Old 10-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixdutch View Post
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons between the Airstream Interstate and a Roadtrek. Both are great looking B's, however, how can one not fall for the Airstream. However, I have heard the Roadtrek makes more efficient use of space. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I found this thread valuable and coming from some one who for business tugs a 28 safari nationwide. I have intense interest in Road trek, sportsmobile and Airstream class b, and find that living in my 28 Safari is unbeatable, yet I need a vehicle that my wife will drive. I would say at least 5-10 weeks/year I need to cover 2k miles within 2 days. A class b is on the radar. 3 months of the year we live in the 28 on the road. 8 months of the year we sit home all in the summer with no usage of the trailer. We have left 28 in 4 states over the past 3 years and find that this no problem and a real advantage of a trailer. So, it appears a class b that can tow a 28 is our next vehicle of choice. Most of our travel includes cold weather and 4x4 is a must, and it must be able to tow nationwide in all conditions. So far, a sportsmobile v10 Ford or diesel 4x4 is on the shortlist. Roadtrek is a leader in quality and great resale. Thanks for the info and keeping the seating to a minimum.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
At the Hershey show we looked at all the Sprinter Conversions, (Roadtrek, Pleasure Way, Leisure Travel, Winnebago ERA), and somehow missed the Interstate.
Was there even an Airstream dealer there? According to the website, no Airstream dealers were signed up to be there, so I didn't go to the show at all.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
The only thing I would say is that I think Roadtrek pretty much wrote the book on van conversions and so probably have more experience.

But then, there may be some layout features of the Airstream that you prefer.

Before we bought our present AS trailer, I was interested in buying the Large Roadtrek (same Sprinter chassis as the AS) They are built just an hour from our home.

But my wife insisted that even though our trips are typically only 6-8 weeks, it would be far too small for us.

After a while I reluctantly agreed she was right, and I guess I don't regret it! I still like them though!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Was there even an Airstream dealer there? According to the website, no Airstream dealers were signed up to be there, so I didn't go to the show at all.
I guess that's why we missed it, but only having seen the previous generation Interstate, I wasn't interested and wanted the 4 captains chairs up front.

The 2008+ AS is essentially a copy of the RS but IMHO the AS has a better bath, better seat cushions/leather, better lighting, and nicer cabinets & hardware. The one thing the Sprinter chassis, in general, gives up over the Chevy is exterior storage. Our RT 200V had storage for an EZ-Up Canopy, 2 folding bikes, 4 folding camp chairs & table and other miscellaneous stuff. But I am thinking of an enclosed hitch-haul.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
Our RT 200V had storage for an EZ-Up Canopy, 2 folding bikes, 4 folding camp chairs & table and other miscellaneous stuff. But I am thinking of an enclosed hitch-haul.
Wow. My B190 definitely doesn't have that. In fact it doesn't really have any exterior storage... the only exception is that if you didn't get the generator option, you can use its box as a storage compartment.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #20
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Wow. My B190 definitely doesn't have that. In fact it doesn't really have any exterior storage... the only exception is that if you didn't get the generator option, you can use its box as a storage compartment.
I have been known to tow my aluminum utility trailer with boxes on it for carrying 'bikes, tools, and stuff' behind my B-van!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Quote:
It turns out after doing a 7.5K cross country trip this summer, (in the RT that has the 2.8KW Onan), we used the canopy, chairs, & table once and didn't use the bikes, (we're big hikers), or any of our extra camping equipment. I think we'll still take the bikes but we'll definitely travel lighter next year. Even if you take the spare and mount it on the back, the space gained is not convenient.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
I am a brand new owner as of yesterday. I compared the RoadTrek RS Adventurous and Interstate Extended. They are both great and you probably can't go wrong with either. In the end, the extra two feet was important for storage in the Interstate EXT. I am pulling out the second row of seats and putting in some custom dog crates that I personally make that slope to match the range of the driver's seat. They will be stackable so that I can maximize the space and allow for enough space to walk by to get to the back of the cabin. Unless you need to utilize the second row and extra storage, you can't go wrong with either. In the end, RoadTreks were hard to find in the Virginia area, and I got a better deal on the 2014 Interstate Extended.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #23
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Roadtrek vs Airstream Interstate

Airstream was at Hershey. But we were there looking at Itasca Navion and Roadtrek CS Adventerous. Did not look into the Airstream Interstate as their ads online look and appear like a fancy, nice big station wagon. No pictures show anything to do with camping. Decided agains the Navion and so off to Colonial Roadtrek & Airstream dealer in Lakewood NJ. We were all set to buy the Roadtrek CS. I emailed many times to the factory asking all kinds of questions about their new e-Trek options, extra batteries, solar panels, all electric, dual generators, etc. I was really thinking of going partial e-Trek with the CS Adventerous with the propane hot water heating system. Had lots of questions for the factory rep at Hershey. Even got into an argument with him. Seems he did not believe that I had an email from the company that RT is buying their inverters from saying that the inverters are not yet UL approved and the company hoped they would be in 2014. The factory rep argued that I should not believe everything I read on the internet. He was not listening. I told him I had an email directly from the inverter company. So it got a bit heated. BUt I continued to decide to go forward with RT. Surely all their employes cannot be as bull-headed as he was.

Ended up the other week at Colonial. Spent time in Roadtrek CS and while describing our most recent motorhome we just sold and our likes and dislikes, salesman Pat asked if we had looked at the Airstream Interstate, which we had not. He described it and its construction, etc. We switched from looking and touching the RT over to learning about the Airstream. WOW!!! What a difference in fit and finish and quality with the Airtsream. 2 days later we bought it. Its the long extended body which give us more room in the back. It only has 3 seats up front and I'm already thinking of taking the back one out and installing more cabinet. It has an extra half height wardrobe on the passenger side and a long full length wardrobe on the driver side. Brought it home today. Loaded most everything we hope to need and are taking a short camping trip on Saturday.

Interesting to learn that Airstream does not expect people to "camp" in the Interstate. But that's our plan.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
I have owned both a Roadtrek Adventurous and currently own a 2011 Interstate.
There is a comparison of these two models on the Interstate Yahoo group.

My take:

1. Fit and finish is superior in the Roadtrek.
2. Roadtrek uses less expensive options such as cheaper tank gauge controls, water heater, no solar option, a cheaper inveter charger, uses a more basic Sprinter model, less expensive radio/Nav unit, and routes the plumbing under the van where it is exposed making it a fair weather motor home and subject to damage.
3. Ergonomics is better in the Roadtrek, particularly the shower.
4. The Interstate has more luxurious interior, but it is only skin deep.
5. The interstate has a raised insulated floor and an insulated ceiling covered in an aluminum panel. Roadtrek has a soft vinyl ceiling material and no insulation on the floor at all.

Having owned both, I wouldn't buy another Interstate. Too many issues relating to poor build quality. I am not saying I would buy a Roadtrek, either.

G

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixdutch View Post
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons between the Airstream Interstate and a Roadtrek. Both are great looking B's, however, how can one not fall for the Airstream. However, I have heard the Roadtrek makes more efficient use of space. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Camping in an Interstate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
... Interesting to learn that Airstream does not expect people to "camp" in the Interstate. But that's our plan.
Don't know where you get the idea that Airstream doesn't expect people to camp in their Interstates. Section D of the Owner's manual is titled CAMPING. That said I don't think Airstream designed the Interstate to optimize it for camping. It is a compromise vehicle as are most B-vans that provide lots of passenger seating.

I think Roadtrek is on the right track with more solar. Given the drop in price of solar there is no reason that the Interstate should not come with at least 200 watts of solar. The 50 watt panel provided is a joke.

I recently got a chuckle out of a couple of items in the 12V Electrical section of the Interstate owner's manual:

"The only thing you have to do is make sure the house battery does not run down. In normal usage, there isnít any problem, since you would normally be plugged into a 110 volt shoreline at night or when camping. ... If you are not plugged into city power, and you plan on staying longer than a day or two, youíll want to conserve your battery by using as few lights and appliances as possible."

Enjoy
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Interesting to learn that Airstream does not expect people to "camp" in the Interstate. But that's our plan.
Interstates get used for a lot of things. Limousines. Mobile offices. Transporting school kids to intramural sporting events. Tailgating at pro sporting events. And yes, even camping.

The pictures in the brochure do not reflect any kind of "intended" use as executive limousines or whatever. Maybe future editions of the brochure will also show an Interstate set up in a campground.

But in any event, I'm glad the brochure did show the Interstate in upscale settings. When I was considering buying one, and asked my landlady if I could park my future purchase at the apartment complex, those upscale settings in the pictures helped convince her that my RV wasn't going to be bringing down the tone of the place.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #27
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
You make comment about the Section D in the owners manual. That implies that one has already purchased it. I said we were "looking" and never gave it a thought since the web online doesn't refer to "camping" use. And yes, why do they even bother with a 50 watt solar panel? Mine will be changed soon to a larger panel.

As for a comprise vehicle, yes it is as are all Class B units. They are a compromise only Airstream upscales the compromise.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Leisure Travel Van

We went to the LA RV show in Pomona yesterday and saw a Leisure Travel Van with a slide out that was awesome......I know it is not an Airstream but if we were in the market for a B Van, we would seriously look at this one.....It is called the Unity. "German engineered for quality and impressive fuel economy, the Mercedes Benz 3500 Sprinter Chassis is a perfect fit for the Euro styled Unity. Complete with a 3.0L V6 BlueTEC diesel engine, you're guaranteed a smooth and powerful ride. GVWR: 11,030. " Think they are asking $130,000....and you have to order for March delivery. Maybe we could make the case that Thor is the manufacturer so we can stay in the club. Don't think so.....but it was roomy like our 82 24' Airstream MH...just new....paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote