Old 01-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Saw this on YouTube Ultramobility - starting around 3:00 minutes.... Regency RV Class B's

A Promaster with a height extension so there are double cabinets around the top and just for IB.... wait.for.it..... double jacknife couches in the back that convert!!!!! The downsides are that it looks like you would likely have to sleep crosswise since the bed length is shorter than the T1Ns (53x73 versus 70x76 in the T1N), and the additional height did not go into the bathroom... But for a very tall person, the standing height is 7'4". Humble Road also had some quick walkthroughs of a Promaster and a Sprinter, but the Promaster George showed was the traditional sofa.

Wasn't sure if anyone else saw this, so wanted to post it....

Bugs

bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #72
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
the Promaster George showed was the traditional sofa.
Bugs
Passed a Promaster-based B yesterday. I didn't catch who the manufacturer was. I think the Promaster is unbearably ugly. I would even choose a Ford Transit-based rig over the Promaster, although I find the Ford grille very ugly.

Ford quite obviously made a Chinese copy of the Sprinter and then ruined it with an ugly grille.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #73
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Wasn't sure if anyone else saw this, so wanted to post it....

Bugs
BUGSBUNNY - This definitely would appeal to tall customers. Enjoyed the vid. I did not like the part where they somehow limited the bath height to still under 6ft. Not sure what limits that height? I owned a van conversion in the early 90's and it also had a fiberglass raised cap. I hope the technology has gotten better on these caps, i.e. addressing leaks. It would've been nice if the high roof came from factory, i.e like the MB Super High Roof, not fiberglass. But even MB is no longer offering the Super High Roof option. Being a short person 5'5", I have no need for the extra height. But 3 of my taller 5-footer friends who are 5'16" and 5'17" still have to duck in my van They would love this. The bed length would not be ideal for them.

JOHN - Yes, especially after owning a Sprinter and then with the newly designed 2019 Sprinters, it is hard to give up the aesthethic advantage the Sprinter has over ALL it's competitors. The only way I would consider a different van that has less aesthetic appeal than the Sprinter is if their electro-mechanical systems are far superior to those in the Sprinter. And in that area, the Sprinter still excels above them too. So there ya go, I am stuck with the Sprinter for awhile
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
...and just for IB.... wait.for.it..... double jacknife couches in the back that convert!!!!! ....

Regency has been doing their market research. They're in Fort Worth, and I wonder if they've been looking at any local vanners for inspiration. I haven't been the only one to point out the jackknife market hole.

That thing is obviously aimed at tall people but also those who have kids. With those dimensions, some clever bugger is going to figure out how to add kids' beds vertically.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I am under 5.5 and hubby is about 6, so our Sprinter is great. The guy that bought our 345 Classic MH was 6'4". One of the appeals of the classic was the high roof line in it for him and the first thing he said when he came to look at it.

Not sure how this would do in the wind either, but it is good to have options and may just be the right thing for some.

The Promaster for us is out because of the lack of 4x4, and we just like the Sprinter better. We really like our T1N and can't see switching to anything else at this point other than a 4x4 Sprinter - and that would be very unlikely due to our style of camping at this point.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I have avoided posting the substantial interim blah blah blah about Roadtrek, but they went down entirely yesterday. All employees fired and the plant locked out.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/employe...rica-1.4299298
Old 02-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #77
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I have avoided posting the substantial interim blah blah blah about Roadtrek, but they went down entirely yesterday. All employees fired and the plant locked out.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/employe...rica-1.4299298
Oh goodness...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
With Roadtrek gone, that takes out about a quarter of the herd. Wonder how other class b manufacturers will fill the gap? It could impede innovation as they work overtime to increase production. And that's not good for quality.

Time will tell.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #79
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
With Roadtrek gone, that takes out about a quarter of the herd. Wonder how other class b manufacturers will fill the gap? It could impede innovation as they work overtime to increase production. And that's not good for quality.
ROWIEBOWIE - Because it's an icon in the industry, it’s still a valued asset. In theory, if the receivership is done right, it may be spun off to another buyer & may even keep it's name (or under a different name if they feel the name carries a stigma). My feeling is it will resurface somewhere, somehow, & not completely disappear.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
ROWIEBOWIE - Because it's an icon in the industry, it’s still a valued asset. In theory, if the receivership is done right, it may be spun off to another buyer & may even keep it's name (or under a different name if they feel the name carries a stigma). My feeling is it will resurface somewhere, somehow, & not completely disappear.
I would be pleased if you are right. But the Roadtrek topic has been thoroughly discussed for nearly a month over at classbforum and every dire prediction has come true, if not more dire than first thought. It seems now it is to the point where the brand name might survive, but not as anything resembling the current Roadtrek. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I find it interesting that Thor Industries bought the world wide corporation but excluded the North American operations due to issues of Roadtrek mismanagement. That is one way to eliminate the competition, buy-em and/or let them mismanage themselves into infinity(or jail).
Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
I find it interesting that Thor Industries bought the world wide corporation but excluded the North American operations due to issues of Roadtrek mismanagement. That is one way to eliminate the competition, buy-em and/or let them mismanage themselves into infinity(or jail).
Thor is probably not unhappy about the way things worked out. But financial irregularities were discovered during the due diligence acquisition audit, so it looks like Thor initially intended to purchase and operate EHGNA (includes Roadtrek). Thor may, however, had plans (as you suggest) to consolidate their many lines of trailers and class b's to eliminate competition. We'll never know for sure.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Thor is probably not unhappy about the way things worked out. ....
I dunno. The stories coming out from people who have been caught up in this thing are pretty awful -- and they are just going to keep coming, especially going forward as buyers cannot make warranty claims. It might open up more market opportunity for Thor in the long run, but in the short term, I wonder how many customers are going to hesitate for thinking that Thor might be paint-able with much the same brush. Like, is there something that makes Class B manufacturing disproportionately subject to risk or fraud.

To say the same thing a slightly different way, some events do more to undermine overall consumer confidence than to bolster any given brand. My Instagram post from the other day, which was accompanied by the question, "Do you think this is worth the paper it's written on now?" (This RV show sign was announcing a dealer's warranty to supplement RoadTrek's standard warranty).

Old 02-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #84
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
New Brunswick , New Jersey
Anyone looking for Interstate alternatives should research the 2019 Coachman Galleria. Many standard features that hopefully Airstream will copy. Pro Air standard is a deal changer. Just waiting for Airstream to respond. Putting in 4 AGMs took too long. Lithium option could be years away.

AirTurtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote