Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
FitRV actually has some kind of relationship with Winnebago. ...
I think most people would agree that they are compensated either directly and/or indirectly.

That being said, they do some measure of reviews on other brands. LTV was the most recent, about a month ago. But I don't recall any Airstream-related content from them.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Looks like thereís a Travato 59KL version as well, itís about time a major brand going lithium all out. We just finished a 3 months 15,000 miles trip in our AI, still love our rig but its battery power was a constant worry.

Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
Looks like thereís a Travato 59KL version as well, itís about time a major brand going lithium all out. We just finished a 3 months 15,000 miles trip in our AI, still love our rig but its battery power was a constant worry.
The greatest part of our Lithium upgrade (after the creature comforts that came with adding a big inverter) is eliminating the battery anxiety. Iíve gotten to the point where I only check the battery status every second or third day.

If I could have designed our van from scratch, I would have gone with a 24v or 48v system. Even oversizing all my wires and using 4/0 cables (as big around as my thumb) for the inverter, Iím never comfortable seeing in excess of 100 amps anywhere in the system.
LB_3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I got asked to review the Electrodacus BMS recently, upside and downside. There's nothing to say on downside. It has now spent about a year sitting there doing its job flawlessly (knock wood). You know something works well when there is never anything to do or say about it and most of the time you don't even remember that it is present.

Knock wood again, Amirm's original concern hasn't manifested. The durability of the Electrodacus, as a relatively un-tested road device, was naturally an open question. Could it withstand the constant jarring and slamming that come with living in the rear of a Sprinter? We have at least 10,000 miles on it and no issues of concern have cropped up.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
escondido , California
How do they have the two solar panels wired? two panels with different number of cells (voltage) pose any problem? 160 and a 40 watt seems like it would be very different voltages? I was led to believe that this would be inefficient?
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilly43 View Post
How do they have the two solar panels wired? two panels with different number of cells (voltage) pose any problem? 160 and a 40 watt seems like it would be very different voltages? I was led to believe that this would be inefficient?
It depends on the specs of the panels used. If they have the same output voltage, just different output current, then they can be wired in parallel with no performance loss. Similarly, if they have the same output current, just different output voltage, then they can be wired in series with no performance loss.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:08 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
The greatest part of our Lithium upgrade (after the creature comforts that came with adding a big inverter) is eliminating the battery anxiety. Iíve gotten to the point where I only check the battery status every second or third day.

If I could have designed our van from scratch, I would have gone with a 24v or 48v system. Even oversizing all my wires and using 4/0 cables (as big around as my thumb) for the inverter, Iím never comfortable seeing in excess of 100 amps anywhere in the system.

My current battery setup consists of four Group 24-12v Costco Interstate batteries, when fully charged they are only good for about 20-24 hours before dipping below 50% (280Ah - 140Ah usable to 12.03v) with just the fridge and frugal use of light, fans and a little TVs watching. If the rig was driven daily for 3-4 hours, we would be okay overnight. In your experience, would a 300Ah lithium setup and 2 hours of daily driving gives me longer usage? I heard that the MB alternator can charge up to 200A current and if so is there any danger to the lithium? I can see a voltage dips every hour or so while engine charging vs every 4 hours via the Magnum on shore power, see attached screen grab of my Bluetooth battery monitor...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1521352620.368369.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	306566
Red is engine charging, note the large dips, maybe for the batteries to rest from such strong current?
Yellow is float charging via the Magnum on shore power. Even during bulk and absorb phase I observed no such large dips.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Well, the long-awaited Pure3 lithium Travato review was released, but it's kind of a dud because the alternator crapped out on them. Thus, they were forced into that well-known fate-worse-than-death scenario - shore power hook-ups, ugh.

There's still some interesting content in the post, but I was anticipating a full-on experiential-style review of what it's like to be off-grid in the thing. Maybe next time.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Well, the long-awaited Pure3 lithium Travato review was released, but it's kind of a dud because the alternator crapped out on them. Thus, they were forced into that well-known fate-worse-than-death scenario - shore power hook-ups, ugh.

There's still some interesting content in the post, but I was anticipating a full-on experiential-style review of what it's like to be off-grid in the thing. Maybe next time.
Thanks for the heads up on the blog post. I was waiting for the YouTube vid to show up and would have missed this.

I think the surprising thing to note was the drag on the engine from the second alternator. They must be using some really hefty magnets in that thing to present enough of a load to the engine that they have to tap into the CANbus to monitor engine performance and adjust alternator output accordingly. Yowza. Since this is the Volta system, ANY van using this system will experience the same thing, so it's not like it's a "Winnebago thing". The Sprinter-based ARVs that are being built with this solution will experience the same behavior, but the saving grace there is the torque from the MB 6-cylinder diesel will likely have far less trouble spinning the alternator. It will be interesting to see how this plays out on the new MB gas chassis coming later this year.....

Last.....bummer Winnebago didn't put a "watts in/watts out" digital meter in their system, similar to what's available in the GoalZero Yeti. It's nice to be able to look at the display and see that at the current charge/discharge rate, the battery will be full/empty in approximately X amount of time. Very useful, and hopefully this will be added to their system in a future revision.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
My current battery setup consists of four Group 24-12v Costco Interstate batteries, when fully charged they are only good for about 20-24 hours before dipping below 50% (280Ah - 140Ah usable to 12.03v) with just the fridge and frugal use of light, fans and a little TVs watching. If the rig was driven daily for 3-4 hours, we would be okay overnight. In your experience, would a 300Ah lithium setup and 2 hours of daily driving gives me longer usage? I heard that the MB alternator can charge up to 200A current and if so is there any danger to the lithium? I can see a voltage dips every hour or so while engine charging vs every 4 hours via the Magnum on shore power, see attached screen grab of my Bluetooth battery monitor...
Attachment 306566
Red is engine charging, note the large dips, maybe for the batteries to rest from such strong current?
Yellow is float charging via the Magnum on shore power. Even during bulk and absorb phase I observed no such large dips.
If youíre using 140AH per day a 300AH lithium (240AH useable) would last you about 41 hours. The real advantage in your situation would be the charging rate. LiFePO4 batteries bulk charge all the way until full so you wonít have to spend hours floating. Lithium batteries can charge up to 3C or in this case (900A) but that would likely reduce cycle life. Charging at 120A like Amirm is doing would fully recharge depleted batteries in 2 hours.
LB_3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:57 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
If youíre using 140AH per day a 300AH lithium (240AH useable) would last you about 41 hours. The real advantage in your situation would be the charging rate. LiFePO4 batteries bulk charge all the way until full so you wonít have to spend hours floating. Lithium batteries can charge up to 3C or in this case (900A) but that would likely reduce cycle life. Charging at 120A like Amirm is doing would fully recharge depleted batteries in 2 hours.

Much thanks for the helpful tips!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

Thanks for the link, I guess itís still ďprototypeĒ and what a juggling act to squeeze all the gizmos in there, now even the fresh water is smaller too!
Old 04-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
At approximately $30K MSRP for this option, almost 1/3 of its overall MSRP, seems like a huge jump in price for an entry level Class B.
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
General anecdotal measurement of "the herd" -

Airstream share at the recent Class B rally was 11%. Screengrab from (and HT to) "My Van Trip to Tennessee" YouTube video by Humble Road.