Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Anacortes , Washington
Airstream Interstate sink faucet parts

I have a 2007 Interstate which came with Dometic SMEV Model VA 736 sink.
This has a round black glass top which raises up to reveal the stainless steel sink with fold down faucet. You swing up the faucet and this has a moveable goose neck through which the water flows when you operate the tap.
The goose neck part fits into the faucet body and is held there by a threaded ring. You can easily remove the goose neck if needed by unscrewing the threaded ring which is of chrome plated plastic construction.

This ring pretty well disintegrated on our sink -- it ended up in five pieces. I need to replace this and have not been able to find any place who sells these. Many RV parts departments do have a sinilar chrome plated threaded plastic ring so we bought one but found the threads don't match up -- Guess since this sink is made in Italy they have metric threads. Anyway the piece we got from Camping World does not fit and so far have been unsuccessful finding the right part.

Has anyone out there had the same problem and where can I find the correct replacement part? Any and all comments welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Bob
Interstate20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Might try here: Dometic WAECO International - SMEV Mobile kitchen solutions for caravans & motorhomes
Old 06-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Have tried an Airstream dealer that services Interstates?
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Good luck. Our 2014/13 is basically the same sink. It leaked at the gooseneck where the plastic ring you speak of is. Could not get parts and all it needed was a new washer, which I could have gotten myself. But my dealer was a sent a whole new spigot assembly from AI and all it needed was the gasket. Last I looked the whole spigot was available from a RV company in Wash. state, that deals with the Canadian distributor and the cost was over $200. AI did not want the old one back either. So some other lucky soul got it as spare parts.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Anacortes , Washington
Looking for sink tap parts

Here's an update about my quest to get a replacement threaded ring holding the sunk gooseneck in place.
Thanks for the suggestions -- Mr. Protag I did contact the place you kindly mentioned -- it is a dealer in Germany and I got a prompt reply but sadly all they suggested was to go out and buy a whole new faucet. I had earlier emailed another Dometic dealer this time in the UK and basically got the same reply. It is beginning to look like no-one sells just minor sink parts. I did contact our local dealer but they were not much help.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Perhaps try a Menard's, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc., which carry bits and pieces of all sizes.

This gasket may likely be a standard size, placed in this specialized part.

If those fail, I would suggest a plumbing supply place. We found water heater plugs in one of these, and picked up a couple as they are hard to find.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Perhaps try a Menard's, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc., which carry bits and pieces of all sizes.

This gasket may likely be a standard size, placed in this specialized part.

If those fail, I would suggest a plumbing supply place. We found water heater plugs in one of these, and picked up a couple as they are hard to find.

Maggie
This is good advice.
I took a look at the SMEV catalog and the sink is sold without the faucets. They sell the faucet set as an added option. This is probably why neither Dometic or Airstream have replacement part for faucets. We'll need to determine the faucet manufacturer or try a plumbing supply place.

It also looks like a marine supply place might help as these faucets are more of a marine item than an RV item. This one is close:
Whale Faucet Compact Single Chrome - Star Marine Depot
Old 06-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
This is good advice.
I took a look at the SMEV catalog and the sink is sold without the faucets. They sell the faucet set as an added option. This is probably why neither Dometic or Airstream have replacement part for faucets. We'll need to determine the faucet manufacturer or try a plumbing supply place.

It also looks like a marine supply place might help as these faucets are more of a marine item than an RV item. This one is close:
Whale Faucet Compact Single Chrome - Star Marine Depot
Of course. I hadn't thought of a marine supply place. They are a good source for lots of items for small RV's.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I have found the most obtuse plumbing and electrical parts at Grainger's. Their catalogue is about 5" thick and my bet is what you want is in there.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
I just took a close look at my faucet. It has a very faint label on the on/off tap: "ARGO". Searching on the internet I found a single reference to a company in Italy, but absolutely nothing else.
I believe the faucet is packaged with the sink, and the sink is made by SMEV, which is part of the Dometic group. I think you should follow it up with Dometic.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I just took a close look at my faucet. It has a very faint label on the on/off tap: "ARGO". Searching on the internet I found a single reference to a company in Italy, but absolutely nothing else.
I believe the faucet is packaged with the sink, and the sink is made by SMEV, which is part of the Dometic group. I think you should follow it up with Dometic.
Not surprised it would be an Italian item like the side step. Here is the Argo faucet web site in English, but they don't have much infor there other than that they make faucets for RV (caravan) and boat manufacturers.

benvenuti su Rubinetterie ARGO
Old 06-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Seriously, think simple rather than complex, standard rather than specialized.

I'd bet money this gasket can be replaced thru a Menard's, etc. or plumbing supply place.

Maggie
Old 06-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #13
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I think if you reread the original post it was not a "gasket" that disintegrated. It was the chrome plated plastic nut that secures the gooseneck to the faucet base. And that would be metric thread and/or a specially made part. yes, try Grainger, but doubtful. A new complete faucet is available from some company in Seattle for like $200 or so. Mine was just the gasket which was easily replaceable.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're right, Bill, my error in terminology.

I would still recommend a more rudimentary search, first, especially before replacing the unit for want of a small part.

It may be available, or someone in these stores could help locate a source.

Maggie
Old 07-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Anacortes , Washington
So here is how this problem got fixed. After contacting Airstream (no help) Dometic ( no help either) the Italian sink and faucet provider ( all they could suggest was to buy a whole new sink and faucet) -- checking all the sources you all kindly suggested -- sadly with no good answers we resorted to old fashioned ingenuity.

We had bought a chrome plated plastic ring (for all of $2.50) sold for the "generic RV sink market" at our local RV repair place. It was about the right diameter but did not have metric threads so it only screwed on a little bit before it jammed up.
We found that by adding just a standard garden hose rubber gasket to this plastic ring to fill in the space so it grabs the goose neck o ring it tightened enough to properly seat the goose neck and hold it firmly in place so it functions just like a new one! One day it will surely fail again even though we will handle it with kid gloves -- but not to worry -- we already have a replacement ring bought from our local Camping World (for $2.50) ready to use when this happens!, not an elegant solution but who cares --- it looks OK and it works!

Thanks to all for your kind suggestions.

Bob
Old 07-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
I have had nothing but negative experiences with Camping World.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like the perfect solution, Bob.

Good for you!

Maggie
Old 07-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Great fix idea! Thanks for sharing the solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Thanks for recapping how you solved it, as the exact same thing just happened on my 2014.5 Interstate!
sukismith64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #20

2008 16' Safari
embrun , Ontario
Just had this issue with my Bambi 2008. I replace the spout ring with a garden hose brass adapter. I had a soaker hose that was not used anymore and cut the female end of it. Clean the brass and it fit perfectly over the spout and screwed tight in the tap thread. will see how long this will last
konatourer is offline   Reply With Quote