Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Am I CRAZY For Even Considering.....

buying a new BLACK Interstate?

Even after contemplating all the cons against it, I am still thinking about it.

Black....

Cons

Hot to the touch and heats up the whole vehicle
Harder to keep clean (I am a clean freak and have another black car)
Harder to avoid swirl marks
Can see the orange peel in the factory paint job (silver & white you can't as much)

Pros

Looks completely bad ass
Windows blend in with body and gives it a different look
Not as many around (like you really see any color often)

I do have an RV garage that it will be parked in while not in use.

Am I crazy or what?
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
With a black car too, you're at least a glutton for punishment!

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #3

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
IIRC the climate around Santee is relatively mild and assuming you stick to the coast or the mountains, I see no reason why black would not be fine. As you say it is really bad-ass looking. If you lived in Mojave however the picture changes. It is not so much the heat when your AI is in storage, it is when you are camping or traveling and the A/C is struggling to cool the interior down to 100 degrees that you really appreciate white or silver. It may not help much, but every little bit helps.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Having owned several black vehicles in the past and being a clean nut, I know that black is dirty five minutes after you finish. And the coach A/C struggles once the outdoor temp reaches 85*-90* out. And that's w/ silver.

I do agree black is a bad-ass color which was main reason I got them.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
buying a new BLACK Interstate?

Even after contemplating all the cons against it, I am still thinking about it....

... Am I crazy or what?
Not crazy at all... I considered a black one myself, but never having owned a black vehicle and not fond of washing the beast often it just would not work. Also I have to leave mine outside all the time. But they sure look good in black. I got mine in silver and I'm happy with my choice. Tired of my last two white vehicles...
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
A friend of mine, years ago, came back from his college reunion in love with an old flame. He asked me if I thought he was crazy to ditch his wife (she was number 3, I think) and take up with the newly rekindled flame. So, I gave him too pieces of advice I will pass on to you.

1. Wait six weeks--a full 42 days--and make no decision until then;
2. Ask yourself: is this something that you want to live with the rest of your life?

He's still with his wife. My suspicion is you'll come to the same conclusion. Bad ass, is, after all, only fun some times and for a while, and only gets you so far.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I love black vehicles. My car and my motorcycle are black.
I don't think I would want a black Interstate, though.
Yes, it looks good, but washing it would be like washing 3 or 4 cars...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have a black truck only because it was the only model anywhere around with the features we needed. I severely regret it, hot and a only clean for a day or two. Badass, who really notices or cares.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
With a black car too, you're at least a glutton for punishment!

John S.
Seriously huh? Lol
Old 03-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
It is not so mild in Aug-Sept, plus I will be traveling. I read the posts about the AC struggling so then I am crazy haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
IIRC the climate around Santee is relatively mild and assuming you stick to the coast or the mountains, I see no reason why black would not be fine. As you say it is really bad-ass looking. If you lived in Mojave however the picture changes. It is not so much the heat when your AI is in storage, it is when you are camping or traveling and the A/C is struggling to cool the interior down to 100 degrees that you really appreciate white or silver. It may not help much, but every little bit helps.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
My black Viper is much smaller. It also has a much much better paint job than the AIs do. I wash it with deionized water to avoid spots. Forgot about hard water spots when washing out on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Having owned several black vehicles in the past and being a clean nut, I know that black is dirty five minutes after you finish. And the coach A/C struggles once the outdoor temp reaches 85*-90* out. And that's w/ silver.

I do agree black is a bad-ass color which was main reason I got them.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Yes, you're crazy :-)

My truck is black and forever dirty. Inside too as Daisy is a bit of a drooler and as soon as I can clean it up, she's got it looking like it was slimed as in Ghostbusters.

I'm crazy too and love every second of it. Life is dirty and messy too. Enjoy it! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
MeandMB

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Selbyville , Delaware
Thumbs up

Ordered our 2014 Ext. On a 2014 chassis Ext. Cab in September (Hershey, Pa) without the rear two seats and minus the cabinet attached to the shower cabinet. With this change the rear tv is moved to the bathroom wall which squaring up the rear seating a bit making it somewhat more functional space. When the rear seats are removed they then move the stove area foreword which also helps to open up the rear area. Additionally with this change you will lose access to the cab from the driver's seat when the table is in place. This was not an issue for us (it may be for others). Just spent two months in Florida, with this vehicle and it is a "bad ass" machine with NO complaints. This van is better that advertised.Thought this might be of assistance.

Joe
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
The verdict is in....and.......

you ARE crazy!!!

Love the bad ass look of the black one. Saw one parked at Fiesta Island one afternoon. However, we ruled it out....way too hot. Really glad we ended up with silver.

Our dogs, who travel with us....are also glad we didn't get black. They are black dogs, and they understand how hot black stuff gets when the sun's beating on it.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Not crazy at all... I considered a black one myself, but never having owned a black vehicle and not fond of washing the beast often it just would not work. Also I have to leave mine outside all the time. But they sure look good in black. I got mine in silver and I'm happy with my choice. Tired of my last two white vehicles...
I really like how the black windows go away. Silver is my 2nd choice, there are just so many of you
Old 03-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
A friend of mine, years ago, came back from his college reunion in love with an old flame. He asked me if I thought he was crazy to ditch his wife (she was number 3, I think) and take up with the newly rekindled flame. So, I gave him too pieces of advice I will pass on to you.

1. Wait six weeks--a full 42 days--and make no decision until then;
2. Ask yourself: is this something that you want to live with the rest of your life?

He's still with his wife. My suspicion is you'll come to the same conclusion. Bad ass, is, after all, only fun some times and for a while, and only gets you so far.
Good advice and exactly what I am afraid of. Once the honeymoon is over ( or 1st date) I will wish I hadn't
Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I love black vehicles. My car and my motorcycle are black.
I don't think I would want a black Interstate, though.
Yes, it looks good, but washing it would be like washing 3 or 4 cars...
True Dat
Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I have a black truck only because it was the only model anywhere around with the features we needed. I severely regret it, hot and a only clean for a day or two. Badass, who really notices or cares.
My truck is storm gray so stands up a little better than black.

Badass, who cares......That Would Be Me
Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
The verdict is in....and.......

you ARE crazy!!!

Love the bad ass look of the black one. Saw one parked at Fiesta Island one afternoon. However, we ruled it out....way too hot. Really glad we ended up with silver.

Our dogs, who travel with us....are also glad we didn't get black. They are black dogs, and they understand how hot black stuff gets when the sun's beating on it.
Wait...Not Yet on the verdict. There are more people on here and I haven't counted the replies yet could still go either way
Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I do not know your climate but in FL black is not a good color for heat and it lowers resale value. I argued once with a friend about this and she bought her black car anyway. The salesman told her that black and heat was a myth. She learned once it got to August it was a mistake. She lived with it for three years and said never again. Ironically, the top and hood of the car had burned filmy clear coat when she sold it. (she parked it out in a lot at her condo). I avoid black AND silver down here. Both burn clear coat finishes off no matter what brand of car too. I have seen late model Mercedes burned. Silver paint also has a visual effect-it blends into the roadway background like a hazy gray, especially in the summer at a distance. Personally I would choose Arctic White for travel.

Color is a funny thing. I remember in mid 2003 I was one of the first few hundred purchasers of the '04 Mazda RX8. I went to the dealer planning on buying a silver GT but drove away with a blue one. I do not or rather, did not like blue cars but that one was beautiful. Later it ended up that I roasted in that medium blue car. I lived with it for two years before getting a white car. What a difference!