Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirdguy
Hi All,

Thanks for the response to my questions regarding the 190 van. I am happy to report that I did purchase it and now am a proud owner. Hope to c orrespond with more 190 van owners in the future. Bidbirdguy
Congratulations. I suggest joining the Airstream190 list at Yahoogroups.com, if you haven't already. We have a number of members with all sorts of experiences with them.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Alliance , Nebraska
Thanks to both of you for your sharing this oil change info. Now can you tell me: What causes the generator to vibrate so much and is so noisy that one cannot be inside the van when it is running. Several years ago, when I found my 1997 B-Van, 7,000 turned up when I test drove it. The one thing I did not test out before buying it was the generator. (I expected it to be located at the rear of the van instead of under the bed. so this was a big oversite on my part.) Anyway, I haven't used the generator as I would prefer. Recently I obtained the name of someone at Airstream who should be able to help me, but I'm curious how you experienced B-190 owners have resolved such a problem .... if you experienced it in the first place. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Mine vibrates the bed somewhat, and I can hear it running, but it's not that bad for me. I was able to sleep with it running, which is pretty impressive - that sort of thing would usually keep me awake.

Now, mine is a new one (replaced last year); it's possible it's a bit better than the original one. However, I didn't notice a huge difference in how the two of them ran.

But you're not the first to mention this, someone on the Yahoogroups (which is now replaced by the B190.com site mentioned in my sig) mentioned it a while back, too. I'm sure some people are just more sensitive to it, and I'm afraid I really don't know what to suggest to improve the situation - there's really not a lot you can do with the mounting or anything.

Verify that the generator exhaust isn't leaking and isn't loose. That'd be an easy one to check.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Alliance , Nebraska
Thanks, Skater!! I forgot to mention that the generator had only 3 hours on it when I purchased the van. My next effort to resolve the noise/vibration is to get to wherever someone knows what they are doing in removing the generator from the van. I feel that servicing the generator is the urgent step now ... I'm certain it has never been done. Once it is out of the van, perhaps the unanswered question of vibration and excess noise will be evident. Surely hope so. IF & WHEN I get a resolution to the problem, I'll make another post. Till then, Thanks again!
Metch