Old 07-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #15
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
This is where 3.6 volts are permanently exist, even when all vehicle lights are in off position:
(yes there was 7-to 4 pin connector when I was measured)))

I have led lights on my motorcycle hauler and have to unplug lights when parked to keep from draining battery.

RE towing. Have towed the 5,000# limit + on mine over 3,000 mile trips from NC to So Cal. Struggled in Rockies (north route via IL one trip) does decent in Appalachian mountains. 45 mph in the truck lane more than I liked - but 17 mpg was average & ride in rear seats was actually comfortable.

Mike

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Mike, have you ever measured voltage in your rear hitch outlet with all lights off?

Also, ride in your rear seat was comfortable - why?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:43 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Also, ride in your rear seat was comfortable - why?
The tongue weight on the hitch moderates the bounce. The added weight of the trailer tongue not only reduces the height of the bounce, but also makes the bounce slower, so that there's less of a catapult effect.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #18
The SilverSleeper

1992 21' Sovereign
Daphne , Alabama
Mountains

We have been on Interstate 40 & 26 with no problems , been to Asheville and Knoxville. You do have to be careful going down hill but going uphill was never a problem. Also remember our MB engine is a 5 cylinder and it's a 2500 not a 3500 which have a V6 engine. The 21ft Sovereign has a dry weight of 3900lbs, and is not as tall as the van so there is no wind pressure that reduces the MPG. I might add that you hardly notice that the trailer is back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	266094  
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Passed through Knoxville yesterday on my way home from Lewisburg. Being a flatlander from Louisiana, the up-and-down terrain around Knoxville did make me a bit nervous, especially since it was raining and visibility was reduced. But my Interstate handled pulling my 3000-pound toad on those roads without incident due to judicial use of downshifting on the downslopes to maintain my desired speed. Hardly had to touch the brake at all unless someone cut too close in front of me and braked.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario
Send a message via AIM to TRIPPPIN Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I owned a 2008 Sprinter motorhome I purchased from Can Am RV in London Ontario. Andy Thompson used it before I purchased it to tow a 34 foot Airstream and wrote an article on it for RV magazine. Call Andy and he can tell you about the setup.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
I have led lights on my motorcycle hauler and have to unplug lights when parked to keep from draining battery....
I have a rear hitch carrier with LED light and have had the same experience. I understand the low voltage in this circuit is part of the Sprinter's system to detect a light that isn't working.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I have a rear hitch carrier with LED light and have had the same experience. I understand the low voltage in this circuit is part of the Sprinter's system to detect a light that isn't working.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Sprinter's system detects a light that is not working sounds logical. But in this scenario the low voltage should be present then in all Mercedes lights when they are off. I'm not sure it is, however possible.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
That is exactly what I was thinking. Sprinter's system detects a light that is not working sounds logical. But in this scenario the low voltage should be present then in all Mercedes lights when they are off. I'm not sure it is, however possible.
The voltage went passing the current through an incandescent light bulb is likely not enough to light the bulb. Think resistor. This issue is not unique to our Sprinters.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-131265.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html
Old 07-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
Yes this is correct. I have placed load resistors in one of my other benzes to fool the SAM in using LEDs.

But I don't think that front lamps, marker lamps, and other lights that have detecting failure sensors in the Sprinter main computer, have low voltage on the connectors when those lights are in off position. But all trailer connector wires in Sprinter hitch receprical always have 3.6 volts there:

turn off all lights, take your voltmeter and measure - and you will see that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	266188