Old 01-03-2019, 06:48 AM   #57
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
For starters, YES....not that I care about basketball either, or any other "celebrity's" opinion on ANY subject...

I simply consider the source, and drive on...ignoring the opinion.
probably like most people do you

rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
..... But he still screwed up as a CEO for not getting ahead of the bad press. ...
The exact syntax of what he said does not matter to the public - the public knew his intentions. The fact that he took the bait and said anything at all is a boundary transgression, and is both a symptom and a cause of what's going on performance-wise with his company.

Coincidentally, a local professional association tapped me to develop a pro bono presentation on professional ethics along these very lines. I'm scheduled to deliver it in March of 2019 in a central Houston location, weekday evening time slot. If anyone wants info on attending, please PM me. I've got some interesting case studies on what can and does go wrong when boundaries are transgressed in professional working scenarios. It will qualify as continuing education credit (1 PDH) if you have certain technical licenses or certifications.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #59
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The fact that he took the bait and said anything at all is a boundary transgression, and is both a symptom and a cause of what's going on performance-wise with his company.
INTERBLOG - Yes. His big mistake - "he took the bait". The mistake announced his position to the buying public. Every CEO has a position on these issues. But most are not so stupid to let it affect their future viability in a competitive market. There are countless CEO's and athletes and celebrities alike who will not take the bait (regardless of which side of the issue they fall into). If I was so stupid, I would've been fired by HP. He clearly did not take the same dozens of in-service Public Relations & Customer Service seminars that lowly college-grad engineer newbies in HP were required to take before we were released to service our paying customer base. So what's that say about his employees? Worse than him? Glad I never went there for anything. <end rant>
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
No good place for this link but it involves SOB in "the herd", so I thought I'd cross-link it here because it certainly is an eye-opener for the amount of work the author voluntarily put into it.

TL;DR - a customer with extensive engineering experience claims to have found potentially lethal technical violations in Hymer's designs. He went to war with the company and, rather than devolving into the usual customer grumbles that eventually disappear without a trace, it looks like it'll be a fight to the finish line. He dropped this document below today.

The first question that comes to readers' minds will probably be, "How does Airstream do with respect to both safety issues cited in that document?" Answer: IDK. I haven't parsed it in detail.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/at...1&d=1547181653
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
No good place for this link but it involves SOB in "the herd", so I thought I'd cross-link it here because it certainly is an eye-opener for the amount of work the author voluntarily put into it.

TL;DR - a customer with extensive engineering experience claims to have found potentially lethal technical violations in Hymer's designs. He went to war with the company and, rather than devolving into the usual customer grumbles that eventually disappear without a trace, it looks like it'll be a fight to the finish line. He dropped this document below today.

The first question that comes to readers' minds will probably be, "How does Airstream do with respect to both safety issues cited in that document?" Answer: IDK. I haven't parsed it in detail.

Airstream does not use the cheap Chinese inverter/charger that Roadtrek uses and the ground wire meets code before and after the inverter/charger. I doubt that's an issue.

Airstream uses a standard Propane furnace, so the Truma issue doesn't apply either.

The Roadtrek's owner's and Roadtrek's response are a perfect example of what a customer and manufacturer (and CEO) should never do to resolve a complaint. Attempting to publicly shame a large company by a customer is a waste of time and publicly responding by a CEO on Facebook and outing that customer is a good way to get the company sued for libel, not to mention giving more credibility to the complaint in the first place. In my opinion, that shows extremely poor judgment.

Airstream, for all it's faults, has one thing going for them-and that's excellent customer support. What happened at Roadtrek would never happen at Airstream. Even if they had an unsatisfied customer that attempted to publicly shame them, they would just do what they should do-and try to please the customer as best they can. That's all any manufacturer can do.

I am sure they've had customers who were extremely unhappy and simply could not be made happy no matter what they did-and likely bought the unit back-which is the right thing to do rather than get into a public battle and having lawyers write threatening letters, even if the customer is being unreasonable in his demand.

I had a lot of issues with my new unit when I bought it. There are still some design issues that simply can't be resolved. Never was there an instance that those I talked to were nothing but sympathetic and did the best they could to resolve any issue. Airstream at least, post sale, does the best it can to make the customer happy, and even if they can't, you get the feeling they did all they could do to resolve it, and you end up actually greatly appreciative of the fact they care. And the customer support folks should get credit for that. You can't ask for anything more.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #62

Quote:

INTERBLOG - I want to contribute an opinion but the doc is only accessible by classbforum members. So I vote "present"
Old 01-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
INTERBLOG - I want to contribute an opinion but the doc is only accessible by classbforum members. So I vote "present"
ALEX - you don't really want to get into that long running thread on the Class B Forum. It is mostly a lot of ranting by a disgruntled Roadtrek owner who is in a battle with the CEO of Roadtrek, Jim

The thread is titled "Mr. Jim Hammill attacks again". If you are curiuos here is the link.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...gain-7597.html
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
ALEX - you don't really want to get into that long running thread on the Class B Forum. It is mostly a lot of ranting by a disgruntled Roadtrek owner who is in a battle with the CEO of Roadtrek, Jim

The thread is titled "Mr. Jim Hammill attacks again". If you are curiuos here is the link.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...gain-7597.html
MIKE - Well, you did me a big favor in not wasting time. I agree, no need for me to even read just ranting threads, especially since it is a RoadTrek and if it isn't going to further or help any AS/AI issues. Thanks heads-up
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
In a Class B world where inverters catch on fire for no apparent reason with grandsons in the vehicle, it's never clear to me which ranting threads are worth reading and which are not, especially when they declare a risk of electrical fire due to improperly-installed equipment.

I have to ask myself, is this the same type of phenomenon that smoked the Airstream Interstate inverters, or is this something different? Is this some kind of fresh hell, yet another way a fire could happen, or is it isolated to SOB?