Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
I have another question:

My son and I have slept in the interstate very comfortably, but now the wifey and daughter want to come along.

Dies anyone have any suggestions to 'enlarge' sleeping accommodations???

My kids are 8 & 9 so three could probably 'squeeze' in rear.

I'd like to move seats around or some other configuration.

It would only be for short periods, maybe a night it two.

Any suggestions would be helpful......

Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
SW , Oregon
2007 Battery Location

In our 2007 the solo battery is in a box that is below the floor on the driver side all the way in the back of the coach. There is an option to have a second battery under the passenger seat. We may be about to find out about that option as we are getting near a replacement. The original was a Mopar auto type that didn't last long.

2013 Jeep Wrangler dinghy
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
I have another question:

My son and I have slept in the interstate very comfortably, but now the wifey and daughter want to come along.

Dies anyone have any suggestions to 'enlarge' sleeping accommodations???

My kids are 8 & 9 so three could probably 'squeeze' in rear.

I'd like to move seats around or some other configuration.

It would only be for short periods, maybe a night it two.

Any suggestions would be helpful......
We have slept small grandchildren in the Interstate with us, which they love but then they are the only ones who sleep.

We wouldn't advise trying to sleep more inside.

We got a tent as they got bigger, and I would think 8 & 9 are big enough to be in a tent outside without you. You could put them close, under your awning, and one adult could sleep out there if need be. Those self-inflating air beds are great, and very comfortable.

We take the baby monitor with us when we use the tent, alerts us to any sounds in the tent and the occasional request to go potty.

You may want to get a hitch hauler to put on the back, for tent, air mattress, extra groceries etc. also great for hauling wood, etc.

We also got a 12volt cooler for when the kids are with us, which greatly expands that limited frig space and can go outside into that outlet once you are parked.

Nifty that the rest of the family wants to come along!

Maggie
Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Dies anyone have any suggestions to 'enlarge' sleeping accommodations?
You can do it if you "cheat" a little. While I was shopping for a mini-motorhome, I also looked at the Roadtrek Adventurous. It had optional bunks. The way it worked was, if you have four front seats, you turn the driver's and front passenger's seats to face the rear and slide them as close to the dashboard as they would go, and the bunks bridged across from the front seats to the rear seats. Those would probably be better for the kids, leaving the big bed in back for the adults.

You could either order them from a Roadtrek dealer or just steal the concept and make your own out of 3/4-inch plywood, memory foam, and a piano hinge to fold them in half for storage. If you make your own, you'd probably want to add supports in the middle to keep them more stable and prevent sagging.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

You can do it if you "cheat" a little. While I was shopping for a mini-motorhome, I also looked at the Roadtrek Adventurous. It had optional bunks. The way it worked was, if you have four front seats, you turn the driver's and front passenger's seats to face the rear and slide them as close to the dashboard as they would go, and the bunks bridged across from the front seats to the rear seats. Those would probably be better for the kids, leaving the big bed in back for the adults.

You could either order them from a Roadtrek dealer or just steal the concept and make your own out of 3/4-inch plywood, memory foam, and a piano hinge to fold them in half for storage. If you make your own, you'd probably want to add supports in the middle to keep them more stable and prevent sagging.
Do you happen to have any pictures of this front seat sleeping setup?

I looked on roadtrek site and online for pictures but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Do you happen to have any pictures of this front seat sleeping setup?

I looked on roadtrek site and online for pictures but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks
Download the 2012 Roadtrek PDF brochure, which covers all their models. In the section on the Roadtrek Adventurous, it has a floor plan drawing (sorry, no pictures) of the front sleeping setup, and the bunks are listed as optional equipment in the "Features" list.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #35

Balboa Island , California
How do you turn the antenna amp off? Which switch are you referring to as "disconnect switch"? The electrical system is the biggest mystery and I don't think it's well explained in the manuals. My interstate ext is 4 days old. Just learning the systems. There seems to be a lot of parasitic drain I have to resolve. I have the Magnum inverter/charger and Sunexplorer controller for the stock 50 watt panel. I am considering a 100-200 watts panel
Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Bill View Post
How do you turn the antenna amp off? Which switch are you referring to as "disconnect switch"? The electrical system is the biggest mystery and I don't think it's well explained in the manuals. My interstate ext is 4 days old. Just learning the systems. There seems to be a lot of parasitic drain I have to resolve. I have the Magnum inverter/charger and Sunexplorer controller for the stock 50 watt panel. I am considering a 100-200 watts panel
On mine, the switch is located in the compartment above the driver and on the road side of the compartment. There is a little push button switch and a green pilot light that is on when the amplifier is on.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Hello Capt Bill, and welcome to the forum.
The dealer has an obligation to spend several hours explaining everything to you; he gets rated by Airstream on the handover process and after-sales support.
On the latest Interstates the battery disconnect switch is by the sliding door; however, it doesn't disconnect everything, and that is why you will see a drain on the batteries even after a couple of days. For those who park their Interstates outside, the solar panel is able to compensate to some degree. I keep mine in a garage, so I have keep it plugged into either a trickle charger or a shore line to keep the batteries topped up.
On mine the disconnect switch also disables the antenna amp. You will see the free light go off.
Good luck! Peter
Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #38

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Bill View Post
How do you turn the antenna amp off?
Already answered by others.
Quote:
Which switch are you referring to as "disconnect switch"?
Big red switch with a picture of a battery on it. By the sliding door in 2014s, under the sofa in my 2012.
Quote:
The electrical system is the biggest mystery and I don't think it's well explained in the manuals.
Not helped by the lack of a wiring schematic. But then again, if they included a wiring schematic, they'd have to follow it, rather than making things up as they go along. Even within a model year, you'll find exceptions on individual Interstates, where the installer wasn't paying attention to what he was doing.
Quote:
There seems to be a lot of parasitic drain I have to resolve.
Some of it can be learned by experimentation. But in general, any time you have anything turned on, there is a drain, so the only way to minimize parasitic drains is to consistently turn off everything.
On some Interstates, the battery disconnect also disconnects power to the propane solenoid valve. On mine it doesn't. Easy way to find out is an experiment. Light a stove burner. Then turn off the house battery power at the main disconnect. Wait a few minutes. If the stove burner stays lit, then shutting off the main disconnect doesn't kill power to the propane solenoid. Since the solenoid, all by itself, draws about 0.75 amps, that's a whopping 18 amp/hours per day of parasitic drain!
Same sort of thing for the antenna amplifier. On mine, the battery disconnect doesn't shut off power to the antenna amp. Again a simple experiment. With the main disconnect turned off, press the button for the amplifier. If it lights up, the amplifier isn't controlled by the disconnect and will have to be turned off separately when you're done with it.

I haven't systematically tested everything to see what's shut off by the battery disconnect and what's not; I haven't tried the MaxxFan or bathroom exhaust with the disconnect switched off, for example, or the motor for reclining the sofa.

When I store mine, I have a simple checklist.
1 - Turn off the propane solenoid.
2 - Turn off the antenna amplifier.
3 - Flip all the 120vAC breakers to "off."
4 - Turn off the inverter/charger.
5 - Turn off the battery disconnect.
That takes care of most parasitic draws. Whatever is left is low enough for the 50-watt solar panel to keep up.

Since I have an alarm system that still has to be powered even when the unit is stored, I don't pull the chassis battery disconnect located by the accelerator pedal. That means I have to start the engine about once a week to charge the chassis battery, while there's still enough juice in the chassis battery to start the engine!

Since the generator also has to be exercised periodically, I run the generator the same time I run the engine while the unit is stored.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Since I have an alarm system that still has to be powered even when the unit is stored, I don't pull the chassis battery disconnect located by the accelerator pedal. That means I have to start the engine about once a week to charge the chassis battery, while there's still enough juice in the chassis battery to start the engine!
The solar panel also charges the chassis battery on mine.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #40

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The solar panel also charges the chassis battery on mine.
Not on mine. Or else my BIM isn't allowing the two systems to connect.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Could be. I had to have both the BIM & the solar panel controller replaced before everything worked. Almost since the solar panel still charges the batteries even tho they are above 12.45V.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Sleeping for more than two

Quote:
I have another question:
... anyone have any suggestions to 'enlarge' sleeping accommodations??? Any suggestions would be helpful......
I made a temporary cot arrangement across the front seats so our 10 year old granddaughter could stay with us on trip to Niagara last June. I used a collapsible camp cot from Thermarest. It worked OK but was crowded. See attached photo and pdf file of Thermarest cot.

In July we had three adults and a 10 year old in our Interstate. I don't recommend it. The three women slept on the lounge bed and I slept on the camp cot up front. I was the only one to get much sleep. We only did it because it was pouring rain. The next night my daughter and granddaughter used a tent.

Here is a link to one solution used on a Roadtrek.
Roadtrek Mods / Modifications, DIYs, Campgrounds, Class B Mods / Modifications, RV Modificatio: Folding Mattress for Sprinter Front Seats

Also adding two photos of Roadtrek's solution. Note that the Roadtrek seats fold up in a different way than those in Interstate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1278150.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	201643   Click image for larger version

Name:	RT Front Bed View 1.jpg
Views:	1645
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	201645  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RT Front Bed View 2.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	201646  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thermarest Cot.pdf (64.4 KB, 86 views)

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote