Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The mechanism wasn't clear to me on that version. The description widely used by vendors says "6 Feet step ladder height 10 Feet extension ladder climbing height". Does that mean you can flip the stabilizing portion upward or something?
No. The stepladder I have only goes up to 6 feet and doesn't convert to an extension ladder. While standing on the ladder I can easily reach the awning tube, but I can't get high enough to climb onto the roof.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Merritt Island , Florida
I have recurring problem with alarm (120/minute) with 2016 Interstate Grand Tour. Typically it occurs when I hit a bump in the road, like an interstate overpass bridge joint. Then, if I hit another, it may go out. The other day, it stayed on for 50 miles so I resolved to find the alarm and strangle it. I found it under the passenger seat behind the awning retraction/extension switch and it is a dual alarm that is a plug-in. I pulled it out, recycled the awning and step, plugged it back in and it has remained silent. I can't find any info about adjustment but both seem to retract and stay that way. I like the idea of some sort of safety latch, bungie, or tie wrap to assure continuous awning closure.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsquare View Post
I like the idea of some sort of safety latch, bungie, or tie wrap to assure continuous awning closure.
If you're really concerned about it, and if you carry a ladder so you can even reach your awning, you might want to consider Velcro wrap-straps (hooks on one side, loops on the other, so that you can wrap it around the ends of your awning, loop side in to avoid scratching the finish). Doesn't hurt to have a couple of those straps anyway; there have been reports from some Interstate owners that the gears on their awning retract mechanism strip out so the awning won't stay retracted. If that ever happens, the wrap-straps will serve to hold your awning closed until you can get it fixed.

But personally I wouldn't bother with wrap-straps unless the awning gears do strip out. My awning occasionally works slightly loose on a bumpy Louisiana road so that the alarm starts beeping. It's usually no big deal to pull over, let the awning out a few inches, then retract it again to shut the alarm off, so tying the awning shut when it's not broken is not worth the effort to me. Mine never has broken like that, but I have the wrap-straps tucked away just in case.

Wrap-straps are easy to make. Just get adhesive-backed Velcro strips, and stick them together back-to-back in whatever length you need.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Seattle , Washington
This stuff would probably work to hold an awning. Just cut it to any length and make sure it overlaps itself.

VELCRO - ONE-WRAP: For Cables, Wires & Cords - 12' x 3/4" Roll – Black.

Almost as handy as zip-ties, and re-usable.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Kansas City , Missouri
The awning fully retracted sensor is a microswitch at the stern end of the awning, with a flexible metal arm that is pushed into the microswitch when the awning is essentially fully retracted - the awning end cover pushes against the arm, closing (or probably opening) the switch, which (a) stops the retraction motor and (b) turns off the beep (the beep also turns off if the ignition switch is fully off).
Here is the diagram from the Fiamma F65 Eagle manual showing how to bend the arm to make it engage properly:

And here is my jerry rigged fix - putting 3 layers of adhesive mounting tape on the arm to make it engage about sooner:

It worked! And far safer than just disabling beep - although I was close to doing that because it is so annoying.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Kansas City , Missouri
Post Manual for F65 Eagle Legless Awning by Fiamma

FWIW, here is a link to the manual for the awning on Airstream Interstate RVs:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3223...erstate-Manual
Old 08-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #35
Trying to Retire

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
Then, suddenly, the awning decided (on its own) to retract. I am suddenly in the rain with two open camp chairs and a table.

Is it supposed to do this? Maybe due to the weight of the water soaking the awning? Is it safe to retract the awning fully wet like this?

Anyone else experience this auto retract of the awning?
This is how my wife & I discovered the awning was a 'fair weather sun shade' also. I always used the awning on a pull behind to keep the rain off my picnic table! NOT SO in the Airstream Interstate - sun block only!

Worse part is my wife was running back and forth bringing things in the sliding door to get them in out of the rain as the awning retracted and just happened to be standing in the door when the last foot or so rolled in - WOOSH! about 20 gal of water came off the top all at once and doused her.

Been many other times in the 98+ degree heat that a quick breeze made the awning bounce a little too much and it retracted - - > worse part is I have to wait for it to go all the way in before I can extend it back out. ugggh.

I really like the electric extension and retract - just wish I had option to put support legs out and disable the tilt sensor.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Motorized awning is firmly on my list of features never to add to any rig. We saw one that spontaneously extended itself at highway speeds on IH-20 in Mississippi as we were returning from our recent Canada trip. It half-ripped off the rig before the driver could make it to the shoulder. Gosh only knows what it cost that poor sap to repair the side of his rig. Plus it created quite the traffic snarl.