Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Airstream quality control

In reading the threads on this subject you would think they could never sell another airstream. I see so many on the road and read here of so many repeat buyers...something doesn't connect here.

If the quality is so bad you would think Thor would know it and do something about it. And maybe they are working on it?

Maybe commenter was right when he said the folks with a good experience don't speak up. We've had our 2016 GT a couple of weeks and had a few little things (including my error a few times) but nothing has shown up yet of the magnitude described. No heavy rain yet however.

Only real problem we are having is living in such a small space. That will take getting used to.

Drives like a dream. Visibility for touring is fantastic.

If there are essentially trouble-free owners of Interstate purchased new out there, can you weigh in?
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #2

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I have haunted various user to user support forums for many years, and in fact moderate a couple of Apple computer related ones. Reading any of these forums would convince the casual reader the product is junk because all they see are problem reports. The purpose of those and this forum are troubleshooting and information gathering. Even weighing in on someone else's troubleshooting thread with, "I don't have that problem" is not only unhelpful, it is a boring waste of time, bandwidth, and disk space.

As far as my 2013 AI goes the only problems I have had have been self-inflicted. I hang around and read this forum so I don't become guilty of creating additional problems and I have picked up some good ideas from other AI owners.

While I don't like the ride in the AI's lounge, that is a function of the suspension system in the heavy duty MB Sprinter 3500 chassis and has nothing to do with quality control or Airstream for that matter. I have also picked up ideas around here for some enhancements some of which I have implemented and some of which I will implement in the future. Those are a matter of personal choice/preference and Airstream design decisions and do not reflect poor construction or quality control.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Good point. As an experienced Airstream owner you make perfect sense. For a Newby to GT like me, trying to go up the learning curve maybe I think the percentage of GT's with problems (based upon reading the forum) is much higher than it really is.

Thanks
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Don't feel bad. I have had any number of similar conversations with newbys on several different forums for different products. The very nature of help forums presents a very distorted view.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have had three new AS over the years including a brand new 2015 30' FC and so far (knock on wood) none have given us much of a problem, except of course our screw ups.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
We picked up our 2015 Sport 16 in January. Just got home from a trip where we completed our 46th night in the trailer. We have been through six very heavy rains of several hours duration each. I have been through that trailer with a magnifying glass and flashlight after each one determined to find a leak. So far no luck...dry as a bone. The AS is our fourth RV. Couldn't say the same about the previous three.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Satisfied customer

We have a 2014 Eddie Bauer 27' with about 200 nights and 10,000 miles on it so far and while we did have a couple of little things taken care of under warranty at Jackson Center, we have been very satisfied with the quality of our Airstream!

Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
OK, too many good comments in a row.

Be careful or you may get accused of "sipping the cool aid", "pom pom waving" or "cheerleading"
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
OK, too many good comments in a row.

Be careful or you may get accused of "sipping the cool aid", "pom pom waving" or "cheerleading"
But the good comments all in a row aren't all about Interstates, despite this being the "Sprinter and B-vans" sub-forum and despite the OP specifically mentioning an Interstate Grand Tour (i.e. "GT"). So they don't count as cheerleading.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Oh Man, screwed up again
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Old 07-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since the Interstate is the best selling motorhome in its class, if not any class, even a hundred complaints would be a drop in the bucket, compared to total sales.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think Airstream's quality control is so bad that I bought another one.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Since the Interstate is the best selling motorhome in its class, if not any class, even a hundred complaints would be a drop in the bucket, compared to total sales.
You overestimate the total sales of Airstream Interstates. Sure, one-third of all Sprinter-based B-vans are Airstream Interstates, but Airstream's total production of everything, including trailers, was only about 2000 units for 2014. I'm not sure how many of those units were Interstates, but I'd hazard a guess that a hundred complaints on Interstates in any given year would be well up into the double-digit percentages compared to total Interstate production. Complaints on over 10% of total production is an epic fail in any QA/QC program.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You overestimate the total sales of Airstream Interstates. Sure, one-third of all Sprinter-based B-vans are Airstream Interstates, but Airstream's total production of everything, including trailers, was only about 2000 units for 2014. I'm not sure how many of those units were Interstates, but I'd hazard a guess that a hundred complaints on Interstates in any given year would be well up into the double-digit percentages compared to total Interstate production. Complaints on over 10% of total production is an epic fail in any QA/QC program.
Over one third of all diesel class B's sold are Interstates. Of course, good luck finding verified total sales figures.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We only read on AirForums complaints from owners who happen to find their way here.

We don't really know what non-AirForums owners are experiencing, but I can't imagine that the issues laid out by owners who happen to be on these Forums are the only ones that exist.

More likely, they are representative.

Maggie
Old 07-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Over the years, I've been very vocal about the issues with my AS trailer. My point is that the price of an AS or International sets up the perception that these are top of the line RV's and one shouldn't have to tolerate the problems associated with SOB's at one third the price. In many respects, Thor/AS have marketed their products at the top of the price point but have failed to deliver products that meet the expectations they have created.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Airstream quality control

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Over one third of all diesel class B's sold are Interstates. Of course, good luck finding verified total sales figures.

The Class B Forum regularly post the sales data from RVIA. Total monthly B-van sales run between 250 to 300 units. Airstream's market share is about 25%. So Airstream is selling about 60-70 units per month.

My 2013 Interstate as been fairly trouble free. Only had one issue with connector on the Battery Isolator. Did have a warranty item when the toilet paper holder cracked. Also had a recall for the propane regulator. I look at an RV, of any kind, like a boat - it will require some repairs.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Not all class b are diesel so the above stats may be a little off, but pretty close.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Airstream pushes 3 per day out the door, ready or not.

The issue, I believe, is the expectation that the name Airstream will have the quality that one is paying for. That is not the case. It is no better than any of the mass produced Class B's on the market, and likely worse than a few.

Basically, we are paying more for the name Airstream. Not more for quality. And thus lies the disappointment after delivery and the realization hits home that you didn't get quite what you expect for that premium. It's not horrible quality, it's just not what it should be. And yes, a RV is a land based boat. Things constantly have to be repaired, checked, and fixed. That's the nature of the beast. But the things that shouldn't need fixing on delivery is what is annoying. Things that if someone simply wasn't so rushed on the line, they wouldn't connect the wrong wire for the camera, or mis-align the window gaskets, or crack all the plastic trim or vents with power drills, or fail to properly prepare the surface so the trim doesn't fall off, or fail to tighten the AC down so it leaks, or fail to seal the roof penetrations correctly, or fail to tighten the propane lines, or any number of similar things and just leave them that way for someone else to discover and fix after delivery. But that simply isn't the case.

To do so would require pushing fewer out the door. And that means less sales, and that means less profits.

It's not rocket science. It's just production trumps quality. It's obvious that Thor is not concerned with issues that relate to quality. If they were, these issues would not be repeated, over and over again.

It could be worse. Winnebago has such little faith in its quality of its products that they won't even warrant it for more than 12 months! At least Airstream has more faith in its quality than Winnebago does by giving buyers a 3 year warranty, even if that faith is not deserved. And although there are a few posts that indicate otherwise, my experience was they didn't hesitate to go out of their way to try to resolve any issue with me (although it depends on who you deal with to some degree). It's too bad that production doesn't have that same level of quality.

I'm in my forth year, and still have issues to resolve that I should not have to deal with (such as replacing all the plastic outside that is now fading).

But, I think, overall, I'm about done at this point with build issues.

I hope.