Old 09-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Air Conditioner thermostat

Newbie Issue. I have a 2016 AI grand tour with a Dometic A/C Unit. Took to camp ground for 1st time to try things out. Could not get A/C to come on with shore power nor generator. Wall thermostats would light up when pressed and only clock could be set, nothing more. Had camp host to check out for me also. Enough amps were coming in. Fuse was checked. I have used AC a few times before plugged at my home and also with the generator on driving around town. Any suggestions for anything else I could check?

Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
You said enough amps were coming in, but that's not the right measurement. Low voltage, which is typical at campgrounds, could prevent the A/C from working.

Can you unplug from shore power, fire up your generator, and then turn on your A/C (it was unclear if you unplugged from shore power when you tried before)? If so, then I would suspect low voltage at the campground since you said you had this working when plugged in at home.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Ok. Imback in. Had issues with site and couldn't reply, but...
In regards to my thermostate, I'm still having problems.
1. Right now I'm only plugged into house power. Tried with generator running, and here's what I'm getting.
1. Thermostate lights up when I press any button, but shows no reading.
2. Clock button allows me to set clock.
3. Pressing inside temperature button lets me see inside temperature.
4. Mode, zone, program, up and down buttons, shows nothing when pressed.
5. Thermostate goes dark after a minute.

Any help appreciated. Earliest service date is Oct. 4 th.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I believe there is a reset procedure for the thermostat. IF you have the manual, see if it is in there. If not Google is your friend.

Edit, Looked it up.

When your unit was installed the appropriate dip switches on the electronic control
board were turned on to match your system configuration. Any time these settings
are changed, a system reset will need to be done before the CCC 2 thermostat will
recognize the updated selection. To do a system reset:
• Make sure the CCC 2 thermostat is in the OFF mode.
• Simultaneously press the MODE and ZONE buttons. The LCD will display
“IniT” and all available zones.
• Release the MODE and ZONE buttons.
• Press the ON/OFF button to exit system set up.

Sometimes this fixes things even if no switches were changed. Barring that, check and clean the modular (like phone cord) connectors on the thermostat and inside the AC housing. I think you can get to them by pulling the filter covers.

Second Edit:
I didn't notice you had an Interstate. This may not be applicable, but give it a shot anyway.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delores View Post
Newbie Issue. I have a 2016 AI grand tour with a Dometic A/C Unit. Took to camp ground for 1st time to try things out. Could not get A/C to come on with shore power nor generator. Wall thermostats would light up when pressed and only clock could be set, nothing more. Had camp host to check out for me also. Enough amps were coming in. Fuse was checked. I have used AC a few times before plugged at my home and also with the generator on driving around town. Any suggestions for anything else I could check?
Thinking outside the box—

The thermostat works on 12vDC, and controls both the A/C and furnace. However, the air conditioner is 120vAC only.

So it's possible that you have a tripped circuit breaker for the A/C that would prevent the A/C from coming on but which would not interfere with the thermostat since that's on a separate electrical feed from the 12v system.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks all,
Thermostate is now working and I have AIR. Best part is that it cost less than $30. I decided to use one of the online RV Tech. A little Leary at first, but paid through PayPal so felt more at ease. The first thing I Was told to check was to see if there was a black wire to the thermostate, if so unplug and plug back. Well, I didn't see any visible wires, but as I was handling the thermostate to see if it had a cap that would could off and expose a wire, the darn thing came on!
I'm thinking that with the back TV being right under the thermostate, it may have caused some sensitivity to the thermostate with moving the TV around. The bracket for the TV takes some jolting ever time you move it around and lock it back in place. I am thrilled to cancel the service appointment I had set up.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Interesting Coincidence

After 9 months of operating perfectly, I had the same problem as the OP this week.

I ran the AC all night Monday in storage so that I would not start out Tuesday with a heat-soaked rig. When I disconnected from shore power, I forgot to turn off the AC.

When I arrived 5 hours later at this RV park, I had no AC. The thermostat showed the usual "no AC" error code. The thermostat was locked up just like the OP described. The clock set button would react, but all other controls had no effect. No breakers were popped.

After many attempts, I finally turned off all AC breakers and turned them on again. At that point, the AC started and the thermostat worked correctly. It has worked correctly since.

I'm convinced this is some sort of error state that the thermostat gets locked up in. For whatever reason, removing all AC got me out of it.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote