Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Miami Beach , Florida
Annoying Beeping Sounds on the Interstate

We keep experiencing two random beeping sounds that won't stop beeping until the engine is off. Neither beeping sound is accompanied by a message/warning on the dash.

Beeping Sound #1 is coming from near the step area on the passenger sign. It's a softer but continuos beep. The step fully expands and retracts. There is nothing blocking it. And we have no idea what the beeping means or how to turn it off.

Beeping Sound #2 is slightly louder and also continuous. It seems to be coming from the front driver sider near the front of the vehicle. Again, no warning/message...and no idea the significance or how to turn it off.

Please help if you know the cause/fix of either beeping sound. Thanks in advance for your time.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATE123 View Post
We keep experiencing two random beeping sounds that won't stop beeping until the engine is off. Neither beeping sound is accompanied by a message/warning on the dash.

Beeping Sound #1 is coming from near the step area on the passenger sign. It's a softer but continuos beep. The step fully expands and retracts. There is nothing blocking it. And we have no idea what the beeping means or how to turn it off.

Beeping Sound #2 is slightly louder and also continuous. It seems to be coming from the front driver sider near the front of the vehicle. Again, no warning/message...and no idea the significance or how to turn it off.

Please help if you know the cause/fix of either beeping sound. Thanks in advance for your time.
The mystery beep might be from the awning not being fully retracted. Hit the retract switch and see if the awning clicks back into full retraction.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Yep- our awning is broken! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Yep- our awning is broken! Thanks for the heads up.
There was a recall service performed on mine several months ago (Fiamma Eagle). Might check with your dealer to see if the recall pertains to yours.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Will do ASAP. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Well...I was reading through other threads related to the Interstate's awning/step beeping and extended my awning fully to see if that would fix my problem. But, now my awning is fully extended and won't retract. Every time I press 'Retract' there is a constant clicking sound, but the fabric is not rolling toward the vehicle. Any other ideas for a fix and/or how to manually retract the awning? Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I don't own an Interstate but if you have this awning it should have an emergency handle for extension and retraction. Pg 23

http://www.fiamma.com/download/insta...n/F65Eagle.pdf

FYI Make sure you familiarize yourself with all manuals and contingencies before they occur.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Got it. And found the manual. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Sure seems like the new frameless awning is experiencing more than it's share of problems.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Well...I was reading through other threads related to the Interstate's awning/step beeping and extended my awning fully to see if that would fix my problem. But, now my awning is fully extended and won't retract. Every time I press 'Retract' there is a constant clicking sound, but the fabric is not rolling toward the vehicle. Any other ideas for a fix and/or how to manually retract the awning? Thanks again.
I had exactly the same problem with my awing. I contacted Fiamma and the was their response:

"There is no adjustment on the winch gear. What I believe has happened is that the winch gear has stripped some of the teeth and when the awning is fully extended the weight of the awning against the gear causes it to slip once it comes in a couple of feet the weight is less and the momentum helps it go over the worst teeth. This problem has happened in the past and was due to the incorrect wiring. The awning was wired to be on at all times. So while it is running down the road the seismic sensor is having the awning trying to shut and the teeth in the winch gear is the weakest link.
You need to take your van to the nearest Airstream dealer to correct the wiring. If you have the problem I described above they will also need to replace the motor drive assembly to fix the problem you are having. I recommend that until you reach the dealer that you remove the fuse under the driverís seat that goes to the awning so that the awning will not be damaged further.
The only other thing that it could be is the stop device which goes into the awning tube. However, I have never seen this work intermittently. It usually fails and will not work at all."

In another email from them:

"Airstream has put out bulletin 157 out to change the wiring for the awning. Has this change been made to your vehicle?"

So my local dealer replaced the motor under warranty and all is now fine.
Incidentally, once you have located the manual wind socket, it's quite hard to get the crank handle to bind onto the bolt inside - you may have to force the plastic motor cover to one side to get it on. The wind it in a little and see if the motor will then take over.
Peter
Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Miami Beach , Florida
Yep. We have used the awning only a dozen times since we bought the RV a few months ago...thought I made it sure it clicked 'closed' after each use...and then this happened. Manually cranked it closed and will make an appointment at our local dealership to hopefully make sure it doesn't happen again.

Also, we're deactivating the automatic step, which Airstream should really consider as a safety hazard. (We're calling Airstream this week.) My five-year old was climbing onboard when my wife started the engine and I grabbed her quickly as the step started retracting. If someone had not been there to grab her off the step, her foot could have become wedged underneath and she could have been badly hurt.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I think if you "test" the step there is a safety on the retract that should not cause this problem if there is some binding or restriction.

But I agree, I too wish there was an override since I have asked people to get in or out and I've already started the engine and they end up with the BIG step. Its all about "operator error" and as the operator, i have to learn how the proper procedures are operating. It's there for a good safety reason so again, operator error.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
I think if you "test" the step there is a safety on the retract that should not cause this problem if there is some binding or restriction.

But I agree, I too wish there was an override since I have asked people to get in or out and I've already started the engine and they end up with the BIG step. Its all about "operator error" and as the operator, i have to learn how the proper procedures are operating. It's there for a good safety reason so again, operator error.
If you do some wire-tracing you may find where you can disconnect the auto-retract when you start the engine, without disconnecting the auto-retract when the door is closed.

If you're confident that you're not going to drive with the sliding door open, you'll have no worries about the step being extended as you travel, but will still be able to board passengers with the engine running.

But if you do this, don't forget to make sure the step lock is OFF before starting the engine. Starting the engine also overrides the step lock, so if you disconnect that portion, there's nothing left to override the step lock except remembering to flip the switch.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
I posted pictures on which wire to pull to allow the step to deploy even with the engine running about 8 months ago. It might come up if you perform a search.