Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Airbag Recall

Got the official recall notice today regarding driver side airbags provided by Takata.

Evidently they don't have replacements available yet.

Anyone else get the notice?

Old 04-26-2016, 05:50 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Got the official recall notice today regarding driver side airbags provided by Takata.
For my Honda, yes, but not for my Sprinter/Interstate.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
This predicament came to the forefront of the public's mind again with urgency this month when a 17-year-old Houston girl was killed by one of the air bags. The Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office took the unusual step of holding up the bloodied air bag during the press conference to emphasize that urgency. One of the class action attorneys interviewed said the following:

"Ball said he wouldn't wait to remove a Takata air bag.

"It's hard to recommend to someone to take a safety component out of your car," he said. "If my daughter was driving a vehicle that had a Takata air bag in it, and that was the only option that she had, I would take the air bag out." "

'I'm not asking you to wait till next week': Check for car recalls, police say after teen's death
Old 04-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:

+1, we did.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Fun facts to know and tell, the airbag was patented as a humane form of execution in 1978 by a retired Ford engineer. It was already starting to see use as a safety device even then, and the patent was intended by the engineer, who opposed their use, to show just how dangerous they could be.

The key to using it as a safety restraint is that it has to fully inflate before it makes contact with your face. If your face hits it while it's still inflating, it can break your neck— which was the original intent of the execution device patent, which had the bag placed behind the prisoner's head like a pillow before being inflated.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Fun facts to know and tell, the airbag was patented as a humane form of execution in 1978 by a retired Ford engineer. It was already starting to see use as a safety device even then, and the patent was intended by the engineer, who opposed their use, to show just how dangerous they could be.

The key to using it as a safety restraint is that it has to fully inflate before it makes contact with your face. If your face hits it while it's still inflating, it can break your neck— which was the original intent of the execution device patent, which had the bag placed behind the prisoner's head like a pillow before being inflated.

Amazing.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

"I don't mean to sound degrading but with a face like that you got nothing to laugh about" Rod Stewart (Faces)
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . .yep, on '08 Subie Outback, dealer said they're only doing 2 a day so get in line. . . . by the way, good info Pro, re-purposed inventions are always interesting. . .. . . regards, Craig
Old 04-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I got my letter from Mercedes today. This recall is for certain Sprinters in Model Year 2007-2014. You can check your Mercedes Sprinter at this web site by entering the VIN. https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall

... or you have a Dodge go to the FCA/Mopar recall site and enter your VIN.
http://recalls.mopar.com/

If yours is a Freightliner you will need to check the NHTSA web site for application. Or you can call Freightliner as indicated on their contact web page.
"Questions concerning Recall Campaigns on any of our products? Please call 1-800-547-0712 between the hours of 7:00am-4:00pm Pacific Time."
https://www.freightlinertrucks.com/About-Us/Contact-Us/

Here is link to the latest info from NHTSA:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...tsa_ids=16V077

The troubling info in the letter I got from Mercedes (copy attached) is that it talks about redesigning the airbag and the time it will take to source, design, test and certify a new airbag. It actually says:
"As soon as a suitable replacement part is tested and available for your vehicle's driver-side airbag, we will send you a second letter notifying you to bring your vehicle in to your local Authorized Mercedes-Benz Sprinter dealer to have this work done free of charge."

The way I read this letter they haven't yet got a replacement tested, much less on a parts shelf ready for shipping.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MB Airbag Recal letter sample 2016020010.pdf (126.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The troubling info in the letter I got from Mercedes (copy attached) is that it talks about redesigning the airbag and the time it will take to source, design, test and certify a new airbag.
What the letter doesn't say, and never will, is that Takata has been involved in lawsuits concerning patent infringement for airbag sensors. Not only do they have to redesign the sensors for improved safety, but they also have do do it in a way that doesn't infringe on existing patents covered in previous lawsuits.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I did some additional digging on the Mercedes recall site and found their FAQs on this Takata Airbag recall.
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital.../takata-pc.pdf

I've attached a copy if you want to read it quickly.

This FAQ confirms what I have read on other forums, that NHTSA has taken over setting priorities for this airbag replacement program due to the millions of vehicles involved. The key risk vehicles are older Sprinters in humid climates. Here is what the FAQ says specifically about priorities.
What NHTSA Priority Group am I in?
If your vehicle is MY2008 or older and you live in the state of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, or Puerto Rico, your vehicle falls in NHTSA PRIORITY Group 1 and you will receive the notification first when parts become available. All other Model Year and States are in NHTSA PRIORITY Group 2 and will be repaired after the PRIORITY Group 1 vehicles.

... I also noted this:
Have there been any reported injuries from faulty airbags in Mercedes-Benz vehicles?
We are not aware of any incidences with the PSDI-5 or SDI inflators in Mercedes-Benz or Freightliner vehicles.

... and this:
Can I get a loaner vehicle or alternate transportation until the parts are ready?
This recall was launched as a precautionary measure. We have had no incidents with our vehicles and there is no reason to stop driving your vehicle.

Drive safe,

- - Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MB takata-FAQs.pdf (66.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-28-2016, 12:43 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Passenger side of BMW replaced one year ago, driver side recall received 8 months ago, still waiting.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Dodge-plated T1N owners...

I've checked with a couple of sites which claim that the only Dodge Sprinter 2500s affected are 2007 and 2008, although the federal website attributes those Sprinters to Daimler and says 2007 through 2009.

All of the Interstate Dodges are younger than 2007, as far as I know (but I could be wrong). 2007 was the last model year that Airstream used the T1N, but those were 2006 Sprinters, unless toward the tail end of the model year they also used some 2007s. Which wouldn't surprise me because they seemed to move into 2008 finishes at the end of the 2007 production year. I've seen a few T1Ns that look more like NCV3 Interstates on the interior.

If anyone discovers different or updated info, please post.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I received my notice today.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:

We did yesterday, it was the first notice for model year 2010-2014. A second notice will come when a suitable replacement is available for the driver-side airbag. No indication how long this will take as they're still in the sourcing, design, testing, certifying and manufacturing phase. From what Protag learned earlier, it could be awhile

WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote