Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #169
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
The 2013 25FB International Serenity was made in June of 2012 when production was about 25 units per week. There were no QC issues discovered in the time we owned it. All the issues were dealer created.

I was at the factory every day in early January 2014 when the 2014 Classic was on the line (when production was at 41 units per week). It was chaos with folks bumping into one another and a time keeper with stop watch in place. Fortunately I was there and pointed out the installed wrong flooring and bath sink backsplash issues that were approved on my copy of the change order. I took photos and sent emails and even personally pointed out to the QC supervisor issues on the trailer while on the line. Those were simple issues that were not fixed before it left the factory. Many more issues happened in transit.

The 2015 23D was built in September 2015 with production ramped up to over 50 units per week. Obvious issues like no "AIRSTREAM" name on the back of the trailer and a wad of protective plastic film still attached to an inner skin wall beside the mattress should've been addressed at the factory. Neither of these were corrected by the dealership during their supposed PDI. We had a separated wall by the shower and other fit and finish issues. Even the toilet was incorrectly installed.

So, we have corrected all the issues discovered to date with a third party who is also authorized to do Airstream warranty work. They have also done all the extensive modifications to both units.

We have them about the way we want them with a few more tweaks this spring to finish both units. Then it will be the ongoing maintenance.

We still love our Airstreams design, but it should not cost the customer both time and money to get the unit to the condition it should have been in when on the dealer's lot ready for sale.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #170
3 Rivet Member
 
2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 157
We don't use the word Airstream and Quality in the same breath. While we enjoy our Airstream Interstate it will be our last Thor Industries product.
__________________

__________________
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #171
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
If I was looking for alternatives (which I am not, presently) I would strongly consider an ArticFox travel trailer. At about 1/3 the price of our 30' Serenity, I certainly could overlook some design touches and minor fit & finish issues. And a wonderful floorplan with slide-outs and recliners is a standard offering... We LOVE our recliners!

We were apparently quite fortunate with our 2016 Serenity. The build quality, workmanship, and reliability has been truly excellent. We're very happy with it and plan to have it for quite some time to come.

Not all Airstreams are factory horror nightmares.
__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #172
Airstreamer in Training
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 92
My wife and I are considering a travel trailer, and have settled on Airstream for their quality. This thread in interesting.

It seems every brand has lemons. But in our observation, Airstreams are just built better than the competition. I have not yet decided if they are worth 3X as much. I mean, if I can buy three trailers for the price of one Airstream, that makes your wonder. But from what I've seen, they seem built better.

Decisions, decisions....
__________________
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30' Recliner: Base weight 6422, GVWR 8800
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle: 6.2L, 403hp, 417 ft-lb., 4x2, 3.42 axle ratio, Max Payload 1573, Max Towing 8300.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #173
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,330
Blog Entries: 1
A few years back AS did recall of suburban furnaces because of deaths by faulty units. These recalls were made to first owner of AS registered when pur. new, buyer received plastic credit card style of ownership that I still have as I still own. My 76 AS was part of recall but I was not notified. I pur myself when started to get fumes and [co2] in trailer. Years later when former AS factory worker moved next door I was told about recall. Need less to say I would never buy another AS. The 76 was my 6th AS and the last. 2 of these were least of prob. so 2 out of 6 is not very good. With my 76 there many issues with it that I fixed. This before beatrix and thor pur. and further downgraded QC and poor designing. In 79 I went to JC to have rear corner damage repaired and when reinstalling tail light assy. they used steel sheet metal screws that are now badly rusted, and dif. lens and reflectors. I found same reflctors at local farm store. QC has been issue long time.
__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #174
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
If I was looking for alternatives (which I am not, presently) I would strongly consider an ArticFox travel trailer. At about 1/3 the price of our 30' Serenity, I certainly could overlook some design touches and minor fit & finish issues. And a wonderful floorplan with slide-outs and recliners is a standard offering... We LOVE our recliners!

We were apparently quite fortunate with our 2016 Serenity. The build quality, workmanship, and reliability has been truly excellent. We're very happy with it and plan to have it for quite some time to come.

Not all Airstreams are factory horror nightmares.
I've looked at the brochures and online photos of the Artic Fox. Their whole roof is made up of wooden trusses, with over the trusses and then a membrane. Any leak of the membrane and your wood gets wet. They use luan on their sidewalls under the fiberglass so that is subject to delamination.

I like the 25w and 25y but that means going to a 30ft trailer.

Their Nash series trailers are all wood framing.

Who knows what issues they have down the line.

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #175
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
I own a Nash. Yes it has a wood frame. It cost 1/4 that of an A$ of like size. I don't expect that it will be worth what an A$ may be worth in ten or fifteen years.
Over the years the quality and design of some SOB coaches has improved. Things like solid membrane roofing instead of sheet metal with seams etc. reducing the chance of leaks.
I also own a '74 Argosy 26. It is in good shape for it's age. When I read people having the same problems with the new and newer A$ that I one would expect with an old A$ product. I see nothing has changed with A$ in the last 42 years. Very few if any design improvements. You can't even polish the newer A$'s.
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #176
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've looked at the brochures and online photos of the Artic Fox. Their whole roof is made up of wooden trusses, with over the trusses and then a membrane. Any leak of the membrane and your wood gets wet. They use luan on their sidewalls under the fiberglass so that is subject to delamination.

I like the 25w and 25y but that means going to a 30ft trailer.

Their Nash series trailers are all wood framing.

Who knows what issues they have down the line.

Kelvin
If I went with ArcticFox (which I would have had I not wanted to spend $100k for a trailer), it would have been this one:

http://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-32a/

Granted, these don't have the 'cool factor' of an Airstream and the materials are nowhere near as nice as Airstream uses and the retained value would drop much faster, but for $35k, you can get a LOT of very useful trailer! And, yes, you would still have "issues", as ALL RVs have, unfortunately.

We're very happy with our 2016 30' Serenity and recliners, but if the cost was an issue, I could comfortably and happily make do with an ArcticFox.... and save a huge amount in purchase price.
__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #177
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
A few years back AS did recall of suburban furnaces because of deaths by faulty units. These recalls were made to first owner of AS registered when pur. new, buyer received plastic credit card style of ownership that I still have as I still own. My 76 AS was part of recall but I was not notified. I pur myself when started to get fumes and [co2] in trailer. Years later when former AS factory worker moved next door I was told about recall. Need less to say I would never buy another AS. The 76 was my 6th AS and the last. 2 of these were least of prob. so 2 out of 6 is not very good. With my 76 there many issues with it that I fixed. This before beatrix and thor pur. and further downgraded QC and poor designing. In 79 I went to JC to have rear corner damage repaired and when reinstalling tail light assy. they used steel sheet metal screws that are now badly rusted, and dif. lens and reflectors. I found same reflctors at local farm store. QC has been issue long time.
That recall was for the furnace which was installed in many sob. There was great piblicity on it throuout the rv industry. Any good rv dealer would check to see if the recall was done on any trailer no matter what reason they were into service for. This was not just a AS problem it was a very serious problem throughout the rv industry.
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #178
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
That recall was for the furnace which was installed in many sob. There was great piblicity on it throuout the rv industry. Any good rv dealer would check to see if the recall was done on any trailer no matter what reason they were into service for. This was not just a AS problem it was a very serious problem throughout the rv industry.
Yah….sort of like the NTSB recalls on Norcold refrigerators (and some Dometics)………….
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #179
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,330
Blog Entries: 1
furnace recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
That recall was for the furnace which was installed in many sob. There was great piblicity on it throuout the rv industry. Any good rv dealer would check to see if the recall was done on any trailer no matter what reason they were into service for. This was not just a AS problem it was a very serious problem throughout the rv industry.
At the time of recall we did not have AS dealer close and I did not go to any other dealer, according to my friend that worked in serv. at JC airstream did recall to registered owners. This was complete failure to owners. I was not aware of recall until years later, plus AS was in storage for over 10 yrs. as my job did not let me camp or use AS, so I was out of trailer loop. AS handled recall and complete failure to notify me as reg. owner regardless if trailer was stored or in use. I am unhappy w/AS as to this failure to notify of recall. We could have died as some people did with this furnace. to this date no word from JC , and my opinion to h--ll with you. Fine pr. Plus of 5 AS And 1 argosy all were pur new except 1st AS 1962 that did not have any prob.
__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #180
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
I was notified by the furnace mfg. they used the warranty info I suspect.
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #181
2 Rivet Member
 
Rohnert Park , California
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Have to disagree with the thought that Quality costs money. There is nothing more expensive than rework.
This also applies to marketing. Airstream can (and probably does) spend tons of money on marketing—from trade shows all over the country, to slick brochures, and to their elaborate web site. These things are not cheap.

For example, there are photos that they use in marketing the Grand Tour that show it on a horse ranch. They had to rent the ranch, rent the horse(s), pay the horse trainer, pay the models, pay the costumer and make-up person, get the coach to the location, clean off every speck of dust and dirt on the coach, pay someone to arrange everything and everyone perfectly, and pay the photographer and the lighting person. They all had to wait for perfect weather and the perfect time of day—they had to pay everyone for waiting for this time, as well. They also had to pay someone for coming up with the concept. In addition, they probably have an entire staff of folks dedicated to creating and maintaining the brand image. I doubt that any of them work for minimum wage. This all adds up to big bucks.

ALL of that time and money is completely wasted when owners complain about things like leaks or sloppy assembly. On top of these problems, the company's reported responses (or lack thereof) just add insult to injury. A typical consumer will put more faith in an amateur YouTube video from a dissatisfied owner than 100 slick horse ranch photos.

Quality is cheaper than wasted marketing.
__________________
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #182
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
This also applies to marketing. Airstream can (and probably does) spend tons of money on marketing—from trade shows all over the country, to slick brochures, and to their elaborate web site. These things are not cheap.
It's also obvious that the people that do the set dressing for these photo shoots have never actually used an Interstate. The most telling evidence is the way they make up the sofa/lounge into a bed, with the sheets and pillows laid out for sleeping side-to-side instead of front-to-back. Sleeping with with your feet on the curb side and your head on the street side is not possible if you're over five-foot-nothing, but in my first three years of ownership, every advertising photo I saw had the bed made up that way.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airstream Quality Control Pat Cassity Buyer Guidelines 3 12-24-2014 11:50 AM
Airstream Quality Control Pepsi Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 98 03-05-2010 09:02 AM
No Quality Control/very unhappy imagine Our Community 29 05-19-2005 04:56 PM
Quality Control Issue B&J 2002 - 2005 International 28 02-22-2005 07:13 PM
Airstream Quality Control in 1985 Fallman 1984 - 1989 Sovereign 11 01-24-2005 06:46 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.