Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
We spent Christmas and New Years down in Mesa AZ where it rained pretty steady for days. Had water pouring out of the overhead light in the closet next to the fridge on our 2015 bunk. It is so disheartening to constantly deal with various quality issues on a very expensive trailer. This is our second and the last. I am so done!!
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
My 2015FC25RB is back at the dealer for the 4th time for the same leak. Not to mention the damage they caused each time they have tried to repair the leak! each time there is more and more damage.... Not very happy. The last time they somehow damaged the HDMI cable between the BR player and the TV !
Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Isn't your dealer using pressure testing equipment to find the leak?

Kelvin
Old 02-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #164
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Have to agree. First element of QC that AS needs to achieve is a leak tight shell. That would be an improvement. Since we all expect that performance it would not be a change so WB would be happy.

Have to disagree with the thought that Quality costs money. There is nothing more expensive than rework. Doing the work correctly is the least expensive approach to manufacturing. However, what many of us want is really specification change as opposed to quality. The upgrade of components that are insignificant in cost relative to the purchase price of an AS would make a real difference in our cost of ownership and satisfaction. A multistage electrical converter/charger appears to cost less than $200. A better tire solution would likely be less than $500. Drawer and door catches which hold them closed might be another $200. Balancing the hubs and brake drums would be less than half the cost of Centramatics. But then what would we have to complain about and take up our time fixing. It's a good thing that shinny shell puts a smile on our face. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Isn't your dealer using pressure testing equipment to find the leak?

Kelvin
Not as far as I am aware. The trailer is with them now and I will be asking about this. I really do not want it back until it is fixed!!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As soon as the customers check clears the bank after purchasing the new "vehicle" they forget about that customer. To increase profits, they hire untrained labor which is paid minimum wage. They are learning on a customer's trailer. The work ethic is best summarized by doing a half baked job and the heck with a happy customer.

We had an unmitigated disaster with our first Airstream, a 2013 25FB International Serenity, and a local dealership trying to do a simple cabinet job. The unit was returned with grease all over the flooring.

When the 2014 Classic came in to the dealership, I watched their crew blow the pin striping off the side of the trailer when washing it. That was the final straw.

A stove top part failed and they could not even order a replacement stove part. I fabricated a temporary repair solution which is still in use. No one ever called to say the part had come in.

I have taken both the Classic and the 23D to an independent shop to get repairs done correctly that should have been paid for by the factory. That same shop has done all the custom work on both units as well.

With my less than stellar experience now with two different dealerships, I do not trust any "dealer" to touch either unit.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
And yet you keep buying A$. Why? Is it the "3rd times a charm" thing?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #168
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Too many defects

I don't want to sound discouraging but I don't believe you will get all of those defects fixed in a timely way. Too many, too diverse and some probably beyond ability of dealer to fix.

I would demand new vehicle PROPERLY INSPECTED. If they refuse get a lawyer.

Sadly you have a true nightmare on your hands. I'm so sorry.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #169
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 2013 25FB International Serenity was made in June of 2012 when production was about 25 units per week. There were no QC issues discovered in the time we owned it. All the issues were dealer created.

I was at the factory every day in early January 2014 when the 2014 Classic was on the line (when production was at 41 units per week). It was chaos with folks bumping into one another and a time keeper with stop watch in place. Fortunately I was there and pointed out the installed wrong flooring and bath sink backsplash issues that were approved on my copy of the change order. I took photos and sent emails and even personally pointed out to the QC supervisor issues on the trailer while on the line. Those were simple issues that were not fixed before it left the factory. Many more issues happened in transit.

The 2015 23D was built in September 2015 with production ramped up to over 50 units per week. Obvious issues like no "AIRSTREAM" name on the back of the trailer and a wad of protective plastic film still attached to an inner skin wall beside the mattress should've been addressed at the factory. Neither of these were corrected by the dealership during their supposed PDI. We had a separated wall by the shower and other fit and finish issues. Even the toilet was incorrectly installed.

So, we have corrected all the issues discovered to date with a third party who is also authorized to do Airstream warranty work. They have also done all the extensive modifications to both units.

We have them about the way we want them with a few more tweaks this spring to finish both units. Then it will be the ongoing maintenance.

We still love our Airstreams design, but it should not cost the customer both time and money to get the unit to the condition it should have been in when on the dealer's lot ready for sale.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #170
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We don't use the word Airstream and Quality in the same breath. While we enjoy our Airstream Interstate it will be our last Thor Industries product.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
If I was looking for alternatives (which I am not, presently) I would strongly consider an ArticFox travel trailer. At about 1/3 the price of our 30' Serenity, I certainly could overlook some design touches and minor fit & finish issues. And a wonderful floorplan with slide-outs and recliners is a standard offering... We LOVE our recliners!

We were apparently quite fortunate with our 2016 Serenity. The build quality, workmanship, and reliability has been truly excellent. We're very happy with it and plan to have it for quite some time to come.

Not all Airstreams are factory horror nightmares.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #172
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My wife and I are considering a travel trailer, and have settled on Airstream for their quality. This thread in interesting.

It seems every brand has lemons. But in our observation, Airstreams are just built better than the competition. I have not yet decided if they are worth 3X as much. I mean, if I can buy three trailers for the price of one Airstream, that makes your wonder. But from what I've seen, they seem built better.

Decisions, decisions....
Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #173
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
A few years back AS did recall of suburban furnaces because of deaths by faulty units. These recalls were made to first owner of AS registered when pur. new, buyer received plastic credit card style of ownership that I still have as I still own. My 76 AS was part of recall but I was not notified. I pur myself when started to get fumes and [co2] in trailer. Years later when former AS factory worker moved next door I was told about recall. Need less to say I would never buy another AS. The 76 was my 6th AS and the last. 2 of these were least of prob. so 2 out of 6 is not very good. With my 76 there many issues with it that I fixed. This before beatrix and thor pur. and further downgraded QC and poor designing. In 79 I went to JC to have rear corner damage repaired and when reinstalling tail light assy. they used steel sheet metal screws that are now badly rusted, and dif. lens and reflectors. I found same reflctors at local farm store. QC has been issue long time.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #174
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
If I was looking for alternatives (which I am not, presently) I would strongly consider an ArticFox travel trailer. At about 1/3 the price of our 30' Serenity, I certainly could overlook some design touches and minor fit & finish issues. And a wonderful floorplan with slide-outs and recliners is a standard offering... We LOVE our recliners!

We were apparently quite fortunate with our 2016 Serenity. The build quality, workmanship, and reliability has been truly excellent. We're very happy with it and plan to have it for quite some time to come.

Not all Airstreams are factory horror nightmares.
I've looked at the brochures and online photos of the Artic Fox. Their whole roof is made up of wooden trusses, with over the trusses and then a membrane. Any leak of the membrane and your wood gets wet. They use luan on their sidewalls under the fiberglass so that is subject to delamination.

I like the 25w and 25y but that means going to a 30ft trailer.

Their Nash series trailers are all wood framing.

Who knows what issues they have down the line.

Kelvin
Old 02-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I own a Nash. Yes it has a wood frame. It cost 1/4 that of an A$ of like size. I don't expect that it will be worth what an A$ may be worth in ten or fifteen years.
Over the years the quality and design of some SOB coaches has improved. Things like solid membrane roofing instead of sheet metal with seams etc. reducing the chance of leaks.
I also own a '74 Argosy 26. It is in good shape for it's age. When I read people having the same problems with the new and newer A$ that I one would expect with an old A$ product. I see nothing has changed with A$ in the last 42 years. Very few if any design improvements. You can't even polish the newer A$'s.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've looked at the brochures and online photos of the Artic Fox. Their whole roof is made up of wooden trusses, with over the trusses and then a membrane. Any leak of the membrane and your wood gets wet. They use luan on their sidewalls under the fiberglass so that is subject to delamination.

I like the 25w and 25y but that means going to a 30ft trailer.

Their Nash series trailers are all wood framing.

Who knows what issues they have down the line.

Kelvin
If I went with ArcticFox (which I would have had I not wanted to spend $100k for a trailer), it would have been this one:

http://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-32a/

Granted, these don't have the 'cool factor' of an Airstream and the materials are nowhere near as nice as Airstream uses and the retained value would drop much faster, but for $35k, you can get a LOT of very useful trailer! And, yes, you would still have "issues", as ALL RVs have, unfortunately.

We're very happy with our 2016 30' Serenity and recliners, but if the cost was an issue, I could comfortably and happily make do with an ArcticFox.... and save a huge amount in purchase price.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #177
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
A few years back AS did recall of suburban furnaces because of deaths by faulty units. These recalls were made to first owner of AS registered when pur. new, buyer received plastic credit card style of ownership that I still have as I still own. My 76 AS was part of recall but I was not notified. I pur myself when started to get fumes and [co2] in trailer. Years later when former AS factory worker moved next door I was told about recall. Need less to say I would never buy another AS. The 76 was my 6th AS and the last. 2 of these were least of prob. so 2 out of 6 is not very good. With my 76 there many issues with it that I fixed. This before beatrix and thor pur. and further downgraded QC and poor designing. In 79 I went to JC to have rear corner damage repaired and when reinstalling tail light assy. they used steel sheet metal screws that are now badly rusted, and dif. lens and reflectors. I found same reflctors at local farm store. QC has been issue long time.
That recall was for the furnace which was installed in many sob. There was great piblicity on it throuout the rv industry. Any good rv dealer would check to see if the recall was done on any trailer no matter what reason they were into service for. This was not just a AS problem it was a very serious problem throughout the rv industry.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:31 AM   #178
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
That recall was for the furnace which was installed in many sob. There was great piblicity on it throuout the rv industry. Any good rv dealer would check to see if the recall was done on any trailer no matter what reason they were into service for. This was not just a AS problem it was a very serious problem throughout the rv industry.
Yah….sort of like the NTSB recalls on Norcold refrigerators (and some Dometics)………….
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #179
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
furnace recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
At the time of recall we did not have AS dealer close and I did not go to any other dealer, according to my friend that worked in serv. at JC airstream did recall to registered owners. This was complete failure to owners. I was not aware of recall until years later, plus AS was in storage for over 10 yrs. as my job did not let me camp or use AS, so I was out of trailer loop. AS handled recall and complete failure to notify me as reg. owner regardless if trailer was stored or in use. I am unhappy w/AS as to this failure to notify of recall. We could have died as some people did with this furnace. to this date no word from JC , and my opinion to h--ll with you. Fine pr. Plus of 5 AS And 1 argosy all were pur new except 1st AS 1962 that did not have any prob.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #180
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I was notified by the furnace mfg. they used the warranty info I suspect.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote