check your pressure frequently, reasonably sure one rear will get you where you need to go.
__________________
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #80
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,042
Images: 11
Are TireMinders Needed?

Usually always when a number 10 screw is picked up by a tubeless tire, it doesn't go flat for hours or days.

On the other hand if the broken end of a leaf spring is driven over in such a manner that it punches a large hole across the tread of a tire,,,

Well,,,, if a person takes reasonable care to check over their tires at a stop, the first tire is still saved, and the second tire is still lost.

A TPMS is not a device that every saved tire can be attributed as saved, nor will it save every tire.

Its value is incremental in this regard, not across the board.

I don't remember the last time I had to change a tire on the side of the road,

Like I say, I don't think it is a bad idea to have TPMS, but it isn't NEEDED, and if I were to consider one it would have internal sensors mounted on the stems, I think the external ones are hokie and asking for trouble.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #81
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,136
Images: 24
Twice I've had trailer tire blowouts. Both times on the freeway. I'll say it's no fun changing a tire on a slanted busy road. Both times a single axle trailer so I couldn't roll to a better location. Had I known in advance maybe I could have done something.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
__________________
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #82
Rivet Master
 
UKDUDE's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,038
Since TPMS is mandatory on the 2500 Sprinters, does anyone know if that display technology is there under the covers on the 3500's? Would be very convenient if it could be enabled via an ECU tweak at the dealer, so the standard display could be used. Assuming it can handle 6 tires of course.
__________________
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #83
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,748
I doubt that there are any sensors that both fit the Alcoa wheels and are compatible with the Sprinter system.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #84
Rivet Master
 
UKDUDE's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I doubt that there are any sensors that both fit the Alcoa wheels and are compatible with the Sprinter system.
Cap sensors can't be used with the Sprinter system?
__________________

__________________
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed, and perhaps a tip or two. Curtis-79MH Airstream Motorhome Forums 12 06-26-2007 02:43 PM
HELP PART NEEDED! Aluminum Termination Cap... InsideOut Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 46 03-20-2006 07:08 AM
Help!! Refrigerator Access Door Needed! Melissa Hamilton Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors 13 01-19-2004 05:03 PM
Organization Experts Needed! Andy R Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 7 04-10-2003 07:53 PM
Propane Tanks - New OPD Needed? montanaandy LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 18 06-17-2002 01:11 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.