Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Another Ladder for my AI - GP Logistics SLDD5 Ladder

I had posted a thread/review of my Telesteps Combi 14ES stepladder. While I truly enjoy using that ladder, I have found my needs does not require having that with me all the time. I am using it a lot for house use and washing the AI at home. But it takes a lot of room and weight in AI. So far, I really only use a ladder away from homebase for cleaning windows, cleaning above awning, and never really to get up to climb to the rooftop. I have always carried a short step ladder behind couch. That one I always use. But it still takes lots of room. Until now that I have discovered the Telesteps Stik. Problem is Telesteps Stik Double Sided only comes in 6 & 7 ft. They do not offer a 5 ft. version. GP Logistics has a 5 ft. Double Sided. So why is this important? Check out my pics. Observe how it fits like a glove behind couch nestled & secured by the flip down wing support and couch metal framing. There is absolutely no wiggle room in that space. One would think it was tailor made specifically for this small space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_180040.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	327957   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_180058.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	327958  

Name:	20181115_180125.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	327959   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_180208.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	327960  

Name:	20181115_180242.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	327965   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_180320.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	327966  

Name:	20181115_180423.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	327967   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_180442.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	327968  

Name:	20181115_180458.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	327969   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_180357.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	327970  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Ok... That is really cool. What is the "Karpo" thing on the bottom?

I also bought the telescoping ladder and was just looking at that because it does take up space (under couch).

I really like your set up for the back. That really seems to maximize the space.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Ok... That is really cool. What is the "Karpo" thing on the bottom?

I also bought the telescoping ladder and was just looking at that because it does take up space (under couch).

I really like your set up for the back. That really seems to maximize the space.
TOBBUN - Amazed you read that upside down. I own the thing and I couldn't read it. The Karpo is the brand of the 4ft level I use at home. It comes with that case. So I keep the metal yard stick, telescoping pole, a golf umbrella, and broom stick pole inside (coz I disconnect the broom head just for ease of storage). Amazing it holds those things, nice and snug, no rattling.

Thank you. Yes, the mid-shelf helps organize & maximize the rear without needing to remove stuff on top when removing containers down at bottom . It has worked well for 8 months now, so I know it fits our usage well.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
I used to have one of these, but got rid of it in favor of the Telesteps because the GP Logistics ladder only had a listed 225lb capacity and at the time I weighed more than that. Even today, while I weigh less than 225, by the time you add my clothing (and whatever tools I'm using) to my weight, I still go over 225. The GP Logistics ladder felt rickety whenever I was standing on it.

Also, the lack of a top rail means that you have to keep one more step down from the top step, so you can't climb as high on the GP Logisitics ladder as you can on a comparable 5ft stepladder with a top rail.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I used to have one of these, but got rid of it in favor of the Telesteps because the GP Logistics ladder only had a listed 225lb capacity and at the time I weighed more than that. Even today, while I weigh less than 225, by the time you add my clothing (and whatever tools I'm using) to my weight, I still go over 225. The GP Logistics ladder felt rickety whenever I was standing on it.

Also, the lack of a top rail means that you have to keep one more step down from the top step, so you can't climb as high on the GP Logisitics ladder as you can on a comparable 5ft stepladder with a top rail.
PROTAGONIST - Yep, I agree. Telesteps is higher rated at 250lbs. I would not recommend this GP Logistics if weighing even close to 200lbs. Its 225lbs. lower rating works for me as I am only 145lbs. It is not rickety at all, but at 3 steps up, I did not expect it to be. I did mention I would've preferred the Telesteps Stik, but the 5ft. Double Sided version does not still exist in their offerings. The 6 or 7 ft. Double Sided versions are too long to fit the width of rear couch. The Stik does have a 5ft. Single Sided but I did not want a Single Sided version. That is more rickety regardless of make or size. This replaces the typical Rubbermaid 3-step stool I carry, so more than adequate to do the job for my weight with very little space I had to give up. This kind below, pic. It folds flat, but still takes more space to store than this 4"×4"

Name:	f9471467-4041-4918-a689-ab7874bbd8fc_1.2f46b9e661386d890c06fbaa04303e63.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	327975

FYI , Mine comes with optional and removable top rail, which I did not install for purposes of pic taking.

Name:	41ESHIG5PWL.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	327976
Old 11-16-2018, 05:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Can anyone recommend a ladder or similar supportive device that could be used for safely accessing the Interstate's forehead? I'm sick of doing a half-butted job of cleaning and waxing that part of the rig because I simply can't reach it.

Does not have to be portable.

And BTW, every time someone starts discussing ladders, I get a Joan Armatrading ear worm. I guess I'm lucky.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Can anyone recommend a ladder or similar supportive device that could be used for safely accessing the Interstate's forehead? I'm sick of doing a half-butted job of cleaning and waxing that part of the rig because I simply can't reach it.

My Corps of Engineers fall protection training says that the safest way to work at a height is to work from the ground instead. So my recommendation would be to use a squeegee/sponge with a long handle for washing while standing on the ground in front of the van (I have one for cleaning the windshield, but I suppose it could be used on the painted area over the windshield, too). Or, better, a pressure washer with a long wand that will reach that high, that can be used to soap, rinse, and spray-wax the area above the windshield.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:

And BTW, every time someone starts discussing ladders, I get a Joan Armatrading ear worm. I guess I'm lucky.

