Old 07-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
That is what we're going to try with the next one, yes. I was vaguely aware of this kind of thing but I had previously assumed it only happened with the cheapest of metals. Apparently not.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
So was the nut a different mat'l than the U-bolt?

I'm still trying to figure out what it does.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The thread that failed had some minor blemishes on it. Nothing crazy but there was enough added friction when putting the nut on that I remembered it a week later. I didn't see any obvious quality issues when I opened the package so I'm not blaming the vendor. But I'm suspecting that any coating or lubricants were worn off by this increased friction.

I would have expected it to seize right under the lock washer when it was under it's highest load but it wasn't until it had backed off several more threads that it seized up. I'm just going to chalk it up as a random failure and either grease the next one or put a copper anti-seize compound on it.

As for how it works, the ubolt goes over the top of the hitch shank and the plate straddles the shank and the receiver. When you tighten the ubolt it pulls the shank down against the bottom of the receiver which prevents the shank from rocking inside the receiver.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what it does.
Concurrent with your question, I got an off-Forum question about departure angle and how might a contraption like ours impact an EXT?

So I put both clarifications on one diagram. The inset shows the position of the hitch tightener, which basically keeps the whole contraption from slightly rocking back and forth due to the play in the fit between shank and receiver. It's a good addition - when I step on it, I don't want to feel it go CLUNK! That seems so gauche in an otherwise-elegant design.

The question about departure angle was a good one. When we were mocking this thing up in half-made form, my knee jerk reaction to LB_3's initial frame design was, "Nope - raise it up!" because if it were set at the original level of the hitch step (which was our first idea), it might have impacted departure angle, especially if there were a non-planar surface involved (which describes pretty much every travel surface in my home province of Nova Scotia).

So we vaulted it slightly so that its upper surface sits just below the top of bumper. It's also not as wide as most commercial carriers, so that also minimizes potential impacts on departure angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160712_ANGLE_CARRIER2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	266569  
Old 07-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #89
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
You don't need dissimilar metals for galling to occur. In fact, you don't even need metals— you can gall plastics, too. Galling is different from galvanic corrosion.

Galling is accidental friction welding (which should actually be called friction forging), a technique that— when done on purpose— has been recognized by the American Welding Society since the 1950s.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You don't need dissimilar metals for galling to occur. In fact, you don't even need metals— you can gall plastics, too. Galling is different from galvanic corrosion.

Galling is accidental friction welding (which should actually be called friction forging), a technique that— when done on purpose— has been recognized by the American Welding Society since the 1950s.

Right on Protag! In my my case I fused the stainless steel (SS) nut to the threads on a 1/2" SS bolt that is part of my DIY hitch carrier. The torque on this connection was enough to fuse the nut and bolt together and I quickly twisted that 1/2" SS bolt. Now I use anti-seize compound for such connections.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
This older thread originated because the OP was looking for a place to store a dog pen in, or on, an Interstate.

I found this pic on Instagram last night and thought I'd re-post it FYI. Yet another new take on a storage challenge. I do agree with the Instagrammer that custom is often the best way to go with these things. That way the device fits the owner's needs exactly.