Old 06-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #57

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
A long time ago—1970's I believe—Toyota had a small camper fiberglass body on a pick up frame and cab. They were a bit top heavy and I would see one every once in a while into the '90's. If Casita built a Class C, it might look like the Toyota, but the Toyota model was called the Chinook. Checking all mighty Google, there were also more standard looking Class C Toyota's. Just Google Toyota Motorhome and many are for sale. Fords, Dodges and other brands' chassis have been used to build Class C MH's for many years and some people called them by that name rather than the builder of the MH part.
The original Toyota/Chinook was on a beefed up ton Toyota cab chassis, had a popup top, could sleep two very compatible adults on the dinette and two pre-teen sized children in hammock like upper berths, had a porta-potty in the rear by the exit door, two burner propane stovetop and oven, propane furnace, 20 gallon fresh water tank, sink, a dinette that made down into a bed, and a surprising amount of storage space under the dinette seats. It made a snug but serviceable motor home for our family, but in the winter, in spite of the best efforts of the furnace the canvas in the pop top didn't offer much protection from the elements. It was better than the Wheel Camper popup trailer that preceded it though.

With our family aboard and full tanks at full (feet flat on the floor) throttle it would do 65 mph downhill and on the flat at low altitudes. Climbing the mountains in Colorado think more in terms of 25 to 30 mph tops. Truck drivers that got behind me used to complain on the CB that we were cutting them down to below minimum wage because we were so slow and I couldn't argue with them. My wife would sometimes give them some of her home made jerky as an apology for slowing them down. With the popup top the center of gravity was low enough that it handled crosswinds pretty well. It got us through the pre-teen years and my wife used it as a rolling study carrel on campus while she was working on her MTh degree.

The "Casita like" body came later and fortunately was on a heavier pickup chassis with a bigger engine, but made up for that with a heavier camper body and more sail area if not more wind drag than the earlier pop top. Still later Chinooks had small Ford van underpinnings and I saw one of those just a few months ago with a luggage trailer on the back and two bicycles on the front.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
As things get more complex their perceived reliability drops. A friend with a SOB recently traded it in because the slide out wouldn't stay in while on the road. Had to carry a big rope to tie it up. Fixed and failed several times. Another with a SOB the cabinets were nailed together except the nails were about one inch off to the side missing the wall so their hands were speared every time they reached in.

What i really like about my Airstream is the nice handling and truly unique interior styling. In my view most all SOB's appear to share the same linoleum, wall coverings and countertops. Boring.
The uninformed here, what does SOB stand for?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post

The uninformed here, what does SOB stand for?
Some other brand :-)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
LOL, I was wondering too, but afraid to ask
Old 06-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Bringing this thread back in line with the forum category, I can't help but wonder what the Westfalia folks say about the reliability of their"Airstreams" vs the newer models. Putting aside the advances in the chassis, are their components holding up better? Is the body integrity better (fewer leaks, less rust etceteras?)

I think there is much more innovation in Euro based RVs like the Thomas Cook line than in the US based manufacturers, and to some extent the Canadians which I would rate above the US brands, with the possible exception of Advanced RV. Still wish one could buy a current model Thomas Cook Westfalia.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Interesting thought. There were so few AS westies sold I wonder if any owners are on the forums. Had my chance to buy a new one, I did not, another mistake in my life. Jim
Old 06-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks for more info on the Toyota/Chinook, 2nd edition. Friends had one 25-30 years ago and almost went off the road in the Colorado mountains when someone came at them on the wrong side of the road and they barely got past the nut case. This was not all that stable a vehicle and was sold shortly after. It was a dandy little camper, but not as stable as they wanted.

Now back to Airstream….

Gene
Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Correction... Westfalias were JAMES Cook models, not Thomas Cook.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
We almost bought a Westy instead of our Interstate back in '05, so I've been casually following their community ever since. The consensus seems to be that the Westy parts of the van are great, and the Airstream NAFTA mods (TV antenna/wiring, waste system, fixed propane tanks, etc) were poorly done. There are some problem areas in the German parts, most notably the remote control skylight. There is bitterness that as soon as Airstream lost interest, they dropped support like a hot potato. Very difficult to get replacement parts, apparently. A lot of ingenuity in improvising fixes. They all seem to love their rigs though, and they have maintained good resale prices.

At least that is the impression I get from reading the Westy lists.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #66
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I had a 2005 with 12000 original miles in the shop the other day. It was like a time capsule. Owner never used the toilet or fridge etc... just a place to rest when traveling across country 3 times
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3028.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	214908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3026.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	214909  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	214910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3030.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	214911  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
A few years ago, before we bought our AS Classic, We had a couple of average SOB's, a Sportsman 19' and a Kit 28'. We needed a 5th wheel to work in and use as a traveling office. Of all the 5th wheels made at that time, the Carriage was rated in the top 2 makers. It was Amish made, and thought to be the best quality. We bought a monster 40' with 2 slides, one slide was a full living room. In the first year, I wrote down 26 warranty issues. We were working in Ohio and took the Carriage to their factory in Indiana and staid a week getting the problems fixed. One of the most annoying problems was a creaky floor. They told me they couldn't fix it, that I would have to live with the creak. The dealer told me that they would have to take off the pan and try and do a reverse up-screw to fix it, but the factory refused to do it. So much for reputation. As far as our 2002 AS Classic with a slide, is concerned, we have never been happier with any RV trailer. Under constant use and many miles, the biggest thing we have changed out are the tires and lug nuts. I did have to replace the main black & grey water valves, but after 12 years, I don't think that's a big issue. I also had to replace the mother board on the AC unit. Again, I give this AS an A+ for the number of hookups and different campgrounds this unit has experienced without incident. IMHO, the Airstream Company is a real winner, and Made in the USA.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Again, I give this AS an A+ for the number of hookups and different campgrounds this unit has experienced without incident. IMHO, the Airstream Company is a real winner, and Made in the USA.
Good to hear, Pappy.

I know that most people only post when they have a complaint and that skews perception that all Airstreams are plagued with problems.

It's nice to hear a positive report for a change.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post

I know that most people only post when they have a complaint and that skews perception that all Airstreams are plagued with problems.
How do you know that?

As I posted above, there has been some research into who posts on review websites and it found people post more positive than negative comments.

One thing is indisputable, some people have had a lot of problems.

Gene
Old 06-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
madison , South Dakota
We bought a very slightly used 2009 Classic almost a year and a half ago. Full timed since, about 15,000 miles, and except fpr a blown tire, we have had no issues whatsoever. Several months in WA, MS and MI where it rained more often than not and no leaks. So far...so good as they say