INTERBLOG - I have used this through the years. Because I am very short, I have always needed something to reach the middle top of my trucks, and gosh the AI is worse Glad I did not buy the 4x4. I used to stand on top of front tire, but it is not flat and it kind of dicey. This is made for big rig trucks with 215-295 size tires (10-11.5" tread width). With the Sprinter, I had to purchase the 215 size tire adapter (8.75-10" tread width). It makes stepping on top of tire better for me. But, it still considered a ladder, so it will not be a safe method of access per Corps of Engineers. I have the long adjustable pole too, but it so hard to press my Windex bottle sprayer using from the top of pole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	821_1_.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	328005   Click image for larger version

Name:	821_3_.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	328006  

Old 11-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Still too short. My 6' 1.5" husband (6' 2" prior to back surgery) can only reach to the top of the windshield using either the tire or the toe holds in the T1N's bumper trim. I'm talking about the area above the windshield. It takes a tremendous beating with insects, rain, road debris, etc. I could use a pole-mounted device for washing, but proper waxing requires hand application and buffing.

I can use a step ladder placed to the side, but I have to reach across in a way that's not entirely safe. This is an issue I've never resolved to my satisfaction. I cannot reach it safely from the roof, and I cannot reach it safely from the ground, due to the slope of the front of the van.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Alex,
Great minds think alike. I went with the TeleSteps Type1 single sided option because I needed the 250lb rating.

Today is my "wax the upper 18 inches" day.

I find I can even use the safe step to crudely clean my solar panels. I stand at a safe height and operate my telescoping handle and sopping wet wash pad to wipe them down. I can't see what I'm doing but I can feel the edges as I wash them.

IB: To wax the AI "forehead" I borrow a Little Giant 17ft step ladder. I lower the cab windows and put one foot on the window sill and one foot (with most of my weight) on a ladder rung. This allows me to (relatively) safely get to the middle of the "brow".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TeleSteps Ladder.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	328010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2438.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	328011  

Name:	IMG_2439.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	328012  
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Photo credit: Connected States on YouTube, Sep 21, 2015.

Vendor depicted: AM Solar

= The right equipment for my job, but I ain't got room in the garage for all that.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
One of these would be very handy and would break down for storage, and also be good for other uses around the home (drywall, painting, ceiling work, etc.) But this one is only 6 feet wide; the Interstate is about 7 feet wide.

Slip it over the nose, anchor in place (strap to the tires), and work on the forehead that way.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Still too short. My 6' 1.5" husband (6' 2" prior to back surgery) can only reach to the top of the windshield using either the tire or the toe holds in the T1N's bumper trim. I'm talking about the area above the windshield. It takes a tremendous beating with insects, rain, road debris, etc. I could use a pole-mounted device for washing, but proper waxing requires hand application and buffing.

I can use a step ladder placed to the side, but I have to reach across in a way that's not entirely safe. This is an issue I've never resolved to my satisfaction. I cannot reach it safely from the roof, and I cannot reach it safely from the ground, due to the slope of the front of the van.
INTERBLOG - Oh, gotcha. That the area I call "What a PITA" . Ughh, I have no choice but to use the Telesteps Combi 14ES to get there. And being only 5' 4" , even that is a stretch (pun intended too). That rolling scaffold should work if it is wide enough to clear the width. Just have to put the pipe insulating padding so it does not accidentally scrape paint. Actually, I have a couple of the heavy duty shelvings from Costco. I always thought if I had it at correct windshield height and just bolt it to floor ( I afraid it may tip over and dent my hood if free standing) then I can just drive under it. Would that work?
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:

This is our home ladder of choice... the top platform and rail make it easy to “lean” safely.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/lau...RoC4ggQAvD_BwE
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Alex,
Great minds think alike. I went with the TeleSteps Type1 single sided option because I needed the 250lb rating.

Today is my "wax the upper 18 inches" day.

I find I can even use the safe step to crudely clean my solar panels. I stand at a safe height and operate my telescoping handle and sopping wet wash pad to wipe them down. I can't see what I'm doing but I can feel the edges as I wash them.

IB: To wax the AI "forehead" I borrow a Little Giant 17ft step ladder. I lower the cab windows and put one foot on the window sill and one foot (with most of my weight) on a ladder rung. This allows me to (relatively) safely get to the middle of the "brow".
TRONADORA - Haha, it sure seems that way, doesnt it. I am already getting much grief from my wife as to why I need MORE ladders when I already had 5 and that's before the Telesteps & GP Logistics. I may not get the spousal approval for Prime Design rear door ladder anymore because of all these ladders

So will need to be creative and find INTERBLOGs suggested rolling scaffold that is wide enough for AI to fit under
Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm still searching for a resolution to this ladder challenge, especially for accessing the Sprinter's forehead. Hopefully without the need for a scaffold.

A non-vanning friend (who knows how tall our van is) sent me a link to this product, thinking it would help. The Rightline Gear Moki door step.

Frankly I'm amazed that anything like it could be brought to market in the face of the obvious liability. But it got me thinking that maybe something could be adapted to our type of cab door latch receiver, which this obviously would not fit, or would fit poorly, because it was designed for the bar-type receivers.

Thoughts?

Old 12-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Frankly I'm amazed that anything like it could be brought to market in the face of the obvious liability. But it got me thinking that maybe something could be adapted to our type of cab door latch receiver, which this obviously would not fit, or would fit poorly, because it was designed for the bar-type receivers.
INTERBLOG - I have an almost identical latch step, just different color. It only works for the area above and a few feet to each side of the latch. I use it mostly for our truck, suv, & minivan. But since the latch is way to the rear of the AI forehead and I am short, I still can not reach the center & top of forehead. It is still best for me to stand on the driver/passenger seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	61vETcFMNcL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	329554