Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
New Member
 
Swanton , Vermont
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 4
Air Suspension questions

All,

We picked up our Interstate on Saturday and drove it home.

My garage door is 10' 0" tall and the AI is 9' 8".

The clearance was much less than that and I am wondering how I can use the air suspension to help.

What I would like to do is back the AI up close to the garage door. Press the down button on the Air remote and lower the back so I have more clearance.

I would like to program the M1 button for the lowest setting to back in then program the M2 button to be max height for getting by the steep angle of the garage apron.

Then as soon as it is all the way out I want it to take over and do the automagic leveling while on the road.

Will that all work?
Any one have experience doing this.

Thanks for your help.
__________________

Mardawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardawg View Post
My garage door is 10' 0" tall and the AI is 9' 8".

The clearance was much less than that and I am wondering how I can use the air suspension to help.
If your driveway is at a steep angle, you may have more clearance pulling forward into the garage rather than backing in, due to the shape of the roof. The slope of the roof in front would allow the front wheels to get past the break-over point first (where the driveway meets the garage floor) before the high roof of the van passes the low clearance point directly under the garage door.

You should be able to use the air suspension to bottom out the rear of the van as well, if necessary (I don't think it will be unless you back into the garage), but beware that you don't leave it down too long. As the rear end lowers, your break-over clearance (where you might bottom out the van midway between the front and rear wheels where the driveway meets the garage floor) is also lowered.
__________________

__________________
Cats and ultraleather Airstream upholstery don't mix!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
College Station , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 23
We just bought a 2018 Interstate with the air suspension. We could not adjust the memory buttons.

We went to Jackson Center and spoke to the Service Techs there. We learned that the air ride is programmed and cannot be altered. Airstream has it permanently set..

However,we did find out that if you set the hand brake "one" click you can lower the air ride and slowly move it into position.

As soon as you release the hand brake the automatic leveling will take over.
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time RV View Post
We just bought a 2018 Interstate with the air suspension. We could not adjust the memory buttons.

We went to Jackson Center and spoke to the Service Techs there. We learned that the air ride is programmed and cannot be altered. Airstream has it permanently set..

However,we did find out that if you set the hand brake "one" click you can lower the air ride and slowly move it into position.

As soon as you release the hand brake the automatic leveling will take over.
..........interesting and standing still for lowering vehicle makes sense. However there are occasions where RAISING the rear comes in handy like driving onto ferries, into driveways, dirt roads etc.

Is that possible?
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixkagi View Post
..........interesting and standing still for lowering vehicle makes sense. However there are occasions where RAISING the rear comes in handy like driving onto ferries, into driveways, dirt roads etc.



Is that possible?

I would think so because the VB Airsuspension systems gets an input from the microswitch on the parking brake. With one click on the brake handle you will likely get the parking brake light on the dash, but little or no braking action. Then the brake on signal would tell the VB control system the brake is on and you can adjust the ride height manually.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 420
I have 2017 GT. It is possible to adjust the VB rear height up or down (in Park with brake set) and then move a short distance before it auto levels. I haven't tried this trick with just "one notch" on the parking brake. I would suppose that shifting to drive or reverse would initiate auto leveling. I need to try it.
__________________
Leigh & Bettie
Houston TX
2017 Interstate GT
BMW R1200GS
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
I have 2017 GT. It is possible to adjust the VB rear height up or down (in Park with brake set) and then move a short distance before it auto levels. I haven't tried this trick with just "one notch" on the parking brake. I would suppose that shifting to drive or reverse would initiate auto leveling. I need to try it.
Also try leaving it in gear and applying the parking brake one notch, rather than putting it in park or neutral.
__________________
Cats and ultraleather Airstream upholstery don't mix!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
Amg
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardawg View Post
All,

We picked up our Interstate on Saturday and drove it home.

My garage door is 10' 0" tall and the AI is 9' 8".

The clearance was much less than that and I am wondering how I can use the air suspension to help.

What I would like to do is back the AI up close to the garage door. Press the down button on the Air remote and lower the back so I have more clearance.

I would like to program the M1 button for the lowest setting to back in then program the M2 button to be max height for getting by the steep angle of the garage apron.

Then as soon as it is all the way out I want it to take over and do the automagic leveling while on the road.

Will that all work?
Any one have experience doing this.

Thanks for your help.

I am in the process of building a home. The garage doors will have a clearance of 10 feet exactly like yours. You indicated the clearance was much less then the four inches anticipated. Please advise if you were able to get your Airstream into the garage at normal height thanks
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
I am in the process of building a home. The garage doors will have a clearance of 10 feet exactly like yours. You indicated the clearance was much less then the four inches anticipated. Please advise if you were able to get your Airstream into the garage at normal height thanks
I believe that he has a driveway at an upwards angle from the road to the garage, and was backing into the garage, so the rear edge of the van roof was actually higher than the 9'8" clearance due to the driveway slope at the point where the sloped driveway met the level garage floor and the garage door overhead. The slope, in addition to the long rear overhang of the van, caused the top rear edge of the van, which is normally well below the 9'8" maximum height of the van, to approach very close to the 10'0" mark right at the garage door.

Which is why I suggested he pull in forward rather than backing in. The shape of the van's angled nose would eliminate his clearance problem when pulling in, and when backing out, the van would remain level until the rear tires had left the garage and were on the driveway slope, so the rear edge of the roof would already be outside at that point and well away from any overhead obstructions.
__________________
Cats and ultraleather Airstream upholstery don't mix!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,074
The parking brake is not very effective in reverse. So if you do one click in reverse gear you can move it backwards without any problem. I am not sure about one click in drive.

Also, is the <10' clearance due to the garage door or the frame of the garage? If due to the garage door, I suspect the low point if the support rib that goes across the door a couple of feet up from the bottom. Can you add a bit of vertical door track and thus raise the horizontal part of the door track by that same amount in order to get the door to be higher when in the up position? I think you could add a couple of inches at the bottom of the track without impacting the spring tension. But don't do anything to the bottom door roller without first releasing spring tension.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
VermontKelly's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Swanton , Vermont
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 14
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
I am in the process of building a home. The garage doors will have a clearance of 10 feet exactly like yours. You indicated the clearance was much less then the four inches anticipated. Please advise if you were able to get your Airstream into the garage at normal height thanks
Yes, we did get it into the garage. I'm Mardawg's wife. I was on a ladder yelling "stop!" every couple of seconds. But we did make it in.
VermontKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 50
Took me awhile, I have copied two pages of the VB air-suspension manual.
After lowering suspension, the secret is to drive less than 5 KpH and the suspension will not change. No need to use the handbrake.

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AirSuspension Info Color.pdf (474.9 KB, 40 views)
__________________

TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Independent Suspension on an Airstream - Timbren Axle-Less Suspension BoldAdventure Axles 23 04-02-2017 03:45 PM
Air tank replacement for air suspension nikiarntz113 Classic Motorhomes 18 12-15-2011 09:23 PM
Rear suspension questions Sebastian DeWitt Airstream Motorhome Forums 0 06-30-2003 03:16 PM
Replacement air bags on the rear suspension? TRAPEZE Airstream Motorhome Forums 1 03-09-2003 09:42 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.