Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Hi Wachuko,

What is the height of your grill when collapsed? I am looking for a new one because the Weber will not fit in my Interstate without trouble...

Thanks!
I will try to take photos this weekend and confirm... but it is about 6.5"...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Most regular gas grills -even the tail gate type require a higher pressure than the gas from the trailer. Hence the "Airstream WeberQ" which is already modified or creating your own connection to allow for the lower pressure gas to work with whatever you have (and to work back on the regular little bottles you have to unmodify).

We looked into that, but since my husband prefers to cook away from the trailer and to grill on the Weber Q at home as well, decided against it.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwebs View Post
Most regular gas grills -even the tail gate type require a higher pressure than the gas from the trailer. Hence the "Airstream WeberQ" which is already modified or creating your own connection to allow for the lower pressure gas to work with whatever you have (and to work back on the regular little bottles you have to unmodify).

We looked into that, but since my husband prefers to cook away from the trailer and to grill on the Weber Q at home as well, decided against it.

I picked up the same Airstream Weber grill at Alumapalooza at Jackson Center. I have had a Weber Q1000 for around 15 years and it was starting to show a few problems. I was considering removing the regulator to have it work with the Airstream propane quick connect. Rather that spend money refurbishing my old Weber Q I just purchased the newer Airstream model.

I also have an Outland Firebowl that runs on propane. I was getting tired of hauling the propane tanks in the bed of my truck (20lb for the firepit and 5lb for the grill). Since my new Weber uses the quick connect on the Airstream, I went to a local propane shop and had them remove the regulator from the Outland Firebowl and add the same quick connect that is on the Airstream Weber grill. We followed instructions from Outland on how to do this, (you are basically removing the regulator just like you would on a non-Airstream Weber Grill). I then purchased a 17’ propane hose, (that has the same fittings as the 10’ Weber grill hose).

Now, I should be able to run my Weber grill and my Outland Firebowl from the Airstream propane tanks. I will use the 17’ for the firebowl and 10’ for the Weber grill.

Lastly, there may be occasions where I would like to use my Firebowl or Weber grill at home off of regular propane tank. I had the same company make me a 10’ hose with a regulator to screw into my propane tanks at home and a quick connect fitting that will attach to the Firebowl and Weber grill, see the picture attached. It has been so hot here lately I haven’t tried them both out yet but I can’t see why this won’t work and allow me to you these on the road and at home. I will test later this week when the cold front passes through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Connecter w-regulator.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	347285  
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
For those who want to do this on their own or want to convert their own weber, there is a kit to do so on Amazon. $38. 12 ft. hose. I bought this and the color I wanted (Q1200 / blue) and saved some money and free shipping. It's just a couple of bolts to take off the regulator and then just add the quick connect. This will fit quite a few Weber models.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I posted something on another thread, I dont like have the grill at the front of the trailer so i use flameking refillable 1lb tanks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...LBKT/305539519

Available from amazon and other places too. I keep 2 in the airstream which is plenty for a couple of trips.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #26
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I picked up the same Airstream Weber grill at Alumapalooza at Jackson Center. I have had a Weber Q1000 for around 15 years and it was starting to show a few problems. I was considering removing the regulator to have it work with the Airstream propane quick connect. Rather that spend money refurbishing my old Weber Q I just purchased the newer Airstream model.

I also have an Outland Firebowl that runs on propane. I was getting tired of hauling the propane tanks in the bed of my truck (20lb for the firepit and 5lb for the grill). Since my new Weber uses the quick connect on the Airstream, I went to a local propane shop and had them remove the regulator from the Outland Firebowl and add the same quick connect that is on the Airstream Weber grill. We followed instructions from Outland on how to do this, (you are basically removing the regulator just like you would on a non-Airstream Weber Grill). I then purchased a 17’ propane hose, (that has the same fittings as the 10’ Weber grill hose).

Now, I should be able to run my Weber grill and my Outland Firebowl from the Airstream propane tanks. I will use the 17’ for the firebowl and 10’ for the Weber grill.

Lastly, there may be occasions where I would like to use my Firebowl or Weber grill at home off of regular propane tank. I had the same company make me a 10’ hose with a regulator to screw into my propane tanks at home and a quick connect fitting that will attach to the Firebowl and Weber grill, see the picture attached. It has been so hot here lately I haven’t tried them both out yet but I can’t see why this won’t work and allow me to you these on the road and at home. I will test later this week when the cold front passes through.
Hi Jim,

Just curious where you bought your 17' propane hose?

I just bought an Airstream grill while attending the Internationally Rally in Doswell. But I would like more hose to move the grill farther away from the AS.

Thanks,

Bob
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Hi Jim,

Just curious where you bought your 17' propane hose?

I just bought an Airstream grill while attending the Internationally Rally in Doswell. But I would like more hose to move the grill farther away from the AS.

Thanks,

Bob
Hi Bob,

Nice to hear from you again! Still loving the extra towel hanger you sent me last year for our Globetrotter. I got the hose on Amazon, see the picture below for the item description as I couldn't figure out how to copy the link here. Also, it was 20' instead of 17'.

In full disclosure, I contacted Weber to try and get another 10' hose or longer to extend the one supplied with the grill. Weber told me they only recommend the hose that came with the grill and if I use a longer hose it could possibly void any warranty. Personally, I don't see how this hose would not work as it has the same connections, etc.

I bought this hose for the propane firepit so it would be further away from the RV. I will probably also try it with the grill some as I've read others using a longer hose with their converted non-Airstream Weber's. However, I did want to supply you with all the information I gathered in doing this little project.

Hope to see you on the road sometime.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20 foot propane hose.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	347350  
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
I just got this stainless version but 12 feet long, for connection to the low pressure propane port with quick connect.... arrived yesterday, will test soon!

https://amzn.to/2YcdeMm
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Is there a problem connecting two hoses together for more distance? I bought two 12’ hoses with quick connect ends. Seems to work by just linking them together for those times we want to move the grill further away.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Is there a problem connecting two hoses together for more distance? I bought two 12’ hoses with quick connect ends. Seems to work by just linking them together for those times we want to move the grill further away.

Should work just fine....
Old 07-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The only possible issue would be pressure drop due to high flow rate.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
I just got this stainless version but 12 feet long, for connection to the low pressure propane port with quick connect.... arrived yesterday, will test soon!

https://amzn.to/2YcdeMm
I like the braided stainless, but isn't that an extension instead of a grill hose?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I like the braided stainless, but isn't that an extension instead of a grill hose?

Correct.

It connects to the Coleman Roadtrip grill using this:
https://amzn.to/2M90QtX

That way the hose is generic and I can use it for other things. Keep your hoses generic with quick connects and adapt grills and generators to use the quick connects. You have a lot of flexibility that way.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
For those using a low-pressure converted Weber (and probably other grills as well), Torjik sells a little QC hose with a regulator that allows you to also use the green bottles if you want. So you can run off your airstream or remotely on a green bottle by selecting the appropriate hose.

I run off the airstream but have a green bottle in my outdoor kitchen kit as an alternative option.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Hi all -

Is this the Q1100 (or similar) that can be relatively easily converted to low pressure propane (to tap directly off the outlet at the front of the trailer)?

It looks like it, but I'm not that familiar with grills and the pictures are just 'ok'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 9.18.10 PM.png
Views:	65
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	362368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 9.22.41 PM.png
Views:	79
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	362369  

doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2020 27' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
Having trouble heating up the Airstream Grill. Doesn't get hotter than 200. Need suggestions to trouble shoot. The first thing we did was to use the other full propane tank.
Didn't help.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
Hi all -

Is this the Q1100 (or similar) that can be relatively easily converted to low pressure propane (to tap directly off the outlet at the front of the trailer)?

It looks like it, but I'm not that familiar with grills and the pictures are just 'ok'.
Yes. They are great grills. But why convert them. I use a 10lb tank with it and I hook up both my Coleman stove and the BBQ at the same time. Lasts 3 to 4 weeks and I can move it where I want. I have the stand for the BBQ and a portable table for the 2 burner stove. A lot more flexible than the fixed outlet. I store the tank in the back compartment under the bed. Just need to turn sideways to get it through the door, then it can stand upright. Same compartment holds the BBQ. Just need to remove the lid.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Yes. They are great grills. But why convert them. ....
Because this is a van subforum. Van owners have immense difficulty traveling with anything other than their chassis-installed propane tanks. We have no integrated exterior storage and no TV.

Speaking of which, travel circumstances have changed with the pandemic, and now I, too, am in the market for a van-compatible propane grill to augment my charcoal and wood cooking options.

As discussed on multiple threads, T1N Interstate owners cannot Y their onboard propane tanks because the rear leaf spring is in the way of the manifold. We need to carry separate tank(s) if we are going to grill using gas.

So, I'm now shopping for a micro-grill and micro-tank(s) to go with it.

Up until now, I've grilled using wood harvested from my own acreage. But I can't start wood fires on my property when the wind comes from the north - it's not safe. This wasn't a problem prior to now - if we had a north-wind day I would just do something else that day. But now we have ongoing pandemic restrictions and closures, and I need to increase my on-property options.

I know that this thread is titled "Weber", but if anyone else has tiny grill suggestions, please pipe up. Thanks.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I will try to take photos this weekend and confirm... but it is about 6.5"...
Reverting to the Wachuko and Bugs sub-discussion...

I've reviewed the tiny, tiny, tiny propane grill options, and at this point, I do not see a superior alternative to the Magma little kettle.

HOWEVER, oh my gosh, its shore stand *sucks*! Clearly they anticipated near-100% boat usage where it would be attached, and the shore stand was a total afterthought. I want a decent shore stand that folds up - not that abomination with three legs sticking out in all directions. There is no picnic table where I'll be taking it. And I don't attach grills to the side or rear of my van. The cooking smoke will just permeate the van if that is done. It needs to be situated away from the van.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The original small Magma is currently on sale for $150 at West Marine.

I picked one up and will post back when we have stand-related modifications designed and built to maximize the efficiency of carrying it in the Interstate.