Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenRVer
at any rate, I have gone through 2 generators and haven't had more than a few hundred hours on each. Now I'm faced with the dilemma of whether or not to buy another Onan or something else. Any suggestions?
I do not have a B-Van but do admire them. Also I do have a Onan Gen-Set which is a 1982 with hundreds of hours on the meter. Most of the hours are what I call exercising. A gen-set regardless of brand needs to be run. New models even have an automatic timer which allows the owner to set and exercise the gen set at regular intervals. I was doing work in Chummy today and ran the gen-set just to operate the drill and a trouble light but it also got its exercise.
I would recomend a complete tune-up with valve adjustment, then a regular routine of running the genset. This way it will last your lifetime.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

This B-Van we bought last August had a non-working generator. However in the ad, Total Sales Solutions of Jackson Mississippi advertized everything on the coach worked, including being able to run the A/C w/Genset while driving.
When we got down there to this Ebay outfit, we later found out there was much more wrong with this B Van. We will leave it this way, It photographed beautifully. Next time, we will look make a visual inspection where possible before we buy. Found a new Onan 2.8 gas for several hundred $$$ less than "presidents club" Camping World price. Snapped it up and put it in. All works well. Found diesel powered rv genset that Sportmobile uses, but none were as small as the Microlite Onan 2.8. We had just enough room in the compartment for the onan.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #17

1976 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
B 190 Wiring schematic

I am installing a 0nan Genset in a 1994 B190 but don't have a schematic of the 190 Does any one out there know where I can get one or know where to connect the ac wires from the genset. There are four wires in the generator compartment but have no idea where they go. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Lew is right, Generac makes a great RV lineup of generators. I'm very happy with mine. The 40G is quiet enough, has stablalized power output, and is self contained. The most important part is the electronically stabalized output. I had it mounted on the rear deck of my old Champion bookmobile for two years and have run it in the belly of Airstream 1 for another year. I figure I've got 6000+ hours on it. I change the oil every two weeks or 200 hours using Mobile One synth. I'm going to change the fuel and air filters today.... before heading back to work with it on Monday. It runs 8-12 hours a day when I'm on the road. The most you should pay for this genset is $1600. delivered!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
There is a 190 that has been for sell in my town for more then 90 days, not sure if the owner is ready to deal or not but if you know someone near mountain city GA that is looking have them PM me for info. Thanks
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Quote:
We have a 1997 B-Van we picked up last fall. I remember reading on this forum about having to remove the Onan 2.8 Microlite Generator to change the oil. I wasn't going to do that, and I wasn't going to drill a hole throught compartment under the genset,'
Just completed my oil change with this trick. It worked perfectly.
1. Go to Safeway (any store) and bought a turkey baster.
2. Went to Napa and got 8 inches of rubber tubing.
3. Tipped B-Van by driving right side (passenger) on the street curb.
4. Stuck rubber tubing onto turket baster and stuck the tube into the oil fill
and sucked all the oil out. Worked Great!!!!
5. Added new quart of oil and presto. Ran genset, checked level. Done!!
Your way is cheaper than mine.

I got something called a Topsider. It is an oil recovery can with a hand pump to put a vacuum in the can. (Boaters use them mostly, and I got mine at West Marine.) There is a long tube that you can place in the oil fill hole of the engine and suck out the oil. It works well. I use mine on the lawn mowers as well. When it is full, you can use it to take the oil to the recycler.

One word of caution. When you pump up the thing, don't put your foot on the can. With the vacuum in the can and the pressure of your foot, you might end up like that science demo in third grade with a can, bunsen burner, and the top. Cool in school, a real bummer in other places. .

Steve
- Give karma - Report post
Old 09-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Oh, yeah, I also use it on the tranny, and I use it to bleed the brakes by myself.

Steve
Old 11-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
gas mileage of a B 190

I'm looking at a 1994 B 190 that has 40k miles on it and the owner wants $11,000 for it. Ford 460's seem like over kill for this size vehicle. As I don't plan to tow anything with it, what kind of gas mileage can I expect at hiway speeds.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 12-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoleman
I'm looking at a 1994 B 190 that has 40k miles on it and the owner wants $11,000 for it. Ford 460's seem like over kill for this size vehicle. As I don't plan to tow anything with it, what kind of gas mileage can I expect at hiway speeds.
Thanks,
Terry
Trust me, it's not overkill. In fact, they're usually more efficient than the 350s because they don't have to work as hard (you're at, say, half throttle instead of full throttle to get the same speeds).

If I'm light on the gas, on level ground, at 55 mph, I get almost 14 mpg. Towing, I get about 10 mpg.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #24

Coos Bay , Oregon
I don't own a 190 class B van but am thinking about buying one. How are they for stability in the wind with that high top? Are they as tippy as they look? Can someone tell the dimensions of the overhead bed? Thanks. Bigbirdguy
Old 01-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Clayton , North Carolina
One thing to remember about the B-van. Don't expect to be able to take it to your regular mechanic. The unit is too heavy for most lifts.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirdguy
I don't own a 190 class B van but am thinking about buying one. How are they for stability in the wind with that high top? Are they as tippy as they look? Can someone tell the dimensions of the overhead bed? Thanks. Bigbirdguy
I haven't had a problem in the wind, even with some heavy crosswinds. Obviously you don't want to be doing 70 mph in any case, but if you're sane about it you won't have a problem. If you find it bothers you, it's also fairly cheap to have aftermarket sway bars installed to counteract the problem.

They are a high top (just under 10' with the air conditioner), but most of the weight is still down low, so they aren't as "tippy" as they look (good word, by the way ). Now I don't toss mine into corners as fast as I would my sporty compact car, of course, but they handle better than you'd expect.

If you've never driven a large vehicle before it's going to feel pretty different, and I was nervous about it at first (despite having driven Suburbans and large pickups), but after you drive it a couple hundred miles it'll feel like second nature.

The overhead bed is 72"x76".

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #27

Coos Bay , Oregon
Smile 190 van

Hi All,

Thanks for the response to my questions regarding the 190 van. I am happy to report that I did purchase it and now am a proud owner. Hope to c orrespond with more 190 van owners in the future. Bidbirdguy
Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
BigBird, we'll be looking for the photos of your new B van. BTW are you a big bird owner? I'm a prior owner of a Blue and Gold macaw. Miss him a lot.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote