Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesoutlook View Post
The other feature smart fence sends me a text when vehicle leaves one mile radius from parked location. I can then track vehicle from viper app.
That's something I'll need to check on when I upgrade to the smartphone interface from the key fob remote that I presently have.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Alarm

I have the Drone system, one of the first installed in a Sprinter. At the time, the Viper system was not available for Sprinters. It's nice to be able to remote start the van, as well as receive an alarm on my iPhone if the alarm is tripped. As for stealing it, I'm not too worried unless they put it on a flatbed, but then, the Alarm would trip and notify me because of the shock sensor.

I'm more worried about someone breaking in and stealing the Kenwood deck or other property in the van while on a trip than anything else to be honest. It primarily just gives me peace of mind more than anything else.

I highly recommend the Drone system if you can find a shop to install it. You can remote start/stop then engine, lock/unlock the doors, and check the temperature, as well as locate the van using the smart phone app as well as track it. There is an annual subscription fee, but it's not much.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Is anyone using Lojack and can you recommend it?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Is anyone using Lojack and can you recommend it?
There's a limited number of states that it's available in and Kansas isn't one of them. Not sure if that means I can't use it or if I was in a state that was covered and someone stole it and took it to Kansas, they couldn't track it.

One potential drawback to the remote start app is most, if not all, new vehicles use a chipped key and the app requires one to be located in the vehicle. The Sprinter key I'm told runs about $200.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
There's a limited number of states that it's available in and Kansas isn't one of them. Not sure if that means I can't use it or if I was in a state that was covered and someone stole it and took it to Kansas, they couldn't track it.

One potential drawback to the remote start app is most, if not all, new vehicles use a chipped key and the app requires one to be located in the vehicle. The Sprinter key I'm told runs about $200.
I bought a spare chipped key for my AI and paid around 280 bucks for it. A spare key blade which opens the driver door was only 20 bucks.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I was also told that there is a second, non-replaceable battery in the fob that talks to the ECM for starting. I think one of my fobs has that battery dying as I experienced a couple of no-starts on a recent trip. Checked fuse and it was OK. Then it started. Used spare for rest of trip w/ no no-start occurrences.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Maine
Thanks for the great discussion!

Sometimes, simpler is better, thus the appeal of the fuel pump switch. Yet I really appreciate the sophistication of the high end aftermarket security systems, esp. with smartphone notification like Nesoutlook describes.

Roadttrek offers these features in a very expensive option (close to $8K). I'm hoping the aftermarket systems you describe are a bit more reasonable. What should I expect to pay?

As an aside, I have a GM auto that comes with Onstar. It has lots of security and theft recovery features, as well as sensor monitoring and notification, remote start and unlock via cellphone from anywhere, and airbag deployment monitoring and emergency query. The yearly subscription is a reasonable $200 / year. Too bad this isn't available for other brands like M-B.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Reasonable means different things to different people. I paid about 1100.00. This includes everything but the auto start. I think I was quoted another 1100.00 for auto start module. I followed Protag's lead on this security system. I have not had any battery drain problems with my Viper System. Maybe my BIM is providing enough extra charge to the chassis battery to negate any draw from the viper system. I upgraded my solar to make sure this never becomes a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums