Old 07-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Airstream quality control

In reading the threads on this subject you would think they could never sell another airstream. I see so many on the road and read here of so many repeat buyers...something doesn't connect here.

If the quality is so bad you would think Thor would know it and do something about it. And maybe they are working on it?

Maybe commenter was right when he said the folks with a good experience don't speak up. We've had our 2016 GT a couple of weeks and had a few little things (including my error a few times) but nothing has shown up yet of the magnitude described. No heavy rain yet however.

Only real problem we are having is living in such a small space. That will take getting used to.

Drives like a dream. Visibility for touring is fantastic.

If there are essentially trouble-free owners of Interstate purchased new out there, can you weigh in?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #2

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I have haunted various user to user support forums for many years, and in fact moderate a couple of Apple computer related ones. Reading any of these forums would convince the casual reader the product is junk because all they see are problem reports. The purpose of those and this forum are troubleshooting and information gathering. Even weighing in on someone else's troubleshooting thread with, "I don't have that problem" is not only unhelpful, it is a boring waste of time, bandwidth, and disk space.

As far as my 2013 AI goes the only problems I have had have been self-inflicted. I hang around and read this forum so I don't become guilty of creating additional problems and I have picked up some good ideas from other AI owners.

While I don't like the ride in the AI's lounge, that is a function of the suspension system in the heavy duty MB Sprinter 3500 chassis and has nothing to do with quality control or Airstream for that matter. I have also picked up ideas around here for some enhancements some of which I have implemented and some of which I will implement in the future. Those are a matter of personal choice/preference and Airstream design decisions and do not reflect poor construction or quality control.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Good point. As an experienced Airstream owner you make perfect sense. For a Newby to GT like me, trying to go up the learning curve maybe I think the percentage of GT's with problems (based upon reading the forum) is much higher than it really is.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #4

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Don't feel bad. I have had any number of similar conversations with newbys on several different forums for different products. The very nature of help forums presents a very distorted view.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have had three new AS over the years including a brand new 2015 30' FC and so far (knock on wood) none have given us much of a problem, except of course our screw ups.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
We picked up our 2015 Sport 16 in January. Just got home from a trip where we completed our 46th night in the trailer. We have been through six very heavy rains of several hours duration each. I have been through that trailer with a magnifying glass and flashlight after each one determined to find a leak. So far no luck...dry as a bone. The AS is our fourth RV. Couldn't say the same about the previous three.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Satisfied customer

We have a 2014 Eddie Bauer 27' with about 200 nights and 10,000 miles on it so far and while we did have a couple of little things taken care of under warranty at Jackson Center, we have been very satisfied with the quality of our Airstream!

Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
OK, too many good comments in a row.

Be careful or you may get accused of "sipping the cool aid", "pom pom waving" or "cheerleading"
Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
OK, too many good comments in a row.

Be careful or you may get accused of "sipping the cool aid", "pom pom waving" or "cheerleading"
But the good comments all in a row aren't all about Interstates, despite this being the "Sprinter and B-vans" sub-forum and despite the OP specifically mentioning an Interstate Grand Tour (i.e. "GT"). So they don't count as cheerleading.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Oh Man, screwed up again
Old 07-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Old 07-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Since the Interstate is the best selling motorhome in its class, if not any class, even a hundred complaints would be a drop in the bucket, compared to total sales.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think Airstream's quality control is so bad that I bought another one.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Since the Interstate is the best selling motorhome in its class, if not any class, even a hundred complaints would be a drop in the bucket, compared to total sales.
You overestimate the total sales of Airstream Interstates. Sure, one-third of all Sprinter-based B-vans are Airstream Interstates, but Airstream's total production of everything, including trailers, was only about 2000 units for 2014. I'm not sure how many of those units were Interstates, but I'd hazard a guess that a hundred complaints on Interstates in any given year would be well up into the double-digit percentages compared to total Interstate production. Complaints on over 10% of total production is an epic fail in any QA/QC program.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote