Old 02-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
True luxury has nothing to do with over-engineering for the sake of showing off, or non-value-added bling.
In my book, "luxury" consists going beyond subsistence, even going beyond creature comforts, to have expensive things you don't need purely as the human form of plumage, to show off that the owner is better than the hoi polloi (and to be able to use words like hoi polloi to define those of lower status…).

A five-course dinner at Commander's Palace instead of meat and potatoes at Shoney's. Silk sheets instead of cotton. Chanel instead of Avon. Dino de Laurentis instead of Levi Strauss. Neiman Marcus instead of Walmart. Indulgence and conspicuous consumption define luxury for me.

My 2012 Interstate lacks a lot of the luxury of the newer models. My awning doesn't auto-retract when the wind picks up, for example. But in the big picture, every motorhome is a luxury. No one needs a motorhome just to survive. No one needs a motorhome in order to prosper. Owning a motorhome implies that you have the free time to use a motorhome, which sets us apart from people who have to work like stink just to put food on the table and are in debt up to their eyeballs just to own a crappy sedan for commuting back and forth to work.

But that's all beside the point. "Luxury" is not synonymous with "quality." A thing can be luxurious without being good, and many things are. Bentley and Porsche are considered luxury automobiles, but they are two of the top three most breakdown-prone cars on the road today according to Warranty Direct.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
Rohnert Park , California
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Here's one of the OEM screws that we pulled out of our roof in April 2015, specifically from the Fantastic. Can anyone point out any sense of "luxury" associated with the likes of this?
Seeing the photo of that screw permanently undid any warm and fuzzy feelings of luxury that I've gotten from Airstream advertising. Any company that doesn't think that using the proper type screw is important has a screw loose.

SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:57 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
Moon , Moon
Although I love my bus, I undoubtedly agree on the existence of some quirks of Interstate craftsmanship.

Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote