Old 07-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Another Noob Joining the Club

Hello Everyone.
Been lurking here for a few months and now I hope to become a more active participant as I will be the proud new owner 2015 AI GT next week. I am purchasing out of state, from an individual, which is a little daunting for such a large $$ item but I think we have everything figured out(fingers crossed)
Before negotiating on price, I arranged to have the unit inspected by a local RV service provider and it received an excellent report with all systems checked

I'm wondering if there are any specific items/systems this group would suggest I make sure to double check on my own before handing over the check?

This is great community and I look forward to learning from you all and eventually help out some future noobs

Eric

Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
Hello Everyone.
Been lurking here for a few months and now I hope to become a more active participant as I will be the proud new owner 2015 AI GT next week. I am purchasing out of state, from an individual, which is a little daunting for such a large $$ item but I think we have everything figured out(fingers crossed)
Before negotiating on price, I arranged to have the unit inspected by a local RV service provider and it received an excellent report with all systems checked

I'm wondering if there are any specific items/systems this group would suggest I make sure to double check on my own before handing over the check?

This is great community and I look forward to learning from you all and eventually help out some future noobs

Eric
ERIC - Welcome to the forum. The simple answer to your question is EVERYTHING. Only because you are dealing with an individual and not a dealer/business that has an image/reputation to worry about. And we know even with a dealer, you can have problems with an rv (new or used).

I thought I was pretty thorough with checking my 2018 unit (brand new) but even at that, missed some things. Just as an example, it was still cool when I checked my unit, so I did not really test the A/C as thoroughly as I should have. Not until it got hot did I realize compressor only stayed on for 3 min and never kicked back on unless the A/C and/or Firefly controller was reset. Of course, warranty covered it, but it still caused a headache. It is now summer time, may seem crazy to turn on furnace? But ....

Having it inspected by a local RV Service provider helps. Is this a dealer or an independent RV inspector? I have found out the couple of times that I wanted to buy a slightly used car from an individual and brought to dealer to inspect, they really listed every little thing they could find wrong with it because they wanted to steer me towards their inventory. Without seeing the inspection report (typically includes pics, mileage, gen. hrs., tire date codes, etc), it is tough for me (or anyone else) to zero-in on any one or more specific areas to suggest for you to concentrate on.

Hopefully, you have made clear to seller you still need to do your own systems test & road test, which could mean giving you unit for another 2-3 hrs.

Best of luck on new unit.

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Thanks Alex.

The inspection was done by an independent shop. We spoke on the phone for a good 15-20 mins and he was very complimentary on the unit. The invoice/ "report" I received was pretty sparse though:

"Complete System Check- Appliances, Plumbing, Electrical, Interior and exterior lighting, Lp Gas system w/ LP Gas Check- Roof and Tire Inspection, Test Drive
2 X $131.00
No Issues found on any systems all checked out Over all the Coach is in very good shape
Roof had on spot that we sealed with Dicor self leveling sealant. Tires are 2014 no dry cracking and about 50 to 60% tread life"

I was looking for a 2015 b/c of some of the issues I read about here with later models that have the electric blinds and new fusion radio... just want to make sure there isn't some known issue with 2015's I need to pay particular attention to during my inspection
Old 07-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
ERIC - Yes, the power shades & Fusion are nagging issues with new models. I do not know first hand but I am sure many of the others who have 2017 or earlier will chime in - on 2018s the batteries charge when plugged into shore power, regardless of whether Main Battery Disconnect switch is On/Off. Earlier model years only charge when switch is in On position.

There was a period where I was considering slightly used units and researched RV inspectors. The one I zero'ed in on had couple of different levels of inspection, but all were more extensive reports than what you have stated. But they also ranged from much more than you paid to over $1,000for their most extensive inspection. Including detailed reports with many, many pages including from few dozen pics to close to 100 for their most detailed.

From your description, the inspection is very basic. I personally would not be comfortable with such sparse report. The AI is an expensive breed (new or used). So I would still do a few hours worth of personal inspection or have someone with you who can if you are not capable of verifying all systems yourself. And I can not be happy with any inspection that doesn't include detailed pics.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
On our rig after we brought it home, I noticed paint bubbles around several utility cutouts such as city water inlet, fresh water fill, battery vent etc. sure enough there were rust all around them behind the fancy faceplates caused by poor or non rust proofing from Airstream, they were a PITA to fix. Welcome to misery, we love your company
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Make maximum use of this forum

I would recommend reading, from the start, the Small Space Living thread and the "I'll go first" Modifications thread. There are a lot of good ideas there. There are other great threads, but these two are of special interest in making the AI really yours.

I went through these two threads and other threads and extracted long files with lists of potential things I wanted to do to my 2014.5. I erased the individual items in the files as I either made the changes/upgrades or decided against them. After 18 months, I finally discarded the files with everything either done or decided against.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Check your house batteries

Donít be shocked if your house batteries have been damaged by being deeply discharged by the prior owner. No fault implied here, just lack of understanding of the nature of deep cycle batteries.

If you need to replace the batteries, and choose to match the Lifelines that were originally supplied you might get sticker shock; $500 or so for the pair. They are excellent. There is no way to know for sure if replacement is needed without having your batteries load tested.

I bought my 2013 AI used from a non-Airstream dealer. The house batteries had been replaced with some off brand cheapies. I bought Lifelines. There are lots of threads here about batteries and electrical systems worth perusing. The single most important bit is not to discharge your house batteries below 50%

Good luck with your purchase. We have owned ours for about 1 1/2 years and have put over 25000 miles on it, and spent around 140 nights in it.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Suggest you update your profile to include the model and model year that you own - once you own it. And welcome!
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

fairfax station , va
First day

Get one of these.
Put one sensor in your fridge and one in your freezer. If you don't like what you see, check out the fridge ventilation thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

+1 on the battery

Get one of these. It won't lie to you

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dittos on the fridge/freezer thermometer.

If you canít measure it, you canít understand it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
tarzana , California
Smile Post purchase ideas, batteries and tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieJ View Post
Donít be shocked if your house batteries have been damaged by being deeply discharged by the prior owner. No fault implied here, just lack of understanding of the nature of deep cycle batteries.

If you need to replace the batteries, and choose to match the Lifelines that were originally supplied you might get sticker shock; $500 or so for the pair. They are excellent. There is no way to know for sure if replacement is needed without having your batteries load tested.

I bought my 2013 AI used from a non-Airstream dealer. The house batteries had been replaced with some off brand cheapies. I bought Lifelines. There are lots of threads here about batteries and electrical systems worth perusing. The single most important bit is not to discharge your house batteries below 50%

Good luck with your purchase. We have owned ours for about 1 1/2 years and have put over 25000 miles on it, and spent around 140 nights in it.
Welcome aboard. I am only 9 months into AS travel, and have i learned a lot. Some good, and some problems i caused by myself. Strongly recommend the following, including watching UTube on the topics below, and found locally on the internet.

1. I replaced my 12 volts with two 6 volts myself. The dealer will charge you $1000+, but for 2 AGM's x $200 = $400, you can do it yourself. Two 6's are like having three 12's. I learned the hard way in the desert at 40 degrees one morning with NO power.

2. Get a tire monitoring system. They'll cost you about $250 from independent. dealer. The AS dealerships want three times that. Very simple to install, and will
tell you when you're in trouble, and save you some possible major expenses.

It's critical that you check everything, at least twice. Happy travels.
frank nordyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Thanks to all for the great advice. The purchase went through as planned and I am now through my first week of AI ownership.

The rig is in great shape but these machines are fickle mistresses to say the least.

My first week activities included:

1) Trying to find b5 diesel in central Illinois - Good Luck

2) Slamming the sliding MB door in an attempt to make the step retract with the screen door closed - NOT RECOMMENDED - unless you want to jam the door into a position where you can't open the door or retract the step. This was eventually resolved after a break with some relaxation liquids and a very specific push pull sequence on the door I could never describe in words and hope to never repeat.

2) Blind spot assist, ABS, ESP inoperative messages. I'm lucky to live a few miles from a big MB dealer with a sprinter service center so I dropped it off Monday and had a new rear wheel speed sensor (covered under MB 5/100k diesel warranty), an ESP software update, and blind spot assist radar sensors replaced ($400). Next week I'll get some new front tires (Michellin defender) and an alignment.

3) Macerator pump was blowing fuses and seemed very hard to turn with the screw driver so I removed it and found two of the four brass pump head bolts sheared off. New pump ordered for $150 on amazon.

4) No Com fault on Magnum remote display. I was afraid the MB guys nicked the com wire when replacing the sensors but a full power down and power up seems to have fixed that issue

Good news is that I saved over $5K in tax by purchasing from an individual vs. a dealer so I'm still way ahead.... and I also enjoy fixing things!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums, and best wishes for happy traveling!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Another Noob Joining the Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
Thanks to all for the great advice. The purchase went through as planned and I am now through my first week of AI ownership.......

......Good news is that I saved over $5K in tax by purchasing from an individual vs. a dealer so I'm still way ahead.... and I also enjoy fixing things!
Welcome to AirForums!!

Does your state not charge you an equivalent of sales tax when you register it?

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote