Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #61
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
I would never use solid core wire in a vehicle. It's just to susceptible to vibrations. If it develops a crack, there is no bypassing the cracked strand like in a multi strand wire. That added resistance is a potential fire source.

Does it mean that we're all driving time bombs? No, but there is a reason that marine construction standards differ from residential building codes. The entire industry does this so that isn't specific to Airstream or Thor.

Actually, ABYC marine wiring standards are light years ahead of any RV standards used today.

When I took my ABYC Marine Electrician certification course, all of the marine guys ( and a specially the instructors) were absolutely horrified as I described the typical wiring and terminations used in most RVs.

They totally lost it when I showed them an RV 'speed wire ' 120 VAC outlet that uses brass grab forks to pierce the Romex as it is pressure fit between them. They simply could not believe it was allowed!!!!!! I can't either!!!!

Another reason I use marine wiring standards exclusively.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
Old 06-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Thanks for pointing that out Lew. That speed wire 120 AC outlet is still in our AI. I was shocked when I first saw it. It will be gone when I rewire the van.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out Lew. That speed wire 120 AC outlet is still in our AI. I was shocked when I first saw it. It will be gone when I rewire the van.
No charge!!
Old 06-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
I appreciate all the adequate Ladies and Gentelmen for being cooperative in the past 5 months communication with Mr. B.

Wish all of you good days and miles on the roads!

Sincerely,
Mr. B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	263976  
Old 06-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Lake City , Michigan
When you go all the way to Jackson Center and have an "experienced" tech tell you your fridge is only 110 volt AC but the ID tag on the fridge lists 12 volt DC & 110 volt AC. Something is wrong... VERY WRONG!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #66
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Mr B.
You have apparently never travelled in a Zetros!
An interstate is a mere toy in compare!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Lake City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I very love my bus and it is the most usable and the most convenient vehicle in the park of my cars.

I love my bus, because it is a Mercedes, and because nothing better but Airstream Interstate on the van-sized body you can buy for a hundred + some thousand dollars.

However, having enormous experience with hi-end vehicles and different benzes in the past, I was not able not to open this thread of unprofessional craftsmanship of the Airstream in producing a conversion of Sprinters. They made a great furniture and excellent engineering of the Interstate. However, they cut corners doing their assembling job very fast, they did not pay attention to any details, they simply used workers with two left hands in a production line of Sprinter conversions (forgive me, left-handers, that was not about you).

Insufficient glues, not pressed double-side tapes, leaking vents, non-tighten screws, and a lot of other small things which are pain in the bottom... Every day I fix the flaws in my bus, doing it more and more precise. Yes, it comes better every time my hands touch it.

But I can't believe that for these money Airstream is not able to hire a good technicians in assembly line, instead of those whose job place must be asking "paper or plastic" in a food supermarket.
When you go all the way to Jackson Center and have an "experienced" tech tell you your fridge is only 110 volt AC but the ID tag on the fridge lists 12 volt DC & 110 volt AC. Something is wrong... VERY WRONG!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I appreciate all the adequate Ladies and Gentelmen for being cooperative in the past 5 months communication with Mr. B.

Wish all of you good days and miles on the roads!

Sincerely,
Mr. B
Going somewhere?
Old 06-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Actually, ABYC marine wiring standards are light years ahead of any RV standards used today.
But they are not mandatory in boating industry either. I can't tell you how many things I have improved to make ABYC or better compliant in boats. It is a voluntary standard but should be mandatory given the life and death impact in a boat as opposed to RV.
Closed Thread