Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Can't tell you what is wrong with the valves, but I can bet the issue is the fuse to the power cable to the camera.

Mine did the same thing. I replaced it three times. The third time, I traced the wire to the camera and located it on the right side on the upper storage area. The installers simply stuff the wire in the hole and it puts back pressure on the old style fuse which is spring loaded. So, driving down the road, the goes off and on as the power is connected/disconnected.

To fix it yourself, remove the right storage panel by removing the screws holding it to the frame. You may have to disconnect the DC wire to the outlet and AC outlet, but if you can, just move it out of the way. Look inside the lower center area and you will see a rat's nest of wires. The camera's power cable is among them. It should be a round fuse like you would find on an old radio. Untangle the mess, wrap some tape around it to keep the wire from moving, and maybe pull out the spring a bit, and your problem will likely disappear. It did for me.

As to reliability, here's my take, having owned both.

My Roadtrek RS Adventurous, purchased new, had one defect-a screw on the front bumper had shorted out the chassis temperature probe. Roadtrek paid for the repair. In four years, that was the only warranty issue. I did have to remove the house batteries and repaint the box they were in because acid had spilled out and it was starting to rust.

I traded it for the 2011 Interstate in March of 2011. On the drive home, I noticed a loud popping sound driving down the road, and smelled propane the first night I stayed in the unit on the way home.

Propane was caused by connector on range not tightened. Fixed it myself when I got home.

I tracked the popping sound down to the top of the galley rubbing on the wardrobe next to it. Took it to a dealer, who looked puzzled, and squirted a glob of Sika under the counter that did nothing. I later removed the counter top, moved it over 1/32" and put it back. Fixed.

When I got home, I removed the back seat to take a look at the electonics. I was stunned at the debris on the floor. Nothing was cleaned up-loose wires, insulation, pieces of wire that was stripped, etc., was on the floor. I vacuumed up as much as I could.

The Pyle monitor died. Airstream sent me another. It died, too. Then I simply bought a different model on Ebay for $30 as someone named Dan at Airstream refused to send me another one unless I drove it 250 miles to a dealer to check for wiring issues. Turned out he was right. It flickered on and off-unlike the Pyle units that worked and then died. Found the problem was the stuffing of wires on the fuse as I outlined above and fixed it myself.

The air vent fan broke off the hub. The manufacturer sent me a new one I installed myself. I can't blame Airstream for that issue.

The refrigerator was wired so it would run off the inverter and not 12vdc when not on shore power. Rewired it myself.

The macerator started leaking after the first winter. In looking at the design of the waste plumbing, the 3" line is lower than the macerator, and can never be emptied no matter how long you run the pump because it is half filled with air, so the pump won't pump after the tank is fully drained. So there is standing water in the hose and macerator at all times-and it will freeze in the winter, which is what happened to mine, even though I used anti-freeze through the line until pink came out the hose. Apparently, it is too diluted with the amount of water in the hose, which is significant. I replaced the macerator at my cost. Still working on a fix for winter.

The design of the shower requires opening the access panel to raise the cover on the toilet so it can't be used when closed. It adds only a couple of inches in the back and none at all anywhere else. I removed the panel closeouts and permanently closed the access panel. It is a stupid design.

After my first winter, I de-winterized and turned on the water. Water gushed out from inside the van. Turned out there is a check valve to the black tank flush line that holds water and breaks when it freezes. It would have been nice to know that it will freeze if not winterized. I removed it and fixed it myself. Be warned.

Several side panels came off because of inadequate service preparation. Repaired them myself which was very difficult.

Sewer hose would not spool up inside spool because hose was too long. Cut off about 3 feet and replaced the nozzle.

There is no insulation behind the bath which caused the bath to become a sauna in the sun. There is no insulation behind the streetside wardrobe either. I managed to place some reflextrix and insulation in the space behind the shower through the access panel that helped the issue but not perfectly. It was very difficult. There is a closeout on the wardrobe side, so I was not able to do anything about it. I may add some reflextrix on the inside of the wardrobe to keep it from becoming an oven.

The slider door window leaked. Took it to the dealer who replaced it. Continued to leak. While at Jackson Center, it was removed and replaced. I was told the wrong gasket was installed. Fixed at Jackson Center under warranty.

Trim on wardrobe came loose. Fixed at Jackson Center.

Smaller burner never would light. Fixed at Jackson Center.

Transfer switch never did work correctly. Turned out the bolt holding it near the battery was not tight, so it was not making a good connection so the house batteries would not charge while driving. Fixed at Jackson Center.

Finally, the shower never would drain. Water pooled on the curbside no matter how level or for that matter, unlevel on the curbside the unit was parked. The shower also developed a crack in the front right corner which was repaired twice, and reappeared three times. I took it 250 miles to a dealer who acknowledged the floor was not level, and who also admitted they were not inclined to take on the repair as it requires a complete tear out. Took it to Jackson Center, 847 miles. Five days, first denial there was an issue until I made them compare it to a new unit parked next to mine which drained and mine didn't, and much debate, a complete tear out later, the shower drains, at least on the floor (but not behind the toilet). The crack came back the next day (or was there when I drove off). I did have them completely block the windows with reflectrix and insulate the area behind the shower. It no longer gets hot.

All in all, though I guess it could be worse. But in my opinion Airstream is more interested in moving product than quality or design. While at the dealer, I met other owners who had similar stories. Wires wired backwards or loose connections. Heating vents crushed on trailers behind inaccessible walls. Frames that broke. Having multiple repairs for the same issue, etc. Granted, this was the service center where problems tend to be magnified, but the problems reported showed little concern for build quality.

This is what I have experienced with my Interstate. You can make your own decision as to the reliability of these units and hopefully, my experience will help you and others in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
So last weekend I collected it from the dealer - and the list was finally down to zero and I was feeling pretty elated! But on the way back home I suddenly noticed the Pyle monitor was blinking off and on. The list was back!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Several side panels came off because of inadequate service preparation.
Were these the plastic trim that run down the sides?

Mine are coming loose on the ends and the dealer (not a dealer anymore) "fixed" it by using some black "dumdum". That lasted 'til the sun hit it. Will get some 3M trim mounting tape to fix permanently.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Yes. Use 3M red tape that you can get from an auto parts store, and use alcohol to prepare the surface.

I spoke to the Production Manager about that issue, too. He says they are supposed to prep them, and the new units are different from the ones on my unit. They look the same to me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Were these the plastic trim that run down the sides?

Mine are coming loose on the ends and the dealer (not a dealer anymore) "fixed" it by using some black "dumdum". That lasted 'til the sun hit it. Will get some 3M trim mounting tape to fix permanently.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks. That's what I plan to use.

In general w/ such poor workmanship thruout the RV, I guess we shouldn't expect much.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
This is what I have experienced with my Interstate. You can make your own decision as to the reliability of these units and hopefully, my experience will help you and others in that regard.
Wow, thank you gmillerok1 for the suggestion with the Pyle and for such a well-documented and lengthy account of all your issues. It's very reassuring to see you tackled the Jackson Center with some of them. Nothing like showing them first-hand what an owner is putting up with.
I will check out the fuse in the upper right storage area as you suggested.
Thanks again, Peter
Old 06-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
I said right. I meant street side. The side you face if looking foward, would be the left side where the camera fuse is located. It will well below the floor of the storage compartment stuffed down below it on the side and not easy to spot. Pull all the wires up and it will be in there somewhere.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I don't know how other rv companies deal with their warranty work, but I know it takes Airstream too long to get the warranty repairs done. It's just not about Airstream reliability issues, but also their warranty too. All my problems on the other thread I posted still haven't been fix and my RV been sitting at the dealer for over a month. I kept calling them and they said Airstream has not send out the parts. I said I wanted to pick up my RV and they told me I shouldn't because they took the stuff apart. I wish I was going crazy and smash up the vehicle in front of the dealership on their busiest day to protest the company for their shoddy craftsmanship and bad customer service.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungrace View Post
I don't know how other rv companies deal with their warranty work, but I know it takes Airstream too long to get the warranty repairs done. It's just not about Airstream reliability issues, but also their warranty too. All my problems on the other thread I posted still haven't been fix and my RV been sitting at the dealer for over a month. I kept calling them and they said Airstream has not send out the parts. I said I wanted to pick up my RV and they told me I shouldn't because they took the stuff apart. I wish I was going crazy and smash up the vehicle in front of the dealership on their busiest day to protest the company for their shoddy craftsmanship and bad customer service.
Fully understand and sympathize with you, Dungrace. I know I've mentioned this before, but if you can make verbal contact with Jim Parrett and *gently* explain your issues and frustration to him, he may be able to help speed things up.
Under normal circumstances you would only deal with the dealer, but if you feel the dealer is failing in their responsibility, or taking too long to resolve the matter, then I think you have every right to go directly to Airstream support.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
I wondered too but came to the conclusion it stood for "Same Old Box" until someone on an earlier post mentioned some other brand!! Wolf146
Old 07-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Having spent a week sitting in the lounge at Jackson Center, directly in front of the two young women who answer the phone for parts and service as my Interstate was torn apart and rebuilt, I can tell you that if they have the parts they go out the same or next day. I would call Randy McNeely, who trys very hard to make customers happy and will listen to your complaint, and also confirm your dealer's story. What part, exactly, do they need? If you unit is older, they may have to custom fabricate it, though, and that could take longer than normal, but it shouldn't take a month.

Airstream keeps parts for current models in inventory, but anything older than a year or two, unless it is identical to the current model, is not kept and must be made to order, is my understanding. The parts may have to come through the Customer Service department, and hence, you should call Randy and inquire as to what the delay is being caused by. Randy is also tuned to listen to your complaints and will try to assist you. Relying on your dealer to get for both an explanation and getting something done is not a good idea. He will find better things to do. Stock parts made by other manufacturer's should not take more than a day or two to ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungrace View Post
Old 07-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Having spent a week sitting in the lounge at Jackson Center........
Out of curiosity, does Jackson Center have anything to make you feel comfortable while you're waiting on repairs, etc? Any arrangements with a local hotel/motel, lend you a car, etc?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Although I have been one of the folks dumping on Airstream's quality control, I do agree that they are among the best in the industry in systematically documenting and supporting their products over the years. You can download from their website an amazing variety of owner's manuals and parts manuals from long ago, and they can indeed often produce parts from long out of production vehicles. They are a class act in this regard.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Out of curiosity, does Jackson Center have anything to make you feel comfortable while you're waiting on repairs, etc? Any arrangements with a local hotel/motel, lend you a car, etc?
Been wondering the same thing since I'm still having unresolved electrical issues and my dealer is no longer a dealer and from previous posts in this forum, it doesn't sound like the two closet ones are much help.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

In our experience - no major problems just minor warranty work and customization - the trailer was taken in to the service bay and back to the terraport each night so we slept comfortably in our own trailer. If you have major systems that don't work, that setup may not help you.

There is not much in the area - I wasn't looking for hotels and don't recall seeing them.