Old 10-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Also, FYI, a Scan Gauge II will tell you a LOT more than what you can get from the message center. There are some 28 "gauges" that you can monitor realtime. You can display your choice of any 4 "gauges" at one time. Most of the time I watch these:
Manifold Air Pressure (MAP)
Water Temp (FWT)
Intake Air Temp (FIA)
Engine Loading (LOD)
No disputing that, but none of that information will necessarily change the way I drive. That would make the information more of a distraction than a help.

As an engineer, there's a certain "gee whiz" factor to having a bajillion bits of data at my fingertips, but as a Louisiana driver, I need to spend more time watching the road than looking at gauges, to avoid getting creamed by the other wretched drivers who drive their cars the same way they drive their boats.

Now if Scangauge would come up with a heads-up display that superimposes the data on the windshield…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No disputing that, but none of that information will necessarily change the way I drive. That would make the information more of a distraction than a help.
I have mine mounted (with velcro) on the top of the steering column right in line with the main instruments I watch occasionally anyway. I do check MPH and RPM occasionally as I drive. Glancing at a SGII is really no different. And knowing this information DOES change the way I drive. I can improve MPG measurably by monitoring LOD and keeping an eye on water temp will help me extend the life of the engine. Plus, if you have a CEL event, you can get an idea from these indicators whether or not it's something to be concerned about. IMHO!

AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #31

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
I have mine mounted (with velcro) on the top of the steering column right in line with the main instruments I watch occasionally anyway. I do check MPH and RPM occasionally as I drive. Glancing at a SGII is really no different. And knowing this information DOES change the way I drive. I can improve MPG measurably by monitoring LOD and keeping an eye on water temp will help me extend the life of the engine. Plus, if you have a CEL event, you can get an idea from these indicators whether or not it's something to be concerned about. IMHO!
I never said a ScanGauge was useless. I personally probably wouldn't use it to its full potential. To me— and only me— it would be more of a distraction than a help. If I installed one, I probably wouldn't accelerate any slower, drive any slower, or anything else based solely on ScanGauge info, and so my fuel economy probably wouldn't change. And I can get water temp from the dashboard message center already, although in analog, not precice digital numbers. Enough to tell if the engine's overheating, anyway.

Enjoy your ScanGauge, use it in good health. But please, enough with the sales pitch!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Jamul , California
I had a Sprinter for about four years. Also have several friends with them. Several of us had the "check engine" light issue on several occassions. Most of the time there was no difference in power. In these cases (four times), the problem was a bad cylinder. Another time the turbo failed - definitely a reduction in power.

Good luck!

Susanne
Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Protag....
"Enjoy your ScanGauge, use it in good health. But please, enough with the sales pitch!"

No sales pitch at all. I have zero vested interest in the product. Just trying to provide some enlightenment.

Wayne OFF!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Follow-up

Just got back from Mercedes Benz/Sprinter of Baton Rouge. Got to love their level of service!

Turns out the "check engine" light came on because of a chronically low main battery. Not low enough to prevent starting the engine, but low nonetheless. Due in part to the constant electrical drain from the Kenwood head unit and the Viper alarm system.

I've got two options to prevent a recurrence of the problem:

(1) use the main battery disconnect down by the accelerator pedal whenever I park it for a few days, but that would also disconnect my burglar alarm system so I'd rather not;

(2) drive it more often to keep the battery topped off. They recommend twice a week. Not exactly a hardship since I can drive it to work, but annoying because I've got to get up earlier and get to work earlier to get a parking space where it will fit safely. There are only about four parking spaces at my office long enough to park a Sprinter without blocking traffic, out of a parking lot for over 800 vehicles.

But knowing that it was a very simple electrical problem that genuinely didn't affect drivability, makes me more convinced that I need to get an EOBD reader.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
(3) add solar charger to keep battery charged (small 1 to plug into cig lighter is not powerful enough).
(4) hook up a trickle charger.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #36

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
(3) add solar charger to keep battery charged (small 1 to plug into cig lighter is not powerful enough).
(4) hook up a trickle charger.
Good thoughts, but (4) is not possible, considering the distance between my apartment and where I have to park in the apartment complex's parking lot. Of course, you had no way of knowing that.

(3) may be worth looking into. Thanks.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
That could be the worst CEL reason I've ever seen...because your battery was a touch low, but still strong enough to start a DIESEL engine? Wow. Touchy diagnostics.

But, yeah, a small solar panel might do the trick. I had good luck with a small 10 or 15 watt panel helping to keep the B190's deep cycle battery and the truck batteries topped off (not at the same time, of course). But I'm not sure it's worth the risk given the cost: if it doesn't do well enough, you have to replace it. I got mine somewhere for like $20, but searching around I see they usually go for quite a bit more than that, so it comes down to how much money you want to risk.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
From experience I can tell you that the $15-30 solar chargers are only enough to extend the time to 3 weeks instead of 2 on a modern vehicle with the power draws from things like the on-board computer and head unit.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #39

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
From experience I can tell you that the $15-30 solar chargers are only enough to extend the time to 3 weeks instead of 2 on a modern vehicle with the power draws from things like the on-board computer and head unit.
Thanks to the high-end Viper alarm system, I don't even get two weeks. Anything that extends the time will help. But it's worth shopping around. Considering how much it costs to take a day off from work to go to the dealer, and how much it costs for a replacement main battery, both the solar charger and the EOBD reader will be money well spent.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I've seen advertised small solar chargers that can sit on the dash and purport to keep battery charged but don't know if they could keep up w/ your load.

Any way to connect the alarm to the house batteries?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Anybody had this problem?

I don't know whether Mercedes offers one, but Volkswagen offered a solar charger that attached to the inside of a window with suction cups and plugged into a port under the dash. I had one of these options on my 2007 Vokswagen New Beetle Convertible. My Beetle had the 2.5 Liter inline 5-cylinder gasoline motor, and the solar charger kept the battery fully charged and ready to go even when the car sat idle in the driveway for eight weeks or more. The Beetle was equipped with a high-end burglar alarm as well as a Monsoon Stereo System. If Mercedes offers an option or accessory like this for the Sprinter it may offer some assistance to keeping the battery charged.

Kevin

P.S.: A photo of the VW Solar Charger is below:

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #42

2012 Interstate Coach
I was at a Mercedes/Sprinter dealership on Monday, and didn't see anything about solar chargers, in either their display area or their brochures. Of course, at that point I hadn't specifically asked…

Yesterday I ordered a solar charger that will plug into dashboard power outlet. It supposedly puts out 8˝ watts on a bright, sunny day, and clips to a visor panel. 8˝ watts should be plenty to offset the draw caused by the alarm sytem. Most of the offerings I found in my Internet search were in the 1~2 watt range, which I know wouldn't have been enough to keep up with the alarm system's current draw.

It has a built-in blocking diode to prevent current from flowing in reverse in the event I forget to unplug it when starting the engine. However, it doesn't have a charge controller— most dashboard-style solar panels don't— so I probably should not use it if the alarm system isn't turned on. Which won't be a problem. I always leave the alarm on unless I'm actually using the vehicle.

I thought about hooking the alarm to the house batteries, but then I'd never be able to disconnect the house batteries while the unit's in storage. That just trades one problem for another.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4