Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
This is a fascinating thread and I am very happy it has been started. We love our Chummy but realize it does have its age and someday we will want to replace it and since the motor home selection from Airstream is slim these days this is interesting. I love to see how you guys are already improving and changing the way it's built, that is true Airstreaming.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Irvine , California
Your Interstate experience

WillDee,
The problems you reported with your Interstate in April were shocking to me. It sounds like Airstream is not doing any quality control testing on the units--simply sticking components together and hoping they work.

Can you comment on your experience with problems and with actually using the van since April? Thanks, KKraemer (potential buyer)

Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Cave Creek , Arizona
Happy with new Interstate

We purchased a 2006 Interstate about six months ago and have put about 12,000 miles on it. Initial impression was that suspension was rather soft, so took it to Upscale Automotive for suspension upgrades and now it handles excellent. Also had tuning module and high flow air filter installed. Road weight is 8350# and we get between 21 and 25 mpg depending on terrain, wind and if we are running the AC (we live in Arizona).

AZtraveler
Old 10-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #18

2005 22' Interstate
denton , Texas
seats

has anyone installed a swivel mechanism on the airstream seats?
Old 10-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #19

2005 22' Interstate
denton , Texas
just purchased an interstate. would like to make the front seats swivel. any ideas? also would like to increase the propane tank size. will a larger one fit?
Old 10-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Interstate

We have owned one for about 13 months.
I also would like to learn about making the front seats swivel. It shouldn't be much of a problem, after all, my 1984 VW camper's front seats swiveled, and were a real benefit.
One other thing, we have the rear kitchen model, and the divan makes into a "bed". Note the quotes. When unfolded into sleeping config, the seat rolls the sleeper into the cold stainless-steel wall. And the storage under that seat is unusable.
That being said, the performance of the Mercedes van is superb. Airstream picked a winner there.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
There ae several companies that sell swivel adapters for the Sprinter van. I believe they are made in Europe and imported. I do not know if they are legal, however.

I am assuming that the seats you are talking about are the factory installed seats. If so, the swivels would work. You must keep in mind that if you put the swivels on, they will raise the seats a bit, and will interfere with a battery if you have one under the passenger seat. If the battery is a sprial type, you can just turn it on its side.

You can find them at sprinteraccessories.com. I have never bought anything from them, so I can not vouch for them.

Steve
Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #22

2005 22' Interstate
Sugar Land , Texas
Interstate interior question

My husband & I have owned our Interstate only since July 2006. We are searching for a cover that will fit the 2-burner Seaward gas cooktop to give us some extra counter space. The company does not offer a cover (liability issues according to their sales rep). Has anyone found anything that will work? All the covers (both metal and wooden cutting board types) I've found so far are too large.

Thanks for any help.

Tricia
Old 10-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
If you or someone you know are handy with woodworking tools, it would be easy to cut a wood one down and dress it up.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I doubt the sales rep knows what he is talking about. Several manufacturers have two burner units with covers. Leisure Travel Vans has a good one that is hinged and flips up to act as a side splash block. My Pleasure-Way doesn't have a cover and I am thinking about making one. I also thought maybe a rectangular pizza tray might work.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Cave Creek , Arizona
Upscale Automotive now offers swivel adapters for the stock seats, but mentions there may be a clearance problem with some house battery configurations. We switched to an AGM battery in our Interstate and had to lay it on an angle to get it in so we couldn't make that conversion. Be sure to check your clearance and take battery replacement into consideration.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Cave Creek , Arizona
My wife found a 24x18 acrylic counter protector (cutting board with counter lip) at Stacks and Stacks. I made supports for the other three sides out of standard 2x2 material and it covered the stove perfectly. Cost was about $25. We store it in the closet while traveling.