Old 04-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
"guide only"

We can get into a discussion of semantics which will not be of much help to anyone.

It is true that each system has slightly different responses to operating changes. Some may be more sensative to sudden pressure changes than others. I know of one system that no only warns of a loss of air at the -15% from cold inflation set point but also gives a different warning if you loose 5psi from the Hot Pressure in a few minutes as I recall.

I have seen fairly quick pressure drops with the start of rain which drops the tire temperature and also the pressure.

It will not take the driver much time to learn the various responses of his system. An occasional tap of a button on the display will show the current pressure and possibly the current temp (+/- a few psi and a few degrees).

Don't get distracted with the display keep your eyes on the road and enjoy the trip. The TPM will provide faster and more accurate information and warning than any visual or manual inspection or IR gun or baseball bat rap on a tire after stopping.
Tires is a hot topic with me too - ask my wife - she comments about how often I'm on my arthritic knees in the garage checking them with the Milton gauge and Viair compressor!
Here in the southwest we have a pretty severe environment, and was wondering how any TPMS can handle (for example) in the space of 2 hours a trip to Flagstaff (7000 ft and chilly) and then to Phoenix (1100 ft and HOT).
I can watch changes in psi on the dash of my Touareg, and when I return home and it cools down, all is back to what it was when I started.
So the question is really whether an aftermarket TPMS could do the same, and can differentiate between a change due to the circumstances; or whether there's a problem.
I hope that clarifies my question.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
One of the smartest ways, (IMO of course), to be tire safe on large vehicles is to put new tires on the front before they are half worn out and move the old tires back to the back paired as a set of duals.

This way a person always has fresh tires on the front where a blow out is more likely to be a safety concern.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
While TPMS was first adopted in Europe in the 80s, it became mandated (TREAD) in the US in the late 90s due to rash of tread separation on under-inflated Firestone tires on Ford Explorers being driven at high speeds in the summer in the South that led to rollover accidents. IIRC, this led to Firestone being bought by Bridgestone.

Not sure how the Sprinter 3500 escapes the req't since TREAD applies to all vehicles under 10,000 lbs.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #46
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Mercedes "escapes" it because they are 11,030. Mandated requirement cuts off at 10,000 pounds.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #47
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
What I use

Since the thread has deteriorated to "what does need mean", I thought I'd change the subject a bit.

This is what I use:

TPMS, TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS - PRESSURE TRACK HD PLUS PURCHASE

It was apparently the inspiration for the Tire Minder. The last time I looked they appeared identical and apparently operate pretty much the same. However the Hawks Head was available at least a couple years before the Tire Minder of similar appearance.

When we tow we always have at least two people in the trailer, so we keep the control unit on the far right side of the windshield and the passenger is responsible for it. If I'm driving the truck alone, I move it to the lower left of the windshield.

My impressions:

It give me a very secure feeling to know that the tires are as they should be. The sensors will all read within .2 PSI of each other on the same tire. Comparison with my best pressure gauges have convinced me they are very accurate. The owner of Hawks Head told me each sensor was calibrated in a barometric chamber. I believe that to be true. I have a long trailer and TV, but I do not have the optional signal repeater. Sometimes, but not often, the control unit decides one of the sensors is missing. However it recovers from that in a couple minutes. Since it is always one of the trailer tires, I believe the repeater would correct that. I have never used any other brand, so I can not give a comparison. Since extra sensor are inexpensive compared to the whole system, I decided to monitor the spare on the truck and trailer also. It is nice to know that I would be able to change out and tire with one already at the correct pressure. The extra sensors on the spares also provide a back up in case of the 8 sensors on the road tires should be lost or fail. (has not happened in 4 1/2 years I have had it).

I chose the external sensor type for the ease of maintenance and replacement. I have had experience in what is required in the course of replacement of the internal sensors and it is not to my liking.

Ken
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Mercedes "escapes" it because they are 11,030. Mandated requirement cuts off at 10,000 pounds.
Does anyone know if there is a logical reason for this or just lobbying by certain groups? I'm guessing that is 10,000 GVW rating. Is that correct?

Ken
Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Didn't realize they were going by gross weight. Not sure why they have any limit.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:

I have a 2013 Sprinter Leisure Van that weighs 9800 and was built in Canada that does not have TPMS.

This thread is testing my self esteem and makes me wonder how a survived all these years driving without a rear view camera, TPMS and a dash mounted GPS. Guess I'd better park those classic cars I have and hide under the bed!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Gadgetits?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I have a 2013 Sprinter Leisure Van that weighs 9800 and was built in Canada that does not have TPMS.

This thread is testing my self esteem and makes me wonder how a survived all these years driving without a rear view camera, TPMS and a dash mounted GPS. Guess I'd better park those classic cars I have and hide under the bed!
There is nothing wrong with how anyone chooses to live. I only feel bad if someone is not aware of the possible consequences of their actions. Since I'm pretty sure you are, go at it.

I'm 99.99% sure I'll never win the jackpot in Powerball, but I still buy a ticket to cover that other .01% I'm 80% sure I won't have a tire going flat that I won't see before disaster happens, but I still use a TPMS for the other 20%. Life is all about taking chances. We all get to decide which ones we as individuals are willing to take. Don't be offended if someone tells you that you are making the wrong choices if you yourself are happy with them.

Remember the fellow whose bride said on their wedding night, "Who do you think you are going to please with that little thing?"

His confident response was, "ME!!"

Ken
Old 04-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #53

There are apparently some here who have unclean thoughts. So just to clarify, the little object in the anecdote in the previous post was a complementary sized hotel room bottle of Jose Cuervo Clasico which the gentleman was not disposed to sharing.

Ken
Old 04-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Looks like many different opinions on the subject - nothing wrong with that!

For my part, I try to do anything I can to minimize possible tire trouble on the road.

- I replace tires pretty religiously every five years or so, even if they still look fine.

- I do a walk around and visual inspect tires before the start of each days travel, and also at every opportunity when we stop en route for fuel/rest etc. I check temperatures at that time - sometimes with an IR instrument, but usually just by touch. Of course at the same time, I keep an eye on the hitch and also for anything else on the trailer that might not look right.

- I recently switched from ST to LT tires on the trailer.

- I use TPMS on our Tow Vehicle, our trailer, (and also on our motorcycle) to hopefully give me some advance warning of a developing problem as we travel. I know that it is no guarantee, but I feel that at there is a good chance it could warn me of a developing situation before it gets much worse!

Even if I don't get warnings from the TPMS, I use the TPMS to cycle through the tires periodically to check all temperatures and pressures as we travel.

Just got home two days ago from an 8,300km "snowbird" trip - thankfully with no problems at all!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

.................................................. ........................

Even if I don't get warnings from the TPMS, I use the TPMS to cycle through the tires periodically to check all temperatures and pressures as we travel.

.................................................. ......

Brian.

Good Idea!!

We do that also, anything out of sorts will show up that way first. In addition it gives a good idea what is normal under different conditions.

Ken
Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #56
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
The question has been asked about the 10K limit for TPMS.

This cut off point has been around a long, long time. The original federal tire regulations from the late 1960's recognized this line - and I'm pretty sure the regulations on vehicles pre-date that and recognize this same limit (even though it is pretty arbitrary).

There are a lot of regulations that cover vehicles over 10K that do not apply to those under. By and large, these vehicles are commercial vehicles and it seems to be the case that companies do a better job of maintaining vehicles than individuals do. (I know, I know. There are a ton of exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the rule.)