Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
Any pointers on charging my Sprinter chassis Battery?

Good morning everyone, I've been taking good care of my Airstream Interstate over this COLD winter in Michigan, but today I found out that the sprinter chassis battery needs a jump (under the hood). Are there any tricks to charge the battery without using jumper cables or is using jumper cables the best bet. There seems to be power with the internal batteries of the vehicle. I've been looking in the owners manual but I'm having a hard time finding a solution to using the internal batteries to charge the exterior chassis battery. I swear I thought there was a way to do that?!? Maybe not? Thank you so much guys.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Troy , Michigan
That's happened to me, too. I find it easiest to use jumper cables to get the engine running, but I did use the generator once. If you can get the genny running then it should charge the engine battery enough to get you going.
John
That reminds me, I should check my Interstate. It's been sitting in storage for about a month now.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Hello,
Your 2014 Interstate should have a battery assist button next to the headlight switch. This connects the house batteries to your chassis battery negating the need for jumper cables.
HTH,
David
Old 01-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Your 2014 Interstate should have a Magnum Inverter/changer. You can keep the Interstate connected to shore power indefinitely with the Magnum, and it also ensures the chassis battery is kept fully charged via the Battery Separator.
If you can't connect to shore power, then use the chassis battery isolator which is located in the driver's footwell to the right of the pedals.
Peter
Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Interstate1: you say you needed to jump the battery under the hood? The engine starting battery is under the floor by the driver in my 2013 MB chassis. The battery under the hood in mine is basically not in use. Its an option that AI did not "pay for" but Mercedes shipped many with the option. Probably had them sitting in inventory. And as soon as I can find the time and verify some charger settings, etc I plan to replace the battery under the hood with an AGM and add the proper wiring to the Interstate batteries in the back thereby increasing from 2 to 3 AGM batteries for my inverter power.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Interstate1: you say you needed to jump the battery under the hood? The engine starting battery is under the floor by the driver in my 2013 MB chassis.
I don't have a battery under the hood, but I had to jump-start my Interstate a few days ago due to the alarm system running down the battery. You still jump-start it "under the hood" using terminals provided for that purpose. No need to crack open the floorboard compartment just to jump-start it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Your 2014 Interstate should have a Magnum Inverter/changer. You can keep the Interstate connected to shore power indefinitely with the Magnum, and it also ensures the chassis battery is kept fully charged via the Battery Separator.
If you can't connect to shore power, then use the chassis battery isolator which is located in the driver's footwell to the right of the pedals.
Peter
I though I had read that the recommended procedure was to only leave the coach plugged in for 48 hours or so at a time. Any other opinons on this?
Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
I though I had read that the recommended procedure was to only leave the coach plugged in for 48 hours or so at a time. Any other opinons on this?
Thanks
From what I've read it depends on which Inverter/Charger you have in your Interstate. The Magnum unit can be left plugged in. But not recommended if you have a TripLite unit.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Thanks for that Boxster. My coach is parked unde my carport so I have been checking it every few days and when the batts get down to 70ish % I plug it in for a couple days. Based on what you're telling me I can just leave it plugged in.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Do you have all of the circuit breakers and the main battery disconnect switch turned off? 70 percent in a few days seems like there is a small drain somewhere.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Main batt disconnect is off but not circuit breakers. Propane is off as is tv ant booster.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Main batt disconnect is off but not circuit breakers. Propane is off as is tv ant booster.
120v circuit breakers left on means that the inverter/charger will invert whenever there is no other source of 120vAC, even with the main disconnect switched off. 120vAC is not switched off by the 12vDC main disconnect, and neither is the inverter/charger itself. But don't take my word for it; you can test my hypothesis easily enough. With the disconnect switched off, and shore power unplugged, turn on one of the televisions. It will come on if I'm right.

If I'm right the source of your battery drain is probably the inverter/charger itself plus whatever appliances are drawing power. Anything with a remote control or a built-in display draws some power even when nominally switched off— unless you turn off the breaker.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The inverter must be turned off to eliminate its drain. But w/ the breakers all off, the TV standby draw will be eliminated.

As far as I can determine, the only things drawing power w/ everything off are the smoke, CO, and propane detectors. So far this winter, the solar panel has maintained the house batteries @ 100% and the chassis battery @ ~12.75V. Even w/ several overcast days in a row.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , Michigan
I found the battery assist button on the instrument panel. Unfortunately, I still had to jump the battery. I was able to do this by going through the engine chassis compartment under the hood. The 2014 Airstream Interstate has a unique + positive/-negative locators. They are hard to find, but I was able to work through it! Thanks for all your help :-)