Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You are 100% correct don't put the valve cap type sensors on any tire with rubber valve stems. You will need ridged stems and I have found that the famous "Borg" dually kit now comes in a version specifically designed for the Interstate set-up with Alcoa and OEM Steel wheels. But I really don't like the screw-on sensors.

Here is link if anyone is interested: DL1SPAL Chrome Duallyvalve Kit

Since I'm about to install all new Michelin tires I'll get the proper valve stem installed at the same time. Being an engineer I'm trying to duplicate the OEM internal TPMS. The only suitable one I've found is from TST:
Truck System Technologies - TST 507 Internal Tire Pressure KitTST Trucking Systems

Only problem is the supplied valve stems will not work on the Sprinter. TST referred me to Bill "Borg" Falkenborg who was reported to have the proper adapter to get these internal sensors on his Dually Valve kit. I called Bill and he does not yet have the adapters developed. So I'll have to wait a few weeks to go forward. If all else fails I'll get his DL1SPAL dually stems installed and use the screw-on sensors.
I'd be interested if you find out that Borg gets his adapters developed.

Interestingly enough, the wheel in the video looked similar to the Alcoa wheel that AS uses. Could you tell if you had to program the sensor before installation or could it be done afterwards? Wasn't sure how close the sensor had to be to the monitor. Hopefully they don't have to be pre-programmed as you'd have to break down the tires when rotating. Of course you have to do that on four of the six anyway. Seeing the several cords in the picture would lead one to believe that the monitor could be plugged in.

I had to chuckle when I pictured my AS on jack stands while awaiting the turn-around on battery replacement.

As an aside, when I mentioned putting a rigid extension on the inside dual, my service adviser mentioned the risk of road debris snapping it off.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Here's something I've been wondering for quite a while: how do tire minders handle the fluctuation in pressure due to temperature and altitude changes?
I have a VW Touareg that conveniently displays all tire pressures. Starting from home in a cool garage, they can rise by anything up to 6psi on a hot day. And when parked outside, pressure in the tires facing the sun will be way higher than those in the shade.
Do the minders give false alarms?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I have the TST screw on sensors mounted on the Dually Valves. The screw on's use an included wrench to install and remove them. Without the wrench they simply spin on the stem making them difficult to steal. The TST system is very easy to program and works great.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
This question is sort of like asking if a first aid kit is needed.

This post basically sums it up. So I decided to quote it and make it bold. I think that's basically equivalent to a +1.

Ken
Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Ocean City , Maryland
I, had Dually valves installed on my 2014 ext. cab from Colonial in October, as of this date no complaints, ease of use with NO lost pressure. Cost was $120.00 if my recollection is correct.

Hope this helps
Old 04-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
This question is sort of like asking if a first aid kit is needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
This post basically sums it up. So I decided to quote it and make it bold. I think that's basically equivalent to a +1.
Since both of you own trailers, not Interstates, I fully understand why you rate TPMS equal to first aid kits in importance.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Since both of you own trailers, not Interstates, I fully understand why you rate TPMS equal to first aid kits in importance.
I understand what you are implying. However TPMSs are not just for trailers. They are a very important safety tool for any vehicle. I realize that many people especially in certain parts of the country, scoff at any new government regulations. However I believe that it is significant that most new vehicles are now required to be equipped with some type of TPMS.

All 6 (counting the Airstream) of our vehicles are equipped either with a factory or aftermarket TPMS except for my 55 MG.

A blow out (especially the front tire) at interstate speed is an emergency situation especially in a high center of gravity vehicle such as any class of motorhome. Since most high speed blowouts are preceeded by a slow reduction of tire pressure, it seems silly to me to ignore the availability of a device that will warn the driver of that slow leak. I am willing to bet that the vast majority of Airforums members have never been trained about how to react to a high speed front tire blow out. Most have probably never even have thought about what they would do.

So even though it is very nice to have a TPMS monitoring a trailer’s tires, it is highly unlikely a blowout on a multi axle trailer is going to require any split second emergency action, as a blowout on a tow vehice or motorhome is very likely to require.

The cost of a TMPS amortized over the life of a vehicle is insignificant.

My personal opinion is that not having one is being penny wise and dollar foolish.

It is also my opinion that the reason TPMSs for trailers are becoming popular here is because so many problems have been encountered with the stock Airstream trailer tires.

Ken
Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE123 View Post
I was wondering if I'm a complete idiot for not spending $320.00 on tire minders for my Interstate. Are they worth it and do they work well? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
"Tire Minder" is one brand of TPMS so lets talk about Tire Pressure Monitor Systems in general.

If you rely on a tire pressure gauge all you will know is that the tires were properly inflated the moment you check the tire pressure. If you hit a curb or pothole and the sidewall ends up with a small cut after you leave the campground or you pick up a nail or drywall screw down the highway it will probably be too late by the time someone flags you down to let you know your tire blew out.
It's important to remember that most "Blowouts" are really Run Low Flex Failures.

I did an analysis of this "defective" tire based on out-takes of a video (Long Long Honeymoon).

The full report can be found on my Blog but the bottom line is the tire failed and did damage to his Airstream because he did not know he had a slow leak because he did not have a TPMS.
What is worse is that even after identifying the reason for the damage was his failure to be warned of the loss of air, he chose to ignore my advice to get a TPMS. Since then, he has had another similar failure according to a post I saw.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
RE Tire Plugs.
They might be OK if you discover you have lost a few pounds and need to get off the highway.

BUT I don't know how you will know you have lost just a few psi and not destroyed the tire and possibly damaged the AS.

All should know that neither the DOT nor any tire manufacturer recommends the use of a plug and if you try and get warranty coverage many times the use of a plug will void the warranty.

RE valves. "Snap-in" rubber valves are rated for 65 psi MAX so the use of metal bolt in valves is generally a good idea. Yes if you use one of the many TPM sensors that screw on the valve stem you should use metal stems.

RE internal sensors See THIS thread.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Here's something I've been wondering for quite a while: how do tire minders handle the fluctuation in pressure due to temperature and altitude changes?
I have a VW Touareg that conveniently displays all tire pressures. Starting from home in a cool garage, they can rise by anything up to 6psi on a hot day. And when parked outside, pressure in the tires facing the sun will be way higher than those in the shade.
Do the minders give false alarms?

TPMS measure the pressure and possibly the temperature of the air in the tire. The warning level(s) is part of the set-up.

Altitude is a very minor affect on pressure. I covered this July 8 2011. Death Valley to Denver is only 3 psi different for just altitude (elevation)

Tire pressure is about 2% per 10F change Again when you select which system to get you need to ask about the settings for low pressure, High pressure, Rapid air loss, Fast air loss and max temperature. Also ask about the cost of replacing batteries and length of warranty.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have a SOB sprinter based MH and put the Tireman metal extensions on and it makes it very easy to check pressures. I have a very accurate tire pressure gauge and find that the TMPS is not accurate by my standards. Worst example is my wife's Porsche!

I'll take a $50 tire pressure guage over a $320 system any day.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I have a SOB sprinter based MH and put the Tireman metal extensions on and it makes it very easy to check pressures. I have a very accurate tire pressure gauge and find that the TMPS is not accurate by my standards. Worst example is my wife's Porsche!

I'll take a $50 tire pressure guage over a $320 system any day.

Are your arms long enough that you can reach out and check the pressure every minute or so as a TPMS would do for you as you go down the road?

The absolute accuracy is not the point with a TPMS. You can easily mentally compensate for the difference. The proper way to utilize a TPMS is to set your tire pressures with the most accurate gauge you have. Then use the TPMS to inform you when the pressure is changing while you are moving.

Ken
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
"

Looks like another marathon.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Are TireMinders Needed?

You know I have driven hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles and fact is I have seldom had to change a tire on the side of the road, and I can't ever remember blowing a tire that wasn't on a trailer, and even these were few and far between.

A little care, even just routine visual inspections of tire while on a trip is IMO better that a TPMS, and will for the most part eliminate roadside tire problems.

Another couple of things that prevent blowing tires is removing from service any tire that has been run low, and changing tires with about 20% tread life remaining.

Also, I have this opinion that the vast majority of aftermarket auto electronics is overpriced , problematic, and generally has a very short lifespan.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote