Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I had it installed in May. I have remote start with it and believe I paid $1,200. It took 6 hours to install and has a few glitches maybe related to bad installation. I also add the IPhone feature which works but not all the features work correctly because the remote starter. Sensitivity is an issue as I leave near a rail road and passing trains will trigger the alarm. In general I am happy with it and would recommend it not so sure if I would pick the remote starter again.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
You have the Drone System? I have not had a single issue. Remote start works perfectly, every time I have ever used it.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
I had it installed in May. I have remote start with it and believe I paid $1,200. It took 6 hours to install and has a few glitches maybe related to bad installation. I also add the IPhone feature which works but not all the features work correctly because the remote starter. Sensitivity is an issue as I leave near a rail road and passing trains will trigger the alarm. In general I am happy with it and would recommend it not so sure if I would pick the remote starter again.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Hi Gerald, the remotes works great just I hardly use it. So I could saved the money and the stuff on the IPhone would work better. I like the system just that the cellular system has some issues like the status screen is not working correctly or I do not get alarm messages and now I get false alarm messages if I start the engine even so the system is deactivated. The problem is may related to a bad installation the customer service us pretty good as I had to use it before.
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
Thank you guys for your input on the Drone alarm system. I am going to go ahead and have it installed in a week or so. Sounds like a great fit. There does seem to be some grey area in between Drone & installer on just what components it takes. Remote starter is insanely expensive for that 1 module. Would any of the Drone experts here possibly be willing to supply a list of the components that you have installed so I could make sure I have the necessary parts? Don't want to reinvent the wheel if you are happy with your install, I'd like to obviously do the same. Thanks guys!
4K Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
First of all, be sure to go to Dronemobile.com and find an authorized dealer. Tell them you want remote start and steering wheel controls to be used with the Drone system. They should know what they need. If not, find another one who does.I believe Dronemobile provides the remote start module from MidCity Engineering but the steering wheel module is separately obtained.

But with that being said, the Drone system consists of three modules. The Drone main CPU, which controls the alarm and cellular modem, a module from Midcity Engineering which does the remote start, and a module from SonicElectronix for the steering wheel controls. You will also need a shock sensor and glass break detector (or at least, I did), siren, push pin sensor for the hood and the doors wired. The reason the remote start is expensive is because there is no other module available to do it.

See:

SmartKey Starter | Mid City Engineering
PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface - Sonic Electronix (I think this is the correct one)

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Shooter View Post
Thank you guys for your input on the Drone alarm system. I am going to go ahead and have it installed in a week or so. Sounds like a great fit. There does seem to be some grey area in between Drone & installer on just what components it takes. Remote starter is insanely expensive for that 1 module. Would any of the Drone experts here possibly be willing to supply a list of the components that you have installed so I could make sure I have the necessary parts? Don't want to reinvent the wheel if you are happy with your install, I'd like to obviously do the same. Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
I had it installed in May. I have remote start with it and believe I paid $1,200. It took 6 hours to install and has a few glitches maybe related to bad installation.
My MB dealer is quoting me $1700 - is there a list of modules / features that I should be making sure are included?

I don't mind paying him $100-$150 more than an electronics shop (the MB dealer will warranty the work.

Is there a LIST of items I should confirm are included?
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
My MB dealer is quoting me $1700 - is there a list of modules / features that I should be making sure are included?

I don't mind paying him $100-$150 more than an electronics shop (the MB dealer will warranty the work.

Is there a LIST of items I should confirm are included?
Each manufacturer's website should have a list of available modules to let you pick and choose. That's what I did with my Viper.

One essential (in my opinion) would be the glass break sensor. Most vehicle burglaries start with someone smashing a window.

If they use a Slim-Jim to jimmy a door open instead of breaking the glass, then a motion sensor will let you know as soon as they get in.

Between those two, you probably don't need a door-open sensor except to protect under the hood.

You already have a door remote built into the key, so another built into the alarm doesn't really help.

If you don't need a remote-start (you're not a diplomat or executive expecting a bomb, are you?) then that's also a wasted expense.

Shock sensor probably causes the most false alarms, but will let you know of a hit-and-run in a parking lot.

Tilt sensor only helps if someone tries to jack up or tow the vehicle (or flip it over if they're the Incredible Hulk), but can serve as a flat tire sensor if one of the front tires goes flat and causes the vehicle to tilt, too.