Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
Glad to see the amount of sharing and observations on my question and concerns about brake pedal feel.

Quote:
brake pedal feel does not equate to brake effectiveness
I agree. But I will also offer, if one were to jump into any car, drive off and when applying the brakes, the pedal descended to say half way down its travel or in an exaggeration, 2/3's of its travel, the driver would be concerned believing something was wrong with the braking system.

We have been conditioned to believe that correctly operating vehicle braking system is one where the operator gets the feedback of a firm pedal. Maybe a little initial travel, but a firm resistance saying 1. the braking system is working and 2. there isn't air in the hydraulic lines compressing. This is the historical standard that is in our cellular memory.

In a sudden braking situation, especially driving a vehicle approaching a 10,000 GVW, I don't want to be thinking "Its going to be OK; the ABS, ASR, BAS, EBD and ESP are going to slow and stop me".

Don't get me wrong- I really like these systems. I think they are absolutely terrific. We are truly lucky to have this technology to ensure increased safety. They are wonderful.

But ... a soft, spongy, sinking brake pedal.... no. And this is not even during an emergency stop.

I plan to visit my local MBZ dealership and survey a few 2106 Sprinter models. My plan is not to even drive them. Just start them and push the brake pedal and see if indeed this is an across the board characteristic of later Sprinter vans. I will report back.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post

I plan to visit my local MBZ dealership and survey a few 2106 Sprinter models. My plan is not to even drive them. Just start them and push the brake pedal and see if indeed this is an across the board characteristic of later Sprinter vans. I will report back.
If the van isn't moving, the computer may sense that and the braking system may respond differently. One thing I learned (and relearned) in my career is when doing an experiment, it's best to only change one variable at a time. So suggest driving the 2016s for comparison.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Curious as to Haasman's follow up on this issue. Had to hit the brakes in a panic stop situation in Rio Ranch NM last week....everything worked just fine
Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
When I test drove an Interstate a week ago, compared to my land rover, the brakes felt horrible. Mushy as reported. But when pressed hard, they did the job. Seems like they are turned to not be grabby.

After driving it for a while, I acclimated and didn't notice issues.

I can't tell you how many times I have driven my wife's car, thinking something was wrong with her brakes, only to realize it is the difference between the feel of my brakes to hers.

That said, I will be picking up mine this week and will report back on whether the brakes are really broken or not.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
As far as I'm aware, all reports on this forum of issues with brake pedal feel have been dismissed as working as designed. But in our case, the real issue is the pedal travel being so long, my wife at just over 5 foot cannot comfortably press the pedal right down.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Mar , California
I have not been able to get to the dealer to check out other Sprinters. Just finished jury duty. Still on my radar to do so.

Will report back my findings.

Haasman