Old 10-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #1

Swanton , Vermont
Air Suspension questions

All,

We picked up our Interstate on Saturday and drove it home.

My garage door is 10' 0" tall and the AI is 9' 8".

The clearance was much less than that and I am wondering how I can use the air suspension to help.

What I would like to do is back the AI up close to the garage door. Press the down button on the Air remote and lower the back so I have more clearance.

I would like to program the M1 button for the lowest setting to back in then program the M2 button to be max height for getting by the steep angle of the garage apron.

Then as soon as it is all the way out I want it to take over and do the automagic leveling while on the road.

Will that all work?
Any one have experience doing this.

Thanks for your help.

Mardawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardawg View Post

The clearance was much less than that and I am wondering how I can use the air suspension to help.
If your driveway is at a steep angle, you may have more clearance pulling forward into the garage rather than backing in, due to the shape of the roof. The slope of the roof in front would allow the front wheels to get past the break-over point first (where the driveway meets the garage floor) before the high roof of the van passes the low clearance point directly under the garage door.

You should be able to use the air suspension to bottom out the rear of the van as well, if necessary (I don't think it will be unless you back into the garage), but beware that you don't leave it down too long. As the rear end lowers, your break-over clearance (where you might bottom out the van midway between the front and rear wheels where the driveway meets the garage floor) is also lowered.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
College Station , Texas
We just bought a 2018 Interstate with the air suspension. We could not adjust the memory buttons.

We went to Jackson Center and spoke to the Service Techs there. We learned that the air ride is programmed and cannot be altered. Airstream has it permanently set..

However,we did find out that if you set the hand brake "one" click you can lower the air ride and slowly move it into position.

As soon as you release the hand brake the automatic leveling will take over.
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time RV View Post
We just bought a 2018 Interstate with the air suspension. We could not adjust the memory buttons.

We went to Jackson Center and spoke to the Service Techs there. We learned that the air ride is programmed and cannot be altered. Airstream has it permanently set..

However,we did find out that if you set the hand brake "one" click you can lower the air ride and slowly move it into position.

As soon as you release the hand brake the automatic leveling will take over.
..........interesting and standing still for lowering vehicle makes sense. However there are occasions where RAISING the rear comes in handy like driving onto ferries, into driveways, dirt roads etc.

Is that possible?
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixkagi View Post
..........interesting and standing still for lowering vehicle makes sense. However there are occasions where RAISING the rear comes in handy like driving onto ferries, into driveways, dirt roads etc.

Is that possible?

I would think so because the VB Airsuspension systems gets an input from the microswitch on the parking brake. With one click on the brake handle you will likely get the parking brake light on the dash, but little or no braking action. Then the brake on signal would tell the VB control system the brake is on and you can adjust the ride height manually.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I have 2017 GT. It is possible to adjust the VB rear height up or down (in Park with brake set) and then move a short distance before it auto levels. I haven't tried this trick with just "one notch" on the parking brake. I would suppose that shifting to drive or reverse would initiate auto leveling. I need to try it.
BMW R1200GS
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
I have 2017 GT. It is possible to adjust the VB rear height up or down (in Park with brake set) and then move a short distance before it auto levels. I haven't tried this trick with just "one notch" on the parking brake. I would suppose that shifting to drive or reverse would initiate auto leveling. I need to try it.
Also try leaving it in gear and applying the parking brake one notch, rather than putting it in park or neutral.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
Amg
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardawg View Post
All,

We picked up our Interstate on Saturday and drove it home.

What I would like to do is back the AI up close to the garage door. Press the down button on the Air remote and lower the back so I have more clearance.

I would like to program the M1 button for the lowest setting to back in then program the M2 button to be max height for getting by the steep angle of the garage apron.

Then as soon as it is all the way out I want it to take over and do the automagic leveling while on the road.

Will that all work?
Any one have experience doing this.

Thanks for your help.

I am in the process of building a home. The garage doors will have a clearance of 10 feet exactly like yours. You indicated the clearance was much less then the four inches anticipated. Please advise if you were able to get your Airstream into the garage at normal height thanks
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
I am in the process of building a home. The garage doors will have a clearance of 10 feet exactly like yours. You indicated the clearance was much less then the four inches anticipated. Please advise if you were able to get your Airstream into the garage at normal height thanks
I believe that he has a driveway at an upwards angle from the road to the garage, and was backing into the garage, so the rear edge of the van roof was actually higher than the 9'8" clearance due to the driveway slope at the point where the sloped driveway met the level garage floor and the garage door overhead. The slope, in addition to the long rear overhang of the van, caused the top rear edge of the van, which is normally well below the 9'8" maximum height of the van, to approach very close to the 10'0" mark right at the garage door.

Which is why I suggested he pull in forward rather than backing in. The shape of the van's angled nose would eliminate his clearance problem when pulling in, and when backing out, the van would remain level until the rear tires had left the garage and were on the driveway slope, so the rear edge of the roof would already be outside at that point and well away from any overhead obstructions.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
The parking brake is not very effective in reverse. So if you do one click in reverse gear you can move it backwards without any problem. I am not sure about one click in drive.

Also, is the <10' clearance due to the garage door or the frame of the garage? If due to the garage door, I suspect the low point if the support rib that goes across the door a couple of feet up from the bottom. Can you add a bit of vertical door track and thus raise the horizontal part of the door track by that same amount in order to get the door to be higher when in the up position? I think you could add a couple of inches at the bottom of the track without impacting the spring tension. But don't do anything to the bottom door roller without first releasing spring tension.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Swanton , Vermont
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
Yes, we did get it into the garage. I'm Mardawg's wife. I was on a ladder yelling "stop!" every couple of seconds. But we did make it in.
VermontKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
Took me awhile, I have copied two pages of the VB air-suspension manual.
After lowering suspension, the secret is to drive less than 5 KpH and the suspension will not change. No need to use the handbrake.

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AirSuspension Info Color.pdf (474.9 KB, 40 views)

TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote