Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
The point is, maybe it isn’t a “union shop” that is the decider of quality. #JustSayin

http://inthesetimes.com/working/entr..._bleak_economyAttachment 329180
That article is dated 2009...When Toyota sales had fallen so far that they were shutting down production all over the world.... and they deliberately chose to kill a union contracted shop, while continuing production at newer facilities with robotic production that replaced even lower-paid workers. The quality of the work product was not the issue.... the issue was Toyotas abandonment of promises-made in favor of profits sent to Japan. (Note: I am a former Toyota employee in a non-union facility and have some degree of knowledge regarding this subject.)
Unions are the ones who brought us weekends, benefits, workplace safety, and community volunteers in United Way, Boy Scouting, Elder-care reform, equal employment opportunities, and product-safety/quality reforms. It's not their monopoly of those kinds of issues... but it's their leadership that forced other employers to meet those improved standards in order to hire employees, and those standards raised the bar for everyone else and improved the products for the consumers which was the point I wished to contribute.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
That article is dated 2009...When Toyota sales had fallen so far that they were shutting down production all over the world.... and they deliberately chose to kill a union contracted shop, while continuing production at newer facilities with robotic production that replaced even lower-paid workers. The quality of the work product was not the issue.... the issue was Toyotas abandonment of promises-made in favor of profits sent to Japan. (Note: I am a former Toyota employee in a non-union facility and have some degree of knowledge regarding this subject.)

Unions are the ones who brought us weekends, benefits, workplace safety, and community volunteers in United Way, Boy Scouting, Elder-care reform, equal employment opportunities, and product-safety/quality reforms. It's not their monopoly of those kinds of issues... but it's their leadership that forced other employers to meet those improved standards in order to hire employees, and those standards raised the bar for everyone else and improved the products for the consumers which was the point I wished to contribute.

I’m not really here to debate the benefit and liabilities of union shops, my point was and remains that unionization is not a decider of high quality.

Toyota proves my point for me.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
I did both, as well as sent thru a picture of the heating pads