Old 10-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The cause of the OP's beeping appears to have been identified in this thread, but let me interject another caveat especially for people who have purchased pre-owned Airstream Interstates:

Some owners are gun-shy about the possibility of water damage - as I understand it from reading various threads, especially if they happen to be previous owners of Airstream trailers, because older trailers often have rot issues. So they install third-party, battery-operated leak detection devices in nooks and crannies to alert them of any incipient leakage before damage gets done.

When the OP said his unknown beeping was coming from "close to the floor" and near the toilet, and when he didn't appear to indicate a step retraction problem which I know is common, my first thought was, "Oh, shoot, his previous owner buried a leak detector somewhere behind the bulkhead".

Not the case in this situation, but keep it in mind as a possibility if any of you ever get into the situation where OEM alarms don't appear to be the source.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonmj View Post
Well all I can say is that the awning will extend at speed as this happened to me during one of our trips. I retracted it and no beeps. Hit the interstate and about 5 hours later (the wife was driving) we hear this big booom and the large window behind the driver's door explodes. We look out the back and the awning is flying off behind us on the interstate. We pull over and the only thing left of the awning are the extension arms. I retrieve what parts of the awning that are left, patch up the window and keep on going home...damage to the vehicle and a new awning cost about $5000. Progressive insurance was a great company to deal with in this matter. Now I only use manual mode and did not mount the motor...still in the box....I don't trust it!!!!!
Okay. Now I've heard of it happening. I stand corrected. Was it the Fiamma F65, or the F65 Eagle with auto-retract?

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
We were at the beach a couple of weeks ago to watch the sunset.. We didn't even use the awning, in fact I haven't used it in a while... As we were driving home (lucky for us we were driving slow) the beeping started, so I hit the awning switch to see if that was the problem.. The awning retracted a bit and the beeping stopped.. A minute later it started beeping again.. Hit the button again then the damn thing unraveled all the way out on its own... It appears that it is slipping of the track that extends and retracts it.. We were able to get it back in and put a bungee cord around it till we got home.. Taking it for service soon.. Just glad we were only going 20 mph and not on the freeway..
Old 10-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
We were able to get it back in and put a bungee cord around it till we got home.
I'm partial to zip ties for stuff like that.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
F65S awning

We have the F65S awning. There should be a visual warning also to alert drivers that the awning is not secured.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm partial to zip ties for stuff like that.

I didn't have a ladder or zip ties. I had my niece get on my shoulders to push it it as far as we could get it, and then wrap the bungees around so we could get home.. Also had to deal with the beeping since it wasn't completely retracted..

I'm getting one of those telescope ladders you posted about in case I ever need to get up there again.. I'm just glad we were close to home and not on a trip..
Old 10-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Sounds like the gears stripped out if it could "free wheel" out.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Sounds like the gears stripped out if it could "free wheel" out.

Yes I do believe that is what happened.. I could manually crank it back up and it would hold for a while then if I extended it again it would have trouble retracting..
Old 10-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonmj View Post
Well all I can say is that the awning will extend at speed as this happened to me during one of our trips. I retracted it and no beeps. Hit the interstate and about 5 hours later (the wife was driving) we hear this big booom and the large window behind the driver's door explodes. We look out the back and the awning is flying off behind us on the interstate. We pull over and the only thing left of the awning are the extension arms. I retrieve what parts of the awning that are left, patch up the window and keep on going home...damage to the vehicle and a new awning cost about $5000. Progressive insurance was a great company to deal with in this matter. Now I only use manual mode and did not mount the motor...still in the box....I don't trust it!!!!!
YIKES! That is crazy. Glad you got it all fixed up again
Old 10-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
I'm getting one of those telescope ladders you posted about in case I ever need to get up there again.. I'm just glad we were close to home and not on a trip..
Yep, that's the same reason I'm getting a ladder; awning stuck out and no-one around for quite a while until a truck appeared and I was able to stand on the bed to wind in the awning.
There was a recall a year or so ago on the awning. Something to do with the auto-retract mechanism not being disabled with the engine running; so the motion was causing it to attempt to retract while running down the road. In my case this caused the awning gears to strip; had to be replaced under warranty.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

I'm getting one of those telescope ladders you posted about in case I ever need to get up there again.. ....
The response to that notion is *YES*. Ours was delivered a few days ago, and my engineer husband was so enamored with it that he took it over to our storage facility to try it out, despite the fact that we were dealing with the inconvenient remnants of Hurricane Patricia.

We cut pieces of dense foam pipe wrap to serve as cushions for when it leans on the side of the Interstate. If they are cut to the same length as the gap between rungs, they stay securely. The foam pieces get a permanent storage location inside the vehicle and the collapsed ladder goes behind the driver's seat.

This is the Telesteps 1400E, which was $184 on Amazon. We looked briefly at reviews for competing products but everything else seemed too knock-offish so we went with this. The foam pipe wrap is visible at the top in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151025_TELESTEPS2.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	251101  
Old 10-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
This is the Telesteps 1400E, which was $184 on Amazon. We looked briefly at reviews for competing products but everything else seemed too knock-offish so we went with this. The foam pipe wrap is visible at the top in this pic.
I have the Telesteps 10ES stepladder version, which doesn't need to lean against the side of the van. It's a little bit bulkier when collapsed, but I think it's better for my purposes.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
That's the one I want to get.. And I think I can store it underneath next to the spare tire.. I measured yesterday and I'm pretty sure I can mount it under there so it is out of the way..
Old 10-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I have the Telesteps 10ES stepladder version, which doesn't need to lean against the side of the van. It's a little bit bulkier when collapsed, but I think it's better for my purposes....
The mechanism wasn't clear to me on that version. The description widely used by vendors says "6 Feet step ladder height 10 Feet extension ladder climbing height". Does that mean you can flip the stabilizing portion upward or something?

Telesteps is a Swedish company; their product is superb but their US marketing information is not great. I wanted to be sure I could extend it all the way up with length to spare, and climb up onto the roof for washing, waxing, work, etc. Especially given that we will be installing solar ourselves.