Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
I really don't know. A new base and clear coat would likely be required. I bet it won't be cheap, either. I'm guessing in the several thousands of dollars range since they have to tape the entire van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Do you think stripping and repainting would work?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If I did mine, i was going to remove them.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Do you think stripping and repainting would work?

I don't think the body colored trim is painted. It looks more like some sort of plastic coating. I once used some acetone to remove bug stains on the front bumper covering and the finish just melted away. In the rear lower areas where I have scrapped the bottom I revealed a base of black plastic with a silver plastic covering.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:13 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
No, it is painted over a black molded plastic.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Maybe they didn't use any flex agent or used a clear coat w/o UV inhibitor in it.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The Class B Forum regularly post the sales data from RVIA. Total monthly B-van sales run between 250 to 300 units. Airstream's market share is about 25%. So Airstream is selling about 60-70 units per month. ...

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
One can also attempt to infer rudimentary production estimates from recall notices, of which there have been several. I dare not reproduce content from an attorney site, but the Ochs Law Firm quoted 552 Interstates produced during model years 2013 and 2014 as being recalled due to a propane/ fire risk. Of course, perhaps not every unit of those model years was recalled - the notice doesn't specify. But the notice as written sounds to me like a blanket recall, suggesting that Airstream was only producing about 275 units annually during those years.

In the same vein, "rv recalls blog" reported 576 Interstates recalled from the 2008-2013 model years, those being the units with the "rear sofa plan", with that recall being prompted by a potential for electrical arcing. Right now, Airstream doesn't produce any models without some kind of "rear sofa", but I don't know how many model years that trend extends back. Knowing that might permit an estimation of the total production.

Neither of those figures, however incomplete, is hinting toward a total production that approaches 60 units per month, at least not in very recent history. Maybe yes in 2015-2016 due to popularity increases? I don't know.

Common sense also tells me that there cannot be too many of these things produced every year. I live in the 4th largest city in America, a very wealthy city of 6.5 million people where tailgating is popular to the point of being cultish, and the most for sale here at any one time I would roughly, roughly estimate at perhaps less than a dozen units metro-wide??, at the peak of new-model sales year. The largest new inventory that I have physically set eyes on myself is 8 units (spread across our two Holiday World locations), but there may be additional sellers of which I am unaware.

Interstates also don't appear on the used market here. Right now PPL, which claims to be the largest consignment seller in America, lists 63 Class B and Class C units, only one of which is an Interstate (a 2013 lounge). If Airstream has 25% of the Class B new sales market, eventually I would expect it to become commensurately represented in our vigorous resale market.

Even if the Interstate is significantly less popular in southeast Texas than it is in the rest of the country, all of these things are suggesting very low production numbers.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Ok they are probably only making less than 500 per year. The sales numbers I mentioned were for last month. The b-vans you see most often are Roadtreks because they sell so many.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #36
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Ok they are probably only making less than 500 per year. The sales numbers I mentioned were for last month. The b-vans you see most often are Roadtreks because they sell so many.
In my part of the world the ones I see most often are tied between Winnebago ERA and Airstream Interstate. Roadtreks don't seem terribly popular around here, despite having a dealer in Baton Rouge.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
TO ALL FUTURE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE BUYERS...I would not recommend anyone to buy a new Airstream Interstate anytime soon. The quality of product is really really poor. I own a 2014 Airstream Interstate 3500 ext and boy are there some major problems with quality.
The issue with Airstream is that they can not keep up with the global sale demands of this product. They are cutting so many corners to get the product out quickly, But unfortunately the final product just doesn't live up to the quality standards that Airstream once had. Airstream themselves have admitted there challenges. Here's a quote from an Airstream Representative that was emailed to me..."Iím very sorry that Airstream let you down. I also understand your frustrations, and I wish your experience could have been better. As you already know Airstream is growing, and unfortunately quality can sometimes fall. These are problems that we are addressing, and will continue to address."...So my final thoughts are, If you don't mind spending $130,000.00 + or - and you don't mind having to routinely take this vehicle to your local RV Dealership or sometimes back to Jackson Center, OH Airstream Headquarters for constant quality control fixes this may be the product for you.

On a positive note. Airstream is expanding the manufacturing footprint down in Jackson Center, Ohio. This could be a positive turning point. I hope this gives them the proper tools to put airstream quality back where it belongs. I am really rooting for this American icon.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In our new 2015 Airstream trailer, the plastic protective film was not removed from an entire inner skin panel beside the mattress on the assembly line. It went through the final quality control at the factory and the dealer did a pre-delivery inspection and did not notice the wad of plastic beside the mattress as they put the cover and pillows on the bed.

The trim on the shower has a ⅜" gap for water to leak down onto the floor under the shower due to improper alignment of the two halves of shower assembly.

A metal trim piece beside the sink was cut on the wrong side of the mark for the saw kerf that was still visible leaving an edge that cut my hand.

The rubber cushions for the bathroom door latch were installed on the wrong side.

A strap to hold a cover was tightened to the point of rounding out the phillips screw and cutting the strap.

The latch to restrain the pantry worked only when stationary....

These issues reflect trying to shove, at that time in September 2014, 51 units per day out the door. Every job has a stop watch timer around to speed things up whether done properly or not.

With the nearly 50% plant floor space expansion and hiring around 200 new untrained people to push production to over 70 units per day, I expect to read a lot more about QC issues on both the Interstates and the trailers.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Does the new expansion construction include across the road at the Interstate assembly plant? I was under the impression that it only involved the travel trailer and administrative/training sections.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quality issues

IMO, while I am extremely happy with my current AS, now at more than one year old, over 10,000 miles, there is an issue at AS and I suspect the final inspection process lacks the authority to reject a trailer until an issue is corrected.

In production the cost of correction of any discovered defect with product is weighed against the gamble that it will not be detected. Airstream has somehow lost track of the customer reaction to the absolute lack of any final inspection. But, there is no real competition in my understanding, so, at present folks will continue to purchase the AS product.

We on the outside do not have an understanding of the pressures imposed on the process in JC, and there may be other production costs requiring the curtailment of inspection.

The interesting fact is that many of us enjoy to some extent doing a bit of "fixing" as long as it is minor stuff easily managed.

Hopefully, the decision making at JC will move toward what I understand is the attitude re: the Classic. This is apparently going through a more rigorous final inspection than the other production units.

Oh well....
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One would certainly hope so for north of $140,000....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I believe the Classic is moving through the production line along with everything else, same workers.

Not that this is a bad thing across the board, our 25 FC came out perfectly assembled and has been excellent in every way going on 4 years and some 24 months on the road. Not without an ongoing inspection and maintenance schedule though.

As mentioned, the Interstates are assembled in a separate facility across the street, different factory, different construction, different workers. They sell like hotcakes, is quality inconsistent or a problem for all.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote