Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Airstream Interstate 2014 versus 2013 Model

Hi All,

I'm currently looking to purchase an Airstream Interstate and noticed that the 2014 models are beginning to roll in. Does anyone know what the differences are between the 2014 and 2013 model years?

Also, as the new models come out, what should I expect to pay for the 2013 model or the new model? I'm assuming the 2013 will go down slightly whereas the 2014 will be closer to MSRP.

Thanks for your help!
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the forum.

Didn't realize the 2014s were out but will check the Airstream website to check the differences. I wouldn't count on much of a discount on the 2013s still on the lot tho.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
What 73Shark said. More likely, there will be no discount on the unsold 2013s, but the MSRP of the 2014s will be higher by at least 5 grand, if past years are anything to judge by.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Ashburn , Virginia
I am also shopping for a new Interstate. I talked to a dealer and this is what he had to say.
"For 2014 the Interstate will be built on the existing 2013 Mercedes Sprinter chassis, the solar panel and 2nd TV are now standard"

I wanted to know if there are any major differences, specifically any improved back suspension systems, and it seems that they have just added few options as standards to 2014.
tishaeisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I talked with my local dealer and a sales rep at Airstream. This is what they had to say:

Local Shop:
"The new body style for the 2014’s won’t be out until October and other than rounding the corners the equipment and interiors will be the same as the 13’s. I haven’t seen any bulletins on the 2014’s so I don’t believe there are any changes in equipment or options. The only difference in the 2014’s prior to the new body style is a price increase over the units we have in stock now."
Airstream:
"The new 2014 Interstates will be arriving on the dealer lots around mid May. The only changes are the 2nd TV and solar panel options (where available) are now a part of the standard build and added into the price. They will also have a commodities price increase of 1 to 2 percent."
I was a bit confused given the two different responses and asked him to clarify. Here's the response:
"...there are 2 separate model years. Currently we are building 2013 Interstates on 2013 Sprinters. In May we will be building 2014 Interstates on 2013 Sprinters. The Sprinter is an incomplete vehicle until we build on it and then we give it a model year.

Yes, I have heard that the 2014 Sprinter is supposed to have some styling changes to the headlights and taillights. I also heard it would be November until we see them. This will not change the model year for the Interstate it will still be a 2014."
I'd still like more info if anybody has it. Thank you all for your help so far. No details on the Airstream site yet.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I also found this, which may be relevant to the Sprinter Chassis upgrades:

Mercedes-Benz will unveil a new Sprinter for 2014; it will have more aggressive styling, new sheetmetal fore of the B-pillar, and will thereby will less resemble a perpetually grinning cartoon frog. It will most likely gain safety features from the car realm: Blind Spot Assist, Lane Assist, maybe even adaptive cruise control. Maybe even 4MATIC. Maybe even an coffee maker in the glovebox. "Sometimes it's hard to communicate between the car and the van teams," said a Sprinter engineer who preferred to remain nameless.

Source: Vannin' the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter in Anaheim - Autoweek
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
What's 4MATIC?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
What's 4MATIC?
Probably like on my Honda, which has two settings on the automatic transmission, D and S (as opposed to D-3-2-1). In "D" the transmission works like any automatic transmission; in "S" you have to shift it manually, but there's no clutch.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Ashburn , Virginia
4Matic, derived from 4wheel-drive and automatic, is the name of the AWD four-wheel drive system developed by Mercedes-Benz.
tishaeisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishaeisha View Post
4Matic, derived from 4wheel-drive and automatic, is the name of the AWD four-wheel drive system developed by Mercedes-Benz.
Ah! Thank you for the explanation.

Dumb question, is it still considered 4-wheel drive if the real axle's a dual and there are six wheels on the ground?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
For reference when you get to negotiating price, when I bought my 2012 it was the first one on the ground at the dealer where i purchased (this was summer of 2011). I got about $16k off sticker and there were still 2011's on the lot. In fact. I paid just a couple grand more than the price I had already negotiated on the 2011 I was prepared to buy when I jumped ship to the newer model (I believe the resale on the year newer model with always be at least as much as the $2k I spent to get it ... plus it had the 3 point seat belts on the 2nd row that the 2011 did not).

Last I read on the sprinter forums the Sprinter 4-matic was not going to come stateside until at least 2015. Not sure what the correct nomenclature would be for an AWD dually. 6x6? What do the domestic pickup manufacturers call them?

Regardless of what safety options MB makes available I expect Airstream will continue to buy the most basic, least expensive shell they can. There were a lot of MB factory options available for the 2011 chassis mine was built on that Airstream did not add, but I would love to have. I wonder if you could get them to let you order your own chassis from MB equipped with the options you want? I'd think about trading up to a new one if I could customize my build! I suppose if I want a custom I probably need to think about a Sportsmobile build.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Not sure what the correct nomenclature would be for an AWD dually. 6x6? What do the domestic pickup manufacturers call them?
All that I've seen are called 4X4.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Wow. This is interesting. The new 2014 Mercedes chassis (available in the fall) has a 37mpg fuel efficiency. How quickly will Airstream build on these? How will the fuel economy change versus the chassis ratings itself?

2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter First Look - Truck Trend
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by migriffin View Post
Wow. This is interesting. The new 2014 Mercedes chassis (available in the fall) has a 37mpg fuel efficiency. How quickly will Airstream build on these? How will the fuel economy change versus the chassis ratings itself?

That mileage estimate is probably for the 2500-series short-wheelbase low-roof model. Pretty safe bet that the 3500-series, long-wheelbase high-roof regular and extended models that are used for class B conversions won't get that much, even before a thousand pounds of interior cabinetry and appliances are added.

Sounds like the major drivetrain difference is two extra ratios on the automatic transmission. If both of those are overdrives, as seems likely, they will only help when you're cruising the interstate highway system and don't intend to pass anybody. As soon as you have to downshift to pass, or you slow to in-town speeds, fuel economy will probably drop back where it's always been for Sprinters. Just my guess.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:

NO ONE will see 37mpg from this Sprinter, just as I never saw 27mpg from my '04 Sprinter....even before I loaded it up. Driving empty at 55mph.....maybe! I got a maximum of 22 empty in real world driving. After loading it with all of my tools and storage boxes.......20.

Then when ULS diesel was the only fuel available, I immediately dropped 2 MPG to 18. My new '11 Sprinter 2500 high roof gets even less......16-18 in real world driving. Still, a solid 25-30 would be nice!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Air suspension sounds pretty nice.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
2014 Sprinter

Quote:

We got a briefing from the MB Regional Manager on the 2104 Sprinters at Sprinter Feast East last month at Sun Motors. The 2014 Sprinters will have the 4 cylinder diesel with 7-speed automatic to get the higher mileage and keep up with the competition from Ford and Dodge. It will also be available with the current V-6 diesel and 5-speed auto. That will likely continue to be the choice for these heavy B-van conversions.

He also confirmed that they were still looking at the AWD option for 2015.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote