Old 08-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #141
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Items photographed and emailed to the chap in charge of final Airstream QC on the shop floor did not result in any rectification before the trailer left the factory in January 2014. The issues were pointed out by others in the tour group!
Hopefully the photographs will at least make it easier to get warranty repairs done.

As the saying goes, "There's never enough time to do it right before the sale, but always enough time to do it over after the sale."

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was only allowed on the shop floor along with the tours for the two weeks I was there.

I had no confidence that the approved change order options would happen correctly and was correct in that assumption as the wrong flooring was installed and no aluminum backsplash was in the bathroom above the sink. They had to take out the shower, a wall and bathroom cabinetry to remedy the situation after I showed them my copy of the approved change order.

I got "detached" one day and happened to photo the installation of the kitchen cabinet with the ducts crossed coming out of the furnace. Our trail run trip had no air coming out of the rear ducts, so I told the dealership where the problem was.

A snide remark at the dealership along the lines of "how do you know where the problem is?" resulting in me showing them the photo. That shut off all future snide remarks and is also why they have not seen the trailer since.

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #143
2 Rivet Member
Rohnert Park , California
Dear Airstream,

A long time ago, I worked in a customer service department that was run by an accountant. Unlike most accountants in management, he focused on long term costs in determining policies. If going out of our way to help a customer caused someone to rave about us to five of their friends, we might get a couple of new customers. That was a LOT cheaper than getting new customers via a million dollar ad campaign. People would logically trust a friend's recommendation over a catchy slogan. Even when we as a company had blown it badly, because we went out of our way to make things right, we almost always gained new customers. We also reported the most frequent issues to engineering, who saw fixing problems as a way to cut customer service costs, which increased our profit sharing while delighting customers. Happy customers led to increased market share. That company quickly became incredibly profitable. Good customer service led to higher profits.

On the recommended reading list for new employees was an essay, "You are the Customer, You are the Company." It's pretty simple:

A. When a customer is upset and contacts you, you have to be that person and feel their upset. You should do whatever you can to make things right, including all of the things that they would do to fix things if they worked at the company. You also have to be the customer when you design and build things. Customers just want things that work and work well. In the long run, it's cheaper to design things that way. Fixing things after the fact is always much more expensive and can lose customers. Refusing to fix a tiny leak can negate thousands of dollars in marketing.

B. You are the company when you answer the phone or have contact with a customer. A customer doesn't know or care which department is responsible. A customer doesn't know or care about press releases or "vision statements" made to stockholders. Those things don't and shouldn't matter to them. Think about the times that you've called a company and have reached someone who was determined to figure out who you should deal with. Then think about the times that you've called and have gotten, "It's not my job." Whoever you dealt with formed your opinion of the entire company, again negating the efforts of marketing and just about every other employee.

The entire essay is online: (

We all want Airstream to thrive. Lots of companies have bitten the dust by thinking that cheapening everything and ignoring complaints leads to higher profits. It doesn't. Please don't follow their lead. Happy customers lead to higher profits. There really isn't any other way.

SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #144
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Awesome Larry!!!!

Thanks for posting this very important piece.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #145
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A very good piece.

Why is it that Airstream just ignores this very basic, common sense, philosophy?

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #146
2 Rivet Member
Rohnert Park , California
One more thing: Whenever I encounter a rude or uncaring employee, I always ask them, "What part of your paycheck does NOT come from customers?" It always stuns them.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:52 AM   #147
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
Awesome job! It gives me comfort that I'm not the only airstream customer that has been ripped off with terrible customer service and quality control. I really hope any potential airstream buyer reviews these testimonies first before spending their savings on a flawed design and customer service care... I don't like having to say that, But I don't want someone else to have to go through what I had to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Interstate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:46 AM   #148
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I've been in sales and sales leadership most of my career. My philosophy is simple:

"No them, No Us" take care of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Years ago, I had an aircraft which had an internal stress issue and a certain area of the skin broke and fell off the airframe many times requiring a replacement of that area. The dealer and regional folks said they would no longer fix the skin issue. The underlying problem was not addressed.

I made a "friendly" call to the Chairman of the Board of the company and explained the situation including that copies of all the service orders were on file with my attorney in case there were a crash. No threats, just the facts. I also mentioned our family's personal and business aircraft purchase history dating back several decades.

There was a much different tune the next morning from the same dealer and the region folks. They could not wait to get cracking on solving the problem.

I relay this story because the folks at the top of that manufacturer took positive action to fix an issue. I have yet to see similar top down impetus to correct the issues at Airstream and the top levels are bombarded with complaints from their customers.

I could justify incremental price increases if the quality coming out the door was better instead of what I have experienced along with many others. The excuse that QC is an issue in the industry shows a total lack of understanding the article posted above. If Airstream is supposed to be a premium product, then they should be setting the gold quality control standard for the industry, not seeing what they can get away with.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #150
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Each of us who have been disappointed in AS quality can do what I did. Sell and not buy another new one. Lots of used AS and vintage kin out there. Sold my last one and bought a used Avion, put some money into it. No payments on an AS or anything else. Happy, happy.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 AM   #151
2 Rivet Member
central , Texas
D Greene,

Were your previous 3 RVs AS or of a different brand?We are looking at buying a FC but have noticed a lot of people talking about leaks in their brand new trailers, so we're attempting additional research.
CanonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #152
3 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
We were of course avid backpackers first then as we got older bought a used slide in pop up truck camper. We used this extensively for a year and then bought a new rig of the same type. Next we bought a molded fiberglass trailer, a 15 ft. Trillium. We enjoyed this but it did not have a bathroom. We wanted to stay small so next was the AS Sport 16. We have had far fewer problems with the AS but it is not perfect. Main issue was a small leak around the front window. I think it was there from the beginning but we park it under cover so took some time to notice it. After two attempts at the dealer under warranty it seems to be fixed. Everything else has worked perfectly. Like all RVs, keeping it water tight seems to be the big issue. Still not convinced that AS is worth the high cost compared to some of the other innovative designs out there. But it is easy on the eyes, gives us a comfortable place to sit and sleep, heating and air, kitchen to make coffee, hot and cold running water, enough storage, a bathroom and is light weight. We are very happy with it so far and spent 115 nights in it in 2015. Good luck with your decision.
"Certainty on any matter is not one of the human attitudes the Gods admire or tolerate."
A. Cross
D Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #153
New Smyra , Florida
We love the tech people at airstream were new to rvs they really help us with our Interstate.
susanstam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #154
3 Rivet Member
2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I would suspect that if other manufacturers had forums, the number of problems of their units would be much higher. As a newly (to airstream) obviously the quality issue is important. In my many years it has not been my concern when I find a problem, but how willing those responsible are to take care of the problem. The one thing about travel trailers is that there is not always a dealer close like with an automobile, so getting the unit back to the dealer for repair is a hassle. I think Airstream probably makes the most quality product of its type. At least that is what I told my wife when I wanted to spend so much more money than we have ever spent on a trailer.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote