Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boulder , Colorado
Anyone replaced an Interstate roof vent cover?

Has anyone had to replace the cover or lid on the main roof vent? This is the part on the very top of the rig, exposed to the sky. The uppermost cover (see pic).

Ours shattered from a recent hail storm (see other pic). I have a new one but need to install it. (The fan motor, fan blades and screen are all fine.)

Any tips on doing this? Do I just put a really tall ladder against the rig, padded of course to protect the finish, and climb on top to do the swap? Can I reach it just leaning over from the ladder? What tools are needed?

Is this a DIY job?

Or is it best done at a dealer or by someone with a scaffolding or cherry picker?

Thanks for any tips or ideas if anyone has hands-on experience!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	490.9 KB
ID:	319452   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	319453  

valleyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Is it a Fan-tastic fan or MaxxAir? I always forget which fan is on which models.

Climbing on the roof shoukdn’t be a huge problem. My wife and I have been on our roof numerous times.

Regardless of which brand vent you have, you should be able to find a you-tube video with instructions.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
From the photo it is a Maxxfan.

My Maxxfan was replaced by the manufacturer and installed by me under warranty. It is not that hard but you will need a two leg ladder to reach it. The cover can be replaced fairly easily although I replaced the entire unit (and upgraded to one with the remote control).

If you are not comfortable with doing repairs I would recommend you let a dealer do it.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Is it a Fan-tastic fan or MaxxAir? I always forget which fan is on which models.

Climbing on the roof shoukdn’t be a huge problem. My wife and I have been on our roof numerous times.

Regardless of which brand vent you have, you should be able to find a you-tube video with instructions.

Good point, should have mentioned that. It's MaxxFan. Haven't found the right video yet but I'll keep looking.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
From the photo it is a Maxxfan.

My Maxxfan was replaced by the manufacturer and installed by me under warranty. It is not that hard but you will need a two leg ladder to reach it. The cover can be replaced fairly easily although I replaced the entire unit (and upgraded to one with the remote control).

If you are not comfortable with doing repairs I would recommend you let a dealer do it.

Yes, MaxxFan.

Thanks, that's helpful.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
The cover itself is easy to replace with screws on either end. You open it up to attach the front piano hinge, close it and do the rear. Not hard at all.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
The cover itself is easy to replace with screws on either end. You open it up to attach the front piano hinge, close it and do the rear. Not hard at all.

Thanks, that's helpful!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Yes. not hard to do. Just be careful climbing up and down the ladder and transitioning on and off the roof (get a spotter who can hold the ladder steady).

When replacing the gear set in mine, I found it easiest to attach the cover to the mechanism if the knob was turned fully open and then backed off a turn or so. Not fully extended, but yet open enough to reattach.

However, since you will have an insurance claim, you may find the motor, fan blades or screen were damaged. Be sure to evaluate operation fully before just replacing the top. There's a slight chance you could need several parts and, if that's the case, an entire replacement could be called for.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Yes. not hard to do. Just be careful climbing up and down the ladder and transitioning on and off the roof (get a spotter who can hold the ladder steady).

When replacing the gear set in mine, I found it easiest to attach the cover to the mechanism if the knob was turned fully open and then backed off a turn or so. Not fully extended, but yet open enough to reattach.

However, since you will have an insurance claim, you may find the motor, fan blades or screen were damaged. Be sure to evaluate operation fully before just replacing the top. There's a slight chance you could need several parts and, if that's the case, an entire replacement could be called for.

Good advice, thanks. Really good points about the blades and screen!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
I used a 12-foot step ladder to climb onto my roof. Set the ladder so the legs are going forward and back, as close to the AI as possible. I found that midway on the drivers side, just forward of the AC, to be the easiest place on mine. Lots of roof gizmos to steady yourself on. The roof was very sturdy for my 200 lbs.

You might be able to reach what you need while standing on the ladder and leaning way over. Might have someone spot you until you get a feel for it. Might have to move the ladder from side to side.

Luckily my neighbor had the ladder, but you can rent them.

Good luck.
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdave View Post
I used a 12-foot step ladder to climb onto my roof. Set the ladder so the legs are going forward and back, as close to the AI as possible. I found that midway on the drivers side, just forward of the AC, to be the easiest place on mine. Lots of roof gizmos to steady yourself on. The roof was very sturdy for my 200 lbs.

You might be able to reach what you need while standing on the ladder and leaning way over. Might have someone spot you until you get a feel for it. Might have to move the ladder from side to side.

Luckily my neighbor had the ladder, but you can rent them.

Good luck.

Thanks, duckdave, that's helpful advice from someone who's been there/done that!