Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #321
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Good catch, Boxter. So - on an extreme hypothetical - they could produce a 7600#GVWR vehicle that weighs in at 7599# out the factory door so that first cup of water or stack of paper plates or pair of sneakers etc. eats all your cargo capacity and there's nothing a consumer can do about that. Love it or hate it - it's still good to know.....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #322
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The highlighted red test above is all you will get from our government regarding Overloaded RVs.
Until enough people complain to their state representative (Congress person or Senator) so they take up the issue on Capitol Hill, this will just keep being a problem. The RV industry will not self regulate, regardless of the efforts of the toothless RVIA (very few people know what the RVIA is or does, so having their "seal of approval" on a product means almost nothing). The only other way I can think of where this issue will get sufficient attention is if/when enough people die in these things and the NHTSA investigation shines a light on this (and other) ugly little secret.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #323
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Until enough people complain to their state representative (Congress person or Senator) so they take up the issue on Capitol Hill, this will just keep being a problem. The RV industry will not self regulate, regardless of the efforts of the toothless RVIA (very few people know what the RVIA is or does, so having their "seal of approval" on a product means almost nothing). The only other way I can think of where this issue will get sufficient attention is if/when enough people die in these things and the NHTSA investigation shines a light on this (and other) ugly little secret.....
So we need the manufactures to start using light weight composite materials... cabinets, parts, hardware made out of carbon fiber, titanium. Space age insulation that is lite and more efficient than what they put in there now... LCD blinds to do away with the issues we have to day with those getting out of the rails or not working...

That would certainly cut down the weight significantly without compromising durability of the cabinets and other internal parts or hardware...

Not sure what it would do to the cost of the AI, but it would be an amazing AI...with higher levels of carrying capacity.... THAT would be a cool project to take on if I had the means $$$ to do so....

I need to convince Robert Linton to stop working on his Porsche and take on an Airstream as a project...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cartridge_swing_arm_10.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	313359  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:43 AM   #324
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
So we need the manufactures to start using light weight composite materials... .....
And I also recommend going to the CAT Scale. We have weighed ours, to document for ourselves (and possibly for others) that it is still below GVWR (which it is, but not by much). If there's ever a liability issue at stake, nobody can accuse us of owning a fault component because we exceeded that number.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #325
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
And I also recommend going to the CAT Scale. We have weighed ours, to document for ourselves (and possibly for others) that it is still below GVWR (which it is, but not by much). If there's ever a liability issue at stake, nobody can accuse us of owning a fault component because we exceeded that number.
Where would I find one of those?

Edit: never mind... https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #326
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Not a good report FWIW:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ry-184772.html

FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:36 AM   #327
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Is there any way to find out how many Atlas have been sold? I’ve had this question about all of the newer models, Classic 33, Basecamp, Nest. How many have actually been sold and are being used? I think it would be helpful to understand the depth and breadth of QC issues. If 5000 have been sold and 5 have problems that’s one thing, if 20 have been sold and the same 5 are having major problems that’s a whole different perspective.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #328
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Is there any way to find out how many Atlas have been sold? I’ve had this question about all of the newer models, Classic 33, Basecamp, Nest. How many have actually been sold and are being used? I think it would be helpful to understand the depth and breadth of QC issues. If 5000 have been sold and 5 have problems that’s one thing, if 20 have been sold and the same 5 are having major problems that’s a whole different perspective.
Hi

Airstream has never been very forthcoming about production data.

I think it's a safe bet that at they sell a few hundred Atlas MH's a year. If they make over a hundred Classic 33's a year, that would be a surprise.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #329
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Airstream has never been very forthcoming about production data.

I think it's a safe bet that at they sell a few hundred Atlas MH's a year. If they make over a hundred Classic 33's a year, that would be a surprise.

Bob

During our factory tour last fall Airstream was building Interstate and Atlas in parallel lines across the road from the service centre. There wasn’t room for more than 4 or 5 atlas in the line and it appeared to be a very slow build process compared to the trailers in the main factory.
When we visited again this spring, they are now also building Nest in the same building.
Then, we stopped at Can-Am the next day on our way home and learned that Can-Am wasn’t scheduled to receive their FIRST Atlas until this fall.
I think it’s fair to say they’ll be rare as hens teeth at least until Airstream commissions the new factory.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #330
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
When we were there for Alumapalooza, the Nest build had been moved to a building on the SE end of Jackson Center. On.y the AI and Atlas were being built across the street.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #331
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI a new thread about production delays:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ys-190835.html

Anyone here experiencing similar issues?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #332
1 Rivet Member

2021 Atlas
Ft Myers , Florida
I just received my 2021 Atlas and the first thing that has happened is with the folding stairs. They no longer will retract with the hold button off and the door closed. Anyone else have this issue?
FredQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #333
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Fred,

You have posted to a thread that has been dormant for over two years. I think you will get a better response if you start a new thread.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote