Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Were you referring to a product available to consumers? I searched their website to no avail.

I did notice that their warranty for the Dura-Bright wheel includes milky appearance: "For those Wheels sold with the Dura-Bright® surface treatment, Alcoa warrants to the original purchaser for 60 months from the date of purchase the Dura-Bright® surface treatment against (i) filiform corrosion (worm or hair like lines, generally milky in appearance, . . ."
Yes, It is a consumer product. I have some in the shop and I will get the name and stock number and post it tomorrow.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Yes, It is a consumer product. I have some in the shop and I will get the name and stock number and post it tomorrow.
Ever get a chance to see what the product is? Thanks.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Holy Cow!!

I really like my Airstream trailer because of it iconic design, but this is an instance where I would have to go with another brand. From the info I have found online looks like the price for the Mercedes Interstate is going to be around $146,500 - $149,000. Winnebago has been making the 24' View for several year on the Mercedes 1 ton dually chassie with a slide and a great floor plan priced at less than $120,000.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Winnebago has been making the 24' View for several year on the Mercedes 1 ton dually chassie with a slide and a great floor plan priced at less than $120,000.
And a fiberglass body, if memory serves. I've seen the View and wasn't impressed with the fit and finish of the one I looked at.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I would always worry about slideouts. There's enuf stuff to worry about now w/o adding a lot of mechanical stuff.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
I would always worry about slideouts. There's enuf stuff to worry about now w/o adding a lot of mechanical stuff.
I'm with the KISS theory also Shark. There is enough to mess with. Simple combined with dependable, is what makes the journey relaxing and pleasurable.
Road Jager
Old 12-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Ever get a chance to see what the product is? Thanks.
Yep,

It is called Alcoa Wheel brightener, and I could not find it anywhere on the Alcoa wheel products web site. I would assume that it has been discontinued.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I found Alcoa PDQ Wheel Brightener here. Not sure if that was what you had but thanks for the info. Also found this number ((800) 434-7202) to call Alcoa and order but not sure how current it is.

Just hope it's better than all of the other polishes I've tried.

There's also an Alcoa Aluminum Care System that is a spray gel cleaner, a heavy-duty polish, and a sealant.

One thing I read said the Dura-Bright wheels have a "coating" on them. Sounds like they are just clear-coated which would explain why they seemed dull. Probably something like SharkHide.

Edit: Just noticed that the eBay listing is expired.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
GOOD WORK shark! That's the stuff!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
This new Interstate is exactly what I've been waiting for. Very Happy that Airstream decided to incorporate the newest technology. It is this that differentiates it from all other B conversions and especially the Winnebago and Navion chassis conversions. While I like the Navion IQ, it simply can't keep up with these new features (doubt you can even get that chassis with the safety package from MB).

I have a 2014 E-250 and the updated interior has many similarities to my Benz (particularly the steering wheel which is very ergonomic... especially the little thumb notches.. you have to try it out to know what I am talking about.) Glad they stuck with the 3.0 diesel. I have the 2.1 4 banger in my car and it is great, and I regularly top 45 MPG, but have doubts it could power the Van very well. Besides, I want the reserve power for towing. I also have all of the bells and whistles and "Nanny" features on my car except for the "active" features (I prefer to keep control of the steering and brakes myself, thank-you), so this Van corresponds very well to my preferences.

Looking forward to test driving one! May be selling or trading in my 23ft Safari SE LS for one of these.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Just discovered the updated LTV on the updated 2014 Sprinter chassis. Like the Interstate, it has the new safety features like BLIS and Lane keeping. They also offer an option for the 4 cyl 2.1L Inline Diesel engine (same as I have in my 2014 E-250). The 6 cyl costs additional. I really like the Free Spirit TE model.

What they do have that AS does not, besides the 4cyl option, is an optional roof trim piece that surrounds the awning and acts as a fairing for the other roof mounted components, and makes the entire roofline look more aerodynamic (whether it has that desired effect I do not know) and just cleaner and less like an RV which could make it more "acceptable" to HOA's.

I also like the screen door.

Hope to compare to the new Interstate this weekend over at the Tampa SuperShow.

BTW, Fuelly now has an entry by a 2014 Sprinter owner who has the high roof model and the 4 cylinder diesel. He's getting on average, 22.4 MPG. Not Bad.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #32
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
22.4 sounds good but then so does 19+ with ample hill climbing power.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
22.4 sounds good but then so does 19+ with ample hill climbing power.
I am with you there. Esp if you care to tow at all. Contrast his 22.4 to my 45 MPG with the same engine in my car. I have plenty of passing power and acceleration... not so sure about the van. I was pleasently surprised how weell it did compared to my E-320 CDI inline turbo 6. The 2.1 is a Biturbo modl with two inline turbos for additional boost. Passing Power is important for safety and while the 2.1 has a 7 speed, sometimes all that translates to is downshifts and higher engine reving with little boost in power. Thats where the bi-turbo comes in.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #34
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I feel the same way. I normally leave my V6 sprinter in cruise control and it pulls grades just fine while maintaining set speed. I picked my 2014 up last June however had I known my 2013 trips would be cancelled I would have waited for a late 2014 model to get the new technology and 15k service intervals.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote