Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
They have a nice lounge area, and some local hotels give a bit of a discount, but other than that you are pretty much on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Out of curiosity, does Jackson Center have anything to make you feel comfortable while you're waiting on repairs, etc? Any arrangements with a local hotel/motel, lend you a car, etc?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
They have a nice lounge area, and some local hotels give a bit of a discount, but other than that you are pretty much on your own.
What a bummer - I guess I've been spoilt by my local dealer. They're a Mercedes dealer in fashionable Scottsdale and lend me a fancy C250 for as long as it takes.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The waiting area at Airstream has free coffee and hot chocolate and wifi so you can wait and wait there comparing notes with other people waiting for repairs. There are few restaurants in town—there was a fairly good one a few blocks east in an old house and a pizza joint a bit further east.

They return the Airstream to the campground every night so you can sleep in it, but if they have torn out the bed, I don't know what you do. You can eat in the Airstream before they take it to the service center (maybe at 7:30 am) and afterward, but you may prefer going out to eat. There's a pretty good breakfast place in a nearby town, but I can't remember the name of either. There's a greasy spoon next to the Airstream complex for a greasy breakfast.

You have to come into the building when it opens and to get in line so they take your unit in first. Disconnect the sewer, electric and water lines beforehand. The sewer is pretty far from sewer valves on the side of newer units so bring a long sewer hose—the sewers were put in when the trailers had the sewer drain at the back.

Make sure they leave the fridge running if you have food in it.

While you wait, you can take the factory tour (Mon-Thurs) when we were there, but after one tour, not so much a thing to do. But every tour is a bit different.

The campground is free if you are having work done.

Gene
Old 07-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
While working in the power box under the couch, fixing (I hope) issues with battery monitor....I happened to notice daylight coming in under the curbside rear door. I immediately checked that doors were closed...yes. All door edges line up. No obvious warp. All gaskets look good. Could explain that darned draft I felt camping last Feb. Will examine all strikes and attach points next. Not sure if this is a Mercedes shop issue or Airstream shop. $&#%

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Well, it never stops amazing me as to what I find has gone wrong in my Interstate because of the poor build quality.

In detailing my Interstate this year while polishing the roof, I discovered that because the installers use a power drill to install one of the two 360 tank vents on the roof, he managed to crack it to such a degree that it had a 1/8th gap in the top between two screws and was mostly being held on with the Adseal caulk. Not only could the think fly off some day, it probably has been leaking. Now out of warranty, I will replace it myself rather than have to deal with Airstream. But that is nothing new. They also power drilled the toilet paper holder and the vent cover and cracked both as well, that I replaced myself.

And now it would appear that the paint on the plastic side covers is starting to fail. There is what appears to be buffing marks starting to appear under the clear coat. These do not polish or rub out because they are actually under the clear coat and not on it.

Eventually, they will all have to be repainted-and it won't be cheap.

So, add these on your list of things to look be on the look out for.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Mine was in the shop for the entire month of June to replace the inverter and other stuff. Now it's in the shop again to get the house Ac and microwave repair. I think I should hire an attorney to get a new unit. Anyone have any recommendation or how the Lemon Laws work in Texas?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
See TxDMV.GOV - Lemon Law .

They will say they fixed the problem the first time which could be true. Unfortunately, there is no remedy for multiple-and different-issues that need fixing. Although I have to admit, when I was being told that all Interstate showers don't drain-by Jim Parish, sitting in the van discussing the issue, and he then asked me what I did for a living, he was a bit taken aback when I told him. You guessed it, the next thing out of my mouth was ...maybe I should consider a class action, Jim, if they all don't drain... . LOL! Mine sure drains now!

What was wrong with the Inverter? That should not take a month to fix. I replaced the Tripplite in my 2011 myself with the Magnum MMS1012, added the new remote and installed the battery monitor, and I got that done in a few hours. Switching out a new inverter would take me about twenty minutes.

I'm guessing it took 30 days because no one did anything for the first 29.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post

And now it would appear that the paint on the plastic side covers is starting to fail. There is what appears to be buffing marks starting to appear under the clear coat. These do not polish or rub out because they are actually under the clear coat and not on it.
Mine started doing the same thing. I first noticed on the short piece below the fuel filler door. But now it's spreading including the front bumper. Looks like someone wire brushed it. I'm guessing poor paint prep. Maybe they weren't using a flex agent in the paint.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:51 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
The inverter got burnt and I still don't know why. It's fixed two weeks ago and when I took it home to test everything. That's when I found out the house AC is not cold and the microwave didn't work. Called Airstream today and the guy I was talking too said that it is impossible for every electronics in it can go out like that unless I was messing with it or I plugged it in a 240v outlet. I was offended and I told him the last time it was plugged into shore power was at the dealership and that I don't have that type of plug at my house. After all the explaining and arguing with him for 15 mins he just asked for my number to call me back. I think their technical support sucks cause they were the same people that told me my rear bed can't fold flat because the foam in the seat was thicker than the 2013. The dealership finally got it to fold completely flat after 1 month.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
And I thought I had problems! Who did you talk at Airstream? Based on my experience while at Jackson Center, it is highly likely something is mis-wired either by Airstream or the dealer. They apparently do very little or no checkout after they come off the line and are delivered to dealers. They let the customers do that when they take delivery, as you are finding out.

When you get it fixed, be sure to test all systems, AC, shore power, genset, inverter,AC, and DC before you leave the dealer, not after, to be sure they are working.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #95
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know whether Airstream-branded rigs are built on the same assembly line as Thor-branded ones?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Interstates are built in a small building in Jackson Center across the street from the main trailer assembly factory. I was told they have about 21 workers in three teams putting out three units a day (15 a week). No other Thor products are built there.

So, basically, 7 people built your Interstate in an 8 hour shift. And you wonder why they don't have time to clean up the mess or there are issues like mis-wiring or cracked plastic vent caps.

Again, Caveat Emptor.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cracked plastic because of drilling too aggressively has been a problem for years and years. It is a function of poor training and poor quality control.

If there are dimples around the exterior rivets, I have been told that is also unnecessary and happens because of too much pressure on the rivet gun.

I have had good experiences dealing with customer relations, but not everyone has. One person there has a long reputation for making excuses and being difficult about warranty questions. Ask to speak to the boss.

And I have found, like it appears gmiller' has, that being a lawyer sure can help in getting good service. So all you have to do is go to laws school for 3 years, pay a lot of money for tuition and pass the bar exam, but by that time the warranty will have run out (that means you should have majored in math first).

Gene