Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
An ordeal - Total AI bathroom teardown & remodel

An ordeal - Total AI bathroom teardown & remodel

From delivery day, I have been contemplating lots of changes to my AI bath. Some are purely aesthetic, some are to adapt bath to our usage patterns, and some are functional (one example of functional is the porcelain toilet from the WACHUKO list).* I have a wife, 2 adult daughters, a toddler grandson, and baby granddaughter. They are accustomed to certain home bathroom features that are just plain deficient in the AI bath. The Class B wet bath & small space is never an issue. But my women just feel/need certain luxuries that are lacking. Also need to make it toddler & baby friendly with space for their toiletries. What a tall order, but I believe I came close. And the icing on the cake is I reclaimed at least a couple cubic ft. of space towards body-part usage rather than bathroom-part mis-use. In this smallest of small spaces, this is night/day.

For the entire summer, I have been ordering parts needed, measuring 10x and cutting 5x and many times re-doing unsatisfactory or goofy attempts. Until a much better and aesthetically pleasing solution passes the fam test. Some items are store bought, some are professionally custom built, and the majority crafted by me. I am almost finished. I am waiting delivery of the toilet. I wanted to install this last because I wanted the plastic toilet completely functional/usable even during the days/weeks when the shower function was disabled or limited. Through the entire months long process, we have managed to still camp at least half dozen times while dealing with on-going construction. Many say in a stick house, the bathroom maybe the smallest room in the house but is one of the toughest rooms to remodel. The same is true in the AI, with our bath no bigger than one of my garage cabinets.

I have many pics and will load the most important only because I think I can only load a handful. But I will post a link which contains the entire album for anyone* interested in some of the closer details each item that was removed, replaced, re-engineered, re-purposed, or relegated to the AI trash bin. I will group pics in Day# rather than Date format to limit groups to a small handful.

Day# 1 - TEARDOWN
Remove show curtain, faucet, 3-compartment dispenser, shower head holder, round mirror with articulating arm, retracting clothesline, door mounted towel bar, bathroom door & hinges, and porthole plastic trim & front gass cover. with Alu porthole trim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180911_204256-1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	322261   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180831_150154-1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	322262  

Name:	PhotoGrid_1536729432778-1.png
Views:	172
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	322263  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:18 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
I think you’re the first to try this. I can’t wait to see your new design!
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Use google photos to hold all your photos and create a shared folder for each project.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Or use Imgur and post BB code. Imgur is designed for forum application (among other things).

This is a great project. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I know I have said it before, but I will say it again... You Sir, are at a different game level...

Add me to the list of folks here following closely on the changes.

Are you also planning to add the recirculating control? That Showermiser from Aqua View that I have yet to tackle...

Can't wait to read more details on the changes.

So yeah! I do want the link to the folder with the detailed photos. Share away!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Day#2 - ROUND Makep mirror relocation

When one has 4 girls to make happy, makeup mirrors can not be removed. Only relocated. Once relocated, additional mirror(S) had to be installed later inside bath. Finding convenient locations that would also be at optimal for doing makeup at their 5'5" average heights is challenging and giving up the only counter space we had was not an option. UNTIL I opened up the overheads. Then light bulbs turned on.

Overhead above countertop with wiring compartment was the perfect spot.

Name:	20180912_072807.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	322269

Makeup mirror can articulate down to perfect level.

Name:	20180912_072927.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	322270

Rubber bumpers prevent scratching cabinet surface and rattling when in stowed position

Name:	20180912_072850.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	322271

Now in stowed position.

Name:	20180912_072959.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	322272

There are 3 (Yes, THREE) new mirrors going inside bath. The 1st one is done. Needed to go to local glass shop to cut the perfect oblong to fit inside porthole. This provides a door mirror usable inside bath or when door is open to aisle. And slso blocks light from shining out to galley when we leave bath light on at night while sleeping. Darkens the area, yet enough light seeps through door seams which illuminates door location and latch nicely but very dimly.

Name:	20180912_075651.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	322273

Name:	20180912_075721.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	322274
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
You might want to float your really cool mirror modification pic on the active hair drying thread where some of the posters think that making jokes about personal deportment and hygiene questions is funny. You're really good at deflecting flak no matter how minor it may be, which is why I say that.

It's absurd to me that someone would pay six figures for a rig, either a MH or a trailer, and then giggle at the idea of maintaining a rough approximation of grooming while inside of it. WTH?! I mean, if we all wanted to look and act like slobs on the road, wouldn't we be buying used pop-up trailers on Craigslist instead, and going #1 and #2 in Home Depot orange buckets instead of functional wet baths?!

A minor irritation to be sure, but some of us don't think that the responses on that thread are very amusing.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lakewood , New Mexico
Awesome direction you're taking, keep us posted on the project!
mecanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Excited to see this transformation! (And wondering if you’re available for hire?! ;-))
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
You might want to float your really cool mirror modification pic on the active hair drying thread where some of the posters think that making jokes about personal deportment and hygiene questions is funny. You're really good at deflecting flak no matter how minor it may be, which is why I say that.

It's absurd to me that someone would pay six figures for a rig, either a MH or a trailer, and then giggle at the idea of maintaining a rough approximation of grooming while inside of it. WTH?! I mean, if we all wanted to look and act like slobs on the road, wouldn't we be buying used pop-up trailers on Craigslist instead, and going #1 and #2 in Home Depot orange buckets instead of functional wet baths?!

A minor irritation to be sure, but some of us don't think that the responses on that thread are very amusing.
INTERBLOG - I promise I will. May not be asap, due to amount of organizing I am doing with this project pics. Yeah, I agree 100% with what you just said. The best part is the "WTH" part
Old 09-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
LINEOLATED, TINCAMPERS, WACHUKO, MECANTO, INTERBLOG - Thanks for kind comments. Will have the bulk of boring pics on my Google OneDrive account where it will be accessible for everyone to view. Lots of them are just different angke shots not worth taking room in this thread. I have lots of bloopers too. Some of those may get into this thread on the section when I installed LEXAN panels.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
TXNTRVLR - I can always be bought as I am fairly cheap sob to satisf, but only locally. What happens in Vegas stays . . . unmentioned
Old 09-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Alex, Your post found me in the process of making some smaller changes to my bathroom. These have been brewing in my head for a couple of months now and I took the first steps during the rainy weekend.

The stupid soap dispenser has been gone for a long, long time. Why Airstream thinks it is useful to further cramp the space with that useless thing, I don't know.

We never use the clothesline, so it will go as part of the following changes. I just need to buy more hole plugs.

Behind the second-row passenger chair, my year has a gray cover over the vent pipe that widens out at the top and has a semi-useful little pocket in it. Up till now, I we use the pocket for our WBCCI badges and whatever else we can stuff in there.

We have fewer needs than Alex AVI. Just me and my 5' 2" wife. The thing I want most is a small medicine chest to hold toothbrushes, toothpaste, and maybe a few small bottles of things like asprin, Tylenol and ChiggerEase.

The bare wall over the toilet backs up into the area of the semi-useless pocket. By removing the liner of the pocket, I have a useful depth of about 6" to work with. The cabinet can be about 14" high and 8+" wide. I will cut the required openings and use a plastic tub for the chest, with shelves as required to give us each a space and maybe a low space at the top for medicine bottles. For a cover, I will use an oversize hinged sheet of Lexan. I don't expect shower splash to be a problem, especially since I pull the curtain over the toilet when showering to minimize the area that gets wet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180912_123159.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	322309   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180912_124619.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	322310  

Name:	20180912_131336.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	322311  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Pahaska, I have that same KOA soap holder both in the Interstate and at home! Works Great!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
TXNTRVLR - I can always be bought as I am fairly cheap sob to satisf, but only locally. What happens in Vegas stays . . . unmentioned

LOL! Hmmm...
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Pahaska, I have that same KOA soap holder both in the Interstate and at home! Works Great!
That soap holder has been in a popup for a year, a Scamp 5th wheel for 4 years, a Trail Manor for 4 years, three Airstream trailers over 16 years, and now, my Interstate. It is probably the only item that has been with me that long.

I wonder how many thousand miles that thing has traveled.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #17
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Day# 1 - TEARDOWN
Remove show curtain, faucet, 3-compartment dispenser, shower head holder, round mirror with articulating arm, retracting clothesline, door mounted towel bar, bathroom door & hinges, and porthole plastic trim & front gass cover. with Alu porthole trim
I like the idea of tailoring the bathroom to the needs of your family. I see some interesting topics in this thread and I'll be paying attention to watch for your updates.

I highlighted the item above because Danielle and I are must be some of the few people that like the 3-compartment dispenser. I was really bummed recently when I broke one of the containers! It took me a day or so of phone calls and email but I was able to find another dispenser. Of course, I had to buy the entire 3-compartment assembly to get the one container we needed.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Alex, Your post found me in the process of making some smaller changes to my bathroom. These have been brewing in my head for a couple of months now and I took the first steps during the rainy weekend.

The stupid soap dispenser has been gone for a long, long time. Why Airstream thinks it is useful to further cramp the space with that useless thing, I don't know.

We never use the clothesline, so it will go as part of the following changes. I just need to buy more hole plugs.

Behind the second-row passenger chair, my year has a gray cover over the vent pipe that widens out at the top and has a semi-useful little pocket in it. Up till now, I we use the pocket for our WBCCI badges and whatever else we can stuff in there.

We have fewer needs than Alex AVI. Just me and my 5' 2" wife. The thing I want most is a small medicine chest to hold toothbrushes, toothpaste, and maybe a few small bottles of things like asprin, Tylenol and ChiggerEase.

The bare wall over the toilet backs up into the area of the semi-useless pocket. By removing the liner of the pocket, I have a useful depth of about 6" to work with. The cabinet can be about 14" high and 8+" wide. I will cut the required openings and use a plastic tub for the chest, with shelves as required to give us each a space and maybe a low space at the top for medicine bottles. For a cover, I will use an oversize hinged sheet of Lexan. I don't expect shower splash to be a problem, especially since I pull the curtain over the toilet when showering to minimize the area that gets wet.
JOHN - check this thread every so often. As I get to post more pics, you will see some storage ideas INSIDE the bath that will not cramp/affect the available space typically intruded upon by the average body. I wish I have a pocket like in your MY. The 6" is huge! On mine, there is barely 2" between bath f-glass shell and plywood. Also have a few clear Lexan pieces installed. Trying to get a good enough angle/pic so the effect of the Lexan is obvious. Will post soon.

PS - I do like the 3-compartment soap dispenser as an idea. But in the context of installing in such a cramped bathroom and in such a bad location - why AS would install facing the narrow part of bath were it eats up even more shoulder/arm wiggle room? I am only 5'5" with proportional arms/elbows/shoulders and I still keep hitting that thing. So as much as I like the idea and it isn't bad looking, it is out. May end up in the stick house bath.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Following.
What an interesting project.
If you haven't already considered it, a custom small storage step stool with handles would be useful for holding some supplies, and for youngsters reaching the sink and dangling legs on the commode.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Following.
What an interesting project.
If you haven't already considered it, a custom small storage step stool with handles would be useful for holding some supplies, and for youngsters reaching the sink and dangling legs on the commode.
PIGGYBACK - You must be mind reader. As recent as last night, I was checking out some off the shelf step stools exactly for those purposes. But found most too large for that small space. So as you said, probably have to spend a premium on a custom cut one. I was thinking calling TeakWorks4U after I get my act together with the design specs. I know it will cost an arm&leg, but they do excellent work